What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Image Damage and the effects of cross code moves

Bullseye

Juniors
Farrell at 29 with increasingly dodgy knees isn't a great loss to RL. Wigan and RL have had his best years.

If Union think he's the answer to their problems then they're seriously mistaken. But I'd rather they waste a load of cash on him rather than the next generation of English League stars like O'Loughlin, McGuire and Mathers.

iggy plop

First Grade
ozzy_ozman said:
Danny Maguire wil be a huge loss for league if moves to Union. That same thing goes for if SBW did leave the dogs and ended up playing for the blues in the super 12.

Heard an interview on 2KY with Maguire and he said he was a rugby league boy through and through and scoffed at suggestions.

I guess only time will tell. He seemed more keen to try the NRL than union.

dimitri

First Grade
iggy plop said:
ozzy_ozman said:
Danny Maguire wil be a huge loss for league if moves to Union. That same thing goes for if SBW did leave the dogs and ended up playing for the blues in the super 12.

Heard an interview on 2KY with Maguire and he said he was a rugby league boy through and through and scoffed at suggestions.

I guess only time will tell. He seemed more keen to try the NRL than union.

yeah he seems very keen to come try out the nrl

id love to see him here

taipan

Referee
Auckland4ever said:
taipan said:
Auckland4ever said:
Does image really matter that much?
Dont most people just watch the sports they enjoy? Just because union get some profile league players to convert, doesnt mean league fans are going to do the same. Image means little, substance means everything.

People will still watch the sports they enjoy,but imagine if Umaga,or Lomu swapped over to league and played for the Warriors(it will never happen BTW),the image of the Warriors would jump,more sponsors would lob on board,and the All Black name might not have that same be all and end all ring to it.

Sure, but unless the quality of the product is there, its all fairly fleeting stuff, as the Warriors found out after John Kirwan switched. You or your team dont perform on the field & before long, noone gives a sh*t & your sponsors dont stick around. Image will only do so much & it will only last so long before people discover the true nature of what lies behind it.
I'm not saying profile league players jumping to union is no big deal, I just dont think the notion that it "looks bad" carries too much weight in terms of damaging RL.

Kirwan mad b...all impact when he played for the Warriors ,yes he was a big name defection,but well past his prime.Well in terms of the league defections of the 3 to union in Oz,the union commentators and journalists, went into overdrive predicting the demise of rugby league .
The image was league has nothing going for it internationally,and thats why the players jumped.The tri series proved that observation farcical.
Teams usually perform if they have class players and harmony.The Warriors last year did not have harmony with the coach. If you dont have the cattle, such as the Tuqiris would the Tahs won as many games.
Agree sponsors want a competitive team,however doesnt stop sponsors backing Souths and the Qld Reds,who are not exactly high performers in the last few years.
You obviously know little about the Cronulla Sharks whilst for years going through a bad stretch the crowds still turned up and the sponsors continued coming.
In my experience people follow a code 1) because they like it 2)they follow a class and high profile player eg johns and Lockyer 3)their team is competitive,or various combinations of the 3 .

DIEHARD

----
The opportunity for McGuire to play in the NRL in the future is the ace up the sleeve of the rugby league if he gets bored or the RFU come after him.

A tilt in the world's most intense rugby competition is an adventure hard to turn down.

Rugby Super League said:
McGuire dismisses Union switch

Leeds Rhinos half-back Danny McGuire today dismissed any prospect of following his Great Britain captain Andy Farrell into rugby union by signing a new five-year contract with the Super League champions.

The 22-year-old McGuire, who scored 39 tries in the Rhinos’ championship-winning season in 2004, has signed a two-year extension to his existing deal which will keep him at Headingley at least until the end of the 2009 season.

“I’m a Leeds lad and it was a boyhood dream to play for Leeds,” McGuire told a news conference at Headingley.

“I’m really happy that my future is settled and I can concentrate on playing good rugby.

“I’m a rugby league lad through and through. Rugby union is probably not my type of game.

This club is going places and I want to build on what happened last year.

“I have ambitions with Great Britain, having had a taste of international rugby league at the end of last year. I definitely want to take on the Australians and beat them.”

Tuesday’s announcement comes less than a week after it was revealed that Wigan loose forward Farrell is considering a switch to the 15-man code.

Leeds chief executive Gary Hetherington insisted the announcement was not related but described it as a “statement of intent”.

“There has been speculation and this now ends that speculation,” he said. “This is a significant announcement for Leeds Rhinos and rugby league.

“To know that Danny is going to be within the game for such a length of time will give great comfort to rugby league fans generally and Leeds Rhinos in particular.”

Meanwhile, Leeds have just 4,000 tickets left for Friday’s opening home all-ticket Super League match against St Helens which is expected to draw a capacity 21,000 crowd.

I don't think there are many more things satisfiying than hearing our stars say they are rugby league boys through and through.

Lockyer, Tallis, Johns, Lewis, McGuire...

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
I don't have a link for this yet but this was posted on the Manly site and has a similar feel for what I posted yesterday....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The National Rugby League has taken a significant step towards keeping its players out of the clutches of rugby union by setting up a representative loyalty fund for the game's elite.

NRL chief executive David Gallop confirmed the fund would come into operation this season and would be open to all players in the premiership, including Bulldogs and New Zealand star Sonny Bill Williams.

Under the concept, which has been ratified by the Rugby League Professionals Association (RLPA), 50 per cent of all representative payments would be paid into a fund.

Players would then receive a lump sum payout based on their contribution on their retirement - provided they remained in rugby league.

"It's a form of loyalty ... and I think a good thing for the game," Gallop said.

"We have been conscious in the last few years that players earn a lot of money in a short time and we should be helping them manage that by funds that can accumulate more money but in a way that they have some sort of lump sum to look forward to at the end of their career.

Advertisement
Advertisement"But the players have agreed they will forego that if they don't remain in rugby league.

"That's something that the players themselves have been keen to push with us. They don't like seeing players go over to rugby union." State of Origin players are currently paid $6000 per game and receive a $2500 winning bonus.

Australian players receive $5000 per Test, although last year's Tri Nations tourists were given $10,000 as well as a $10,000 bonus for winning the tournament.

That means the likes of Danny Buderus, Anthony Minichiello and Willlie Mason took home almost $50,000 last season from representative football.

If they replicated that figure this season, they would kick-off the first year of the fund with nearly $25,000 each.

Over a 10-year representative career, that amounts to a $250,000 payout.

"That's a pretty good idea," former Queensland skipper and current NRL board member Gorden Tallis said.

"Obviously it pays for loyalty. It is great for the game and it's going to stop some of these young players from getting the appetite to go over there (to rugby) because the only reason they go over there is for more money.

"All my friends who have left haven't gone because it's a better game, they've gone for more money.

"That's what we have to try to stop." However, RLPA chief executive Tony Butterfield, who was heavily involved in setting up the fund, warned rugby union would still tempt league's elite.

"If rugby union had a desire to get somebody, they would just calculate that amount in," Butterfield said.

"I don't know that we're going to stop players going over. The main purpose of the fund is to give the players a nest-egg when they give the game away." Tallis, who played 17 State of Origin matches and eight Tests during his outstanding career, said the fund would also provide players with time to weigh up their options on retirement.

"It's just a great safety net," Tallis said. "It doesn't put pressure on you to go out there and make a silly decision to go jump straight into business.

"It might give you 12 months to sit down and relax and come back to the normal world.

"It gives you a chance to work for 12 months or go do a course. Most of the kids get pulled out when they are 19 or 20 and you can't get to university