What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Immortal Johnny Raper - Immortal

RedVee

First Grade
Spoke to Brother in law, he reckons he’s saw him play in Newcastle back in the day:

“ One of the best” and he added when he was coaching, he tried get liven up the forwards in terms of offloading and playing less traditionally etc.

He reckoned he had that natural physical health happening and well into his 30s he was still all over youngsters. A vintage Cam Smith I suppose.

Apparently at his peak, he could get smashed the night before, but still turn up early to training, clear as day, was the best trainer, always out in front in the runs and then last to go home. Some kind of unique natural ability to rehydrate quickly.

Then of course, he didn’t waste his natural talent, he had the intellect to harness it too!

Im watching King Wally these days and I’m seeing him turn into a genuine statesman. I like what I see.

His charitable deeds are next level, visits the dying and their families. No fanfare etc.

The current Wally Lewis is nothing like the petulant psychopathic lout of the old days!!

He is an also an immortal in my book….probably for services to Cane toads. Keep the cheeky bludgers happy!!
He used to go for a road run at 4 or 5 am to sweat the alcohol out. That shows dedication.

He used to go for a road run at 4 or 5 am to sweat the alcohol out. That shows dedication.

That doesn’t surprise me!

Imagine being able to get your head and body into a space like that?

It’s frightening.

You could apply that drive in so many other areas of life.

Last edited:

RedVee

First Grade
That doesn’t surprise me!

Imagine being able to get your head and body into a space like that?

It’s frightening.

You could apply that drive in so many other areas of life.
My Uncle lived near Wests Newcastle and, um, enjoyed a drink.
He was a big fan of John Raper, in awe would be close. He wasn’t one to have many heroes. Rapes in footy and Bobby Simpson in cricket, but I don’t think he ever drank with Simpson.
The odds would be pretty high that he would have been drinking in the vicinity of Chook, if not strictly with him.

Wouldn’t dedication be not drinking the night before a game?

Not in those days.

The grog culture was big, knocking back 6 or 8 was going easy.

People could smoke on trains and buses.

And diet was better suited to a northern English town than the antipodes.

Banks opened at 10 and closed at 3.

Houses were ten times less expensive.

It wasn’t all good as gold but people were happier.

My Uncle lived near Wests Newcastle and, um, enjoyed a drink.
He was a big fan of John Raper, in awe would be close. He wasn’t one to have many heroes. Rapes in footy and Bobby Simpson in cricket, but I don’t think he ever drank with Simpson.
The odds would be pretty high that he would have been drinking in the vicinity of Chook, if not strictly with him.

He would have been a great drinking partner. Table with the lads, war stories, game of cards and then kick on to the pink pussycat. Watch a burlesque show, some jazz and see him walk off with 2 girls one in each arm trying to get him into cab and ask him if he remembered where he lived.

And he’d know everyone and introduce you to the big end of town.

A good night out.

We gotta be mindful not to entirely judge the past by today’s belief.

He didn’t abuse the game.

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
You mean he's going to let Canterbury know our game plans?

Yes you could be right about that Willow . He made a tremendous difference to the berries forward pack and as you have said gave them a thorough understanding of our game plans .

Still so many of the Saints players were in the twilight of their playing days and too many carried injuries that their tired old bodies simply could not recover from on the day of the final .

The Dragons had their golden run and all good things must finish , but they had etched the clubs name into the record books and still it remains today as the only sporting club - world wide in any sport , to have won 11 consecutive premierships / championships .

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
All good.

I remember coming across my first fester you posted.

I just about dropped the phone and laughed myself off the lounge!

It was perfect!

Old fester , a moment of sheer brilliance I must confess unashamedly. ☺️

I recall the look of Mary at the post match press conferences and immediately Uncle Fester came to mind and thus the legend ( ? ) was born

Old fester , a moment of sheer brilliance I must confess unashamedly. ☺️

I recall the look of Mary at the post match press conferences and immediately Uncle Fester came to mind and thus the legend ( ? ) was born

Lol, thanks for sharing that moment.

And apart from the similarity of features, the real festers light globe was flashing in his mouth giving him his whacko zany look.

And that’s exactly the same vibe people were getting from Mary. Like he’s the only person in the press conference that genuinely believes he’s sane, while everyone else thought he hadn’t watched the game.

The “real” fester, just a brilliant actor and a wonderful human being.

Same as Mary!

And the classic Mary-isms and his jester suit he wore only once because he obviously got the message that people thought it was too appropriate.

Then while he’s unemployed, he pulls off the miracle of the nsw assistant coaching job.

The second best coach in NSW!

He’s an enigma as we agreed. The second coming in rugby league parlance.

I’m telling you, one day, he will be elected as the nominated coach of the Immortals!

He’s beaten us critics to a pulp and we will all die smiling.

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade

And apart from the similarity of features, the real festers light globe was flashing in his mouth giving him his whacko zany look.

And that’s exactly the same vibe people were getting from Mary. Like he’s the only person in the press conference that genuinely believes he’s sane, while everyone else thought he hadn’t watched the game.

Same as Mary!

And the classic Mary-isms and his jester suit he wore only once because he obviously got the message that people thought it was too appropriate.

Then while he’s unemployed, he pulls off the miracle of the nsw assistant coaching job.

I’m telling you, one day, he will be elected as the nominated coach of the Immortals!

Coach of the immortals - good lawd ! The very pillars of the universe would come crashing down and Zeus the Greek God of thunder , would send thunder and lightning bolts the likes of which we have never seen . ⚡️

Gareth67

First Grade
meds gareth meds you keep forgetting your meds.

You don’t miss too much jak I will give you that . I have purposely been giving them a miss the last few days so as to get all the work done in the yards , before the rains set-in .

Of course the only drawback as far as the missus is concerned is that I talk at 100 mph . ☺️

Reactions: jak

Gareth67

First Grade

Same as Mary!

I do recall Jackie Coogan acting in many films , he career started when he was only a little kid .

But as you said Silverdale apparently the man had a heart of gold and often visited hospitals to cheer the sick folk-up . A world war 2 veteran also as many an actor were in those days .

Latest posts