What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Immortal Johnny Raper - Immortal

State Funeral for Johnny offered as we all thought appropriate:

The biggest funeral in rugby league history.

The SCG trust have a video on him, talking about the sanctity of ground. Once again, he said he only played well thanks to others.

But all things considered, I’d be holding the ceremony at Kogarah Jubilee, the wake at the Taj. Johnny has to be brought home.

And let everyone mingle, no closed off areas for dignitaries and officials.

Jerseys good to go and @Gareth67 and @LINESPEED to share a lager or Pepsi with Mary. No regrets or nonsense.

Set the DNA free so Gus doesn’t miss it again!
He will be choking on it.

An maybe, just maybe, Vlandys can announce the formal return of the stolen premierships.

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
State Funeral for Johnny offered as we all thought appropriate:

The biggest funeral in rugby league history.

The SCG trust have a video on him, talking about the sanctity of ground. Once again, he said he only played well thanks to others.

But all things considered, I’d be holding the ceremony at Kogarah Jubilee, the wake at the Taj. Johnny has to be brought home.

And let everyone mingle, no closed off areas for dignitaries and officials.

Jerseys good to go and @Gareth67 and @LINESPEED to share a lager or Pepsi with Mary. No regrets or nonsense.

Set the DNA free so Gus doesn’t miss it again!
He will be choking on it.

An maybe, just maybe, Vlandys can announce the formal return of the stolen premierships.
Lager , Pepsi be damn my friend - I will be getting him to buy me a few Scotch & Drys ! ☺️

Lager , Pepsi be damn my friend - I will be getting him to buy me a few Scotch & Drys ! ☺️

Schooners of bourbon and Coke!

Yeah he owes the whole club a few!

But as you know, Fester’s journey at sgi is only just beginning.

State of origin coach as soon as Freddy cracks!

Have you had a look at Johnny’s early career? geez he hit the game with a fury unknown.

And not exactly a one hit wonder either with a career life span of at least 5 times the modern players. 5 times.

And that’s under “ anything goes” old school rules and a penchant for setting up and scoring.

So far out in front…

Frank Hyde said he once had the best game he’d ever seen in his life. Frank had seen many games!

There’s almost no dignity in the game left.
Almost no commentators and only a handful of players and coaches seem composed and trustworthy.

It’s a pity Johnny saw the decline in all this and the game reach new low standards, beyond the relatively innocent boyish naughtyness of his day.

Johnny was a flirt, but he never groped- if you understand me.

Obviously the family are thinking of the fans with the state funeral acceptance. Nice touch.

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
Schooners of bourbon and Coke!

Yeah he owes the whole club a few!

But as you know, Fester’s journey at sgi is only just beginning.

State of origin coach as soon as Freddy cracks!

Have you had a look at Johnny’s early career? geez he hit the game with a fury unknown.

And not exactly a one hit wonder either with a career life span of at least 5 times the modern players. 5 times.

And that’s under “ anything goes” old school rules and a penchant for setting up and scoring.

So far out in front…

Frank Hyde said he once had the best game he’d ever seen in his life. Frank had seen many games!

There’s almost no dignity in the game left.
Almost no commentators and only a handful of players and coaches seem composed and trustworthy.

It’s a pity Johnny saw the decline in all this and the game reach new low standards, beyond the relatively innocent boyish naughtyness of his day.

Johnny was a flirt, but he never groped- if you understand me.

Obviously the family are thinking of the fans with the state funeral acceptance. Nice touch.

It is most pleasing Silverdale that there shall be a state funeral for him , he certainly deserves it not only for being a tremendous rugby league player , but also for being a very decent man .

It is most pleasing Silverdale that there shall be a state funeral for him , he certainly deserves it not only for being a tremendous rugby league player , but also for being a very decent man .

Yes, so according to everything i’ve read and heard, listening and watching him.

SGI have had some massive figures over the years.

Over-represented, something in the water down there.

Another tribute might be that Gow offering a fresh jersey to the club and to cop a whack on the chops from Mundine. Burning the jersey, that was outrageous.

I wonder exactly what Johnny said. I’ve been trying to find a response.

I think @Willow once said Robert Stone was an Immortal in the good bloke area. Gold plate player.

His funeral was packed full of superstars.

Johnny said

“ only Clive Churchill’s was bigger than Stoneys.”

Source:

If you look at the attendees featured, it’s a whos who.

He was just a youngster too when he passed away…In his prime.

Johnny’s attendance at numerous funerals, sad events …was very thoughtful because he was an absolute giant of the game.

When the greatest living league player attends, a blue blood immortal, a gentlemen too, you simply can’t get greater respect.

Lance was another tragic loss.

Last edited:
Spoke to Brother in law, he reckons he’s saw him play in Newcastle back in the day:

“ One of the best” and he added when he was coaching, he tried get liven up the forwards in terms of offloading and playing less traditionally etc.

He reckoned he had that natural physical health happening and well into his 30s he was still all over youngsters. A vintage Cam Smith I suppose.

Apparently at his peak, he could get smashed the night before, but still turn up early to training, clear as day, was the best trainer, always out in front in the runs and then last to go home. Some kind of unique natural ability to rehydrate quickly.

Then of course, he didn’t waste his natural talent, he had the intellect to harness it too!

Im watching King Wally these days and I’m seeing him turn into a genuine statesman. I like what I see.

His charitable deeds are next level, visits the dying and their families. No fanfare etc.

The current Wally Lewis is nothing like the petulant psychopathic lout of the old days!!

He is an also an immortal in my book….probably for services to Cane toads. Keep the cheeky bludgers happy!!

Last edited:
Yeah my own small tribute was to keep him as my lu signature until the end of this day.

Only after midnight tonight, will I creep onto the laptop and change it.

As he got older, he became more statesmanlike and big time.

Yet his career as a footballer was astonishing, even by today’s standard and against all players who have followed him.

I said it earlier, but his illness was understood by all and no lustre lost.

Thanks Johnny, career sure but especially for the wisdom late in life. I hope I get some of it.

It was his humility that cut me up in a world of self aggrandising promotional rubbish day in, day out.

The world would be a lot better if more people adopted some of his values.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Yeah my own small tribute was to keep him as my lu signature until the end of this day.

Only after midnight tonight, will I creep onto the laptop and change it.

As he got older, he became more statesmanlike and big time.

Yet his career as a footballer was astonishing, even by today’s standard and against all players who have followed him.

I said it earlier, but his illness was understood by all and no lustre lost.

Thanks Johnny, career sure but especially for the wisdom late in life. I hope I get some of it.

It was his humility that cut me up in a world of self aggrandising promotional rubbish day in, day out.

The world would be a lot better if more people adopted some of his values.
Nicely put TSP.

Nicely put TSP.

Thanks.

He was good value.

I thought it might be better to keep his name up for awhile longer.

He had many gifts.

No offence to Joey, but spending a fair amount of his career “off his face” on chemicals is not of immortal material for so many reasons.

Look he came clean about it which is good, but it’s sends a bad message about frolicking during a career.

It’s that all old “ ok to make an exception for talent stuff”, everyone is sick off. The entitlement. While he’s spinning around off into the never, he was letting down and abusing people by having to put up with stupid antics, training and playing under the influence, abusing the game, selfish shite.

Entitled dickhead.

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade
Thanks.

He was good value.

I thought it might be better to keep his name up for awhile longer.

He had many gifts.

No offence to Joey, but spending a fair amount of his career “off his face” on chemicals is not of immortal material for so many reasons.

Look he came clean about it which is good, but it’s sends a bad message about frolicking during a career.

It’s that all old “ ok to make an exception for talent stuff”, everyone is sick off. The entitlement. While he’s spinning around off into the never, he was letting down and abusing people by having to put up with stupid antics, training and playing under the influence, abusing the game, selfish shite.

Entitled dickhead.
Very very unfair , particularly in comparison with Raper , who was no angel. It has been said many times on here but AGAIN if the players of the 60's were under scrutiny like the players of the modern era it certainly show that in some cases their behaviour was worse. Mike Gibson has been quoted as saying that the 1967 kangaroo tour had a lot of unsavoury player incidents off the field but in those days journos like him, Clarkson, Christiansen & Mordy ignored this as news and only reported on games.

Very very unfair , particularly in comparison with Raper , who was no angel. It has been said many times on here but AGAIN if the players of the 60's were under scrutiny like the players of the modern era it certainly show that in some cases their behaviour was worse. Mike Gibson has been quoted as saying that the 1967 kangaroo tour had a lot of unsavoury player incidents off the field but in those days journos like him, Clarkson, Christiansen & Mordy ignored this as news and only reported on games.

I acknowledge your point of view but respectfully disagree.

There is no compelling comparison, only grisly contrast.

Gareth67

First Grade
Spoke to Brother in law, he reckons he’s saw him play in Newcastle back in the day:

“ One of the best” and he added when he was coaching, he tried get liven up the forwards in terms of offloading and playing less traditionally etc.

He reckoned he had that natural physical health happening and well into his 30s he was still all over youngsters. A vintage Cam Smith I suppose.

Apparently at his peak, he could get smashed the night before, but still turn up early to training, clear as day, was the best trainer, always out in front in the runs and then last to go home. Some kind of unique natural ability to rehydrate quickly.

Then of course, he didn’t waste his natural talent, he had the intellect to harness it too!

Im watching King Wally these days and I’m seeing him turn into a genuine statesman. I like what I see.

His charitable deeds are next level, visits the dying and their families. No fanfare etc.

The current Wally Lewis is nothing like the petulant psychopathic lout of the old days!!

He is an also an immortal in my book….probably for services to Cane toads. Keep the cheeky bludgers happy!!
Go gargle your mouth out with cod-liver oil !

I know you mean well my friend , but never - never - ever compare the great Johnny Raper to C. Ref. Smith .

They were worlds apart as far as sportsmanship was concerned and in other aspects of their games , they were totally different entities Silverdale .

May the man rest in footy heaven .

Last edited:
Go gargle your mouth out with cod-liver oil !

I know you mean well my friend , but never - never - ever compare the great Johnny Raper to C. Ref. Smith .

As they were worlds apart as far as sportsmanship was concerned and in other aspects of their games , they were totally different entities Silverdale .

May the man rest in footy heaven .

Just length of career basis not sportsmanship etc.

Anyone gagging at home from my gross violation, I apologise.

Dragons in for a positive year. I was on track for my dragons in top 8 last year until bbq gate. I recall being laughed off the forum at the start of 2021, vengeance will be mine!

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
Just length of career basis not sportsmanship etc.

Anyone gagging at home from my gross violation, I apologise.

Dragons in for a positive year. I was on track for my dragons in top 8 last year until bbq gate. I recall being laughed off the forum at the start of 2021, vengeance will be mine!

No need for apologies Silverdale , more so for an old country bumpkin like me . Your posts are among the most informative on our distinguished forum buddy and perhaps I should had read your initial thoughts more closely to fully understand what you meant .

Anyhow our mob now have one of your club’s favorite sons in Arron Woods , word is that Griffo is going to turn him into another Kevin ‘ Kandos ‘ Ryan !

Willow

Assistant Moderator
No need for apologies Silverdale , more so for an old country bumpkin like me . Your posts are among the most informative on our distinguished forum buddy and perhaps I should had read your initial thoughts more closely to fully understand what you meant .

Anyhow our mob now have one of your club’s favorite sons in Arron Woods , word is that Griffo is going to turn him into another Kevin ‘ Kandos ‘ Ryan !
You mean he's going to let Canterbury know our game plans?

All good.

I remember coming across my first fester you posted.

I just about dropped the phone and laughed myself off the lounge!

It was perfect!

Latest posts