What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'I'm want out'

gong_eagle

First Grade
QUEENSLAND Origin star Neville Costigan says he is likely to quit Canberra in response to coach Neil Henry's desertion of the capital.

Henry yesterday fronted a media conference and attempted to explain why he told his players only two weeks ago that he would be staying at least until the end of his contract - only to walk away on Monday.

"Everyone is in real shock,'' the 23-year-old PNG-born forward told The Daily Telegraph. "The players were just starting to respect him and play for him. Now he's going, we have to have a rethink. Last year as a new coach, he was pretty intense, wanting to win all the time. He was hard to talk to.

"This year he was getting more easy to talk to. Now this happens. We have to start from scratch.''

Costigan - currently out injured - has a clause in his contract allowing him to leave at the end of the season and has attracted interest from Gold Coast.

"They want me to come up there in a couple of weeks for a look; I wasn't sure what to do but after this I'm leaning towards leaving,'' he said.

Halfback Todd Carney revealed details of a clear-the-air meeting with Henry but said he may not have re-signed if he knew the real situation.

"It could have changed a few things with my contract. I certainly would have taken more time. Who knows what would have happened. I definitely would have waited. The disappointing thing is he pushed me to stay.

Carney said he was "filthy'' with Henry until yesterday when he had sat down with the departing coach. "He said he didn't think he could get a release when he told me he was staying,'' Carney said. "He told me how things unfolded I am OK with it now.''

The Raiders yesterday confirmed David Furner was their new coach, the former Australia second rower describing the appointment as "a dream come true''.

Henry said: "Coaches are normally trying to hold on to their job in places. I was sort of in the position where a couple of clubs were interested in me but I was still contracted and that was difficult.''

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/spor...5006066,00.html

Deanoknights

Juniors
I might put my house on the Raiders for the spoon i reckon they're specails for sure now. ( sorry raiders supporters).

sydraider

First Grade
Deanoknights said:
I might put my house on the Raiders for the spoon i reckon they're specails for sure now. ( sorry raiders supporters).

One would be inclined to and for good reason, costigan however was looking to excercise his clause weeks ago, he was never going to stay regardless of the coaching staff, we offered him a lifeline and he took it, getting back to qld near his family was always going to be his priority. Zilly also was talking of doing the same weeks ago.

manlyone

Juniors
Gees I think Costigin is a bit rich ..... the raiders signed him when he was in disgrace, he seems to be constantly injured or suspended .... the first chance he gets he is out of there!

innsaneink

Referee
manlyone said:
Gees I think Costigin is a bit rich ..... the raiders signed him when he was in disgrace, he seems to be constantly injured or suspended .... the first chance he gets he is out of there!

No different really to Henry. ...he was a nobody ( still is really) wnet to Raiders and got some exp.

donkey|rope

Juniors
he has to play 12 games to get out of his contract. at the rate he goes, he'll still be at canberra in 09.

Hanscholo

Bench
I feel sorry for the Raiders supporters, bad luck guys. I dont know why Henry is leaving or the circumstances but it seems a little rich to me to walk out after 3 games, in particular after Carney signed on the basis of him staying. Henry is no Bennett.

skeepe

Immortal
Henry has stated one of the attractions of going to the Cowboys is that they have a strong roster. So clearly he believes Canberra do not, and he doesn't want to do the hard yards of trying to build a strong team.

Get out now you parasite.

As for Costigan, not once has he spoken about the Raiders apart from being negative. When he went down injured after round 1, he didn't say anything about how disappointed he was that he couldn't contribute to our start to the season, all he went on about was how shattered he was that he might miss the Queensland squad. He's never said he's proud of wearing the lime green, so he can f**k off too for all I care. He's only played a few good games, other than that he's been good for a few handling errors and giving away stupid penalties (eg, slapping Braith Anasta, as good as it was).

Costigan's comments lately have been disappointing in the extreme. His comment when told about Furner being appointed?

"I don't know about that one, I thought they would have at least gone after another NRL coach"

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/ne...rspace-as-team-furner-fills-void/1214547.html

Just go Nev.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Deanoknights said:

I don't think so actually. The Raiders are nearly always tipped for the spoon but i daresay yet again they'll win a good majority of their home games, which may save them

Paullyboy

Coach
No chance Canberra will get the spoon. Feel free to bet your house but I'd be looking for a cosy cardboard box come September.

As for Costigan - feel free to leave mate, I think he's only managed about 3 or 4 games for us because he is always sooking about some sort of 'injury' and when he plays he's no better than our 5th best backrower anyway. How he got picked for Queensland last year still baffles me. We wont even notice if he leaves.

Lego_Man

First Grade
gong_eagle said:
QUEENSLAND Origin star Neville Costigan says he is likely to quit Canberra in response to coach Neil Henry's desertion of the capital.

Henry yesterday fronted a media conference and attempted to explain why he told his players only two weeks ago that he would be staying at least until the end of his contract - only to walk away on Monday.

"Everyone is in real shock,'' the 23-year-old PNG-born forward told The Daily Telegraph. "The players were just starting to respect him and play for him. Now he's going, we have to have a rethink. Last year as a new coach, he was pretty intense, wanting to win all the time. He was hard to talk to.

"This year he was getting more easy to talk to. Now this happens. We have to start from scratch.''

Costigan - currently out injured - has a clause in his contract allowing him to leave at the end of the season and has attracted interest from Gold Coast.

"They want me to come up there in a couple of weeks for a look; I wasn't sure what to do but after this I'm leaning towards leaving,'' he said.

Halfback Todd Carney revealed details of a clear-the-air meeting with Henry but said he may not have re-signed if he knew the real situation.

"It could have changed a few things with my contract. I certainly would have taken more time. Who knows what would have happened. I definitely would have waited. The disappointing thing is he pushed me to stay.

Carney said he was "filthy'' with Henry until yesterday when he had sat down with the departing coach. "He said he didn't think he could get a release when he told me he was staying,'' Carney said. "He told me how things unfolded I am OK with it now.''

The Raiders yesterday confirmed David Furner was their new coach, the former Australia second rower describing the appointment as "a dream come true''.

Henry said: "Coaches are normally trying to hold on to their job in places. I was sort of in the position where a couple of clubs were interested in me but I was still contracted and that was difficult.''

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/spor...5006066,00.html

Heaven forbid the coach wants to win games. LOL @ Costigan, you are a complete neville.

donkey|rope

Juniors
hahaha that made me laugh as well. f**king christ nev, there's not a whole lot doing in that coconut of yours, is there champ?

Billythekid

First Grade
Let Costigan go, his an overated hack who gets injured a lot. Not to mention he doesn't give a crap about the club. Good riddance.

Its more than just that your team wont notice if he goes. More to the point, its that the Raiders will be BETTER OFF.

Raider Azz

Bench
Jatz Crackers said:
Its more than just that your team wont notice if he goes. More to the point, its that the Raiders will be BETTER OFF.
most of us feel the same way. with an attitude like that, who wants him around? its obvious he only cares about number 1, and that is the type of sh*t we could do without. good riddance

Latest posts