What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Immortals Question

Avenger

Immortal
Kenny, Sterling and Price deserve to be there. Did everything in the game and were considered the best in their respective positions if not of all time.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I read something the other day that Kenny barely picked up any individual awards in his career. Price and Sterling did though.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Kenny, Sterling and Price deserve to be there. Did everything in the game and were considered the best in their respective positions if not of all time.
It must be so hard for Sterling calling for Lockyer and Smith or others to be considered but he himself wasn't considered.

Gronk

Staff member

Joke that Andrew Johns got the nod ahead of Sterlo, Kenny or Price. I remember Joey playing a lot of rep hooker because he was not good enough to oust the 7 at the time. In the 2000 World Cup he played hooker behind Kimmorley (LOL).

In 2000 Kimmorley even had it over him in SOO.

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/matches/Custom/NDctLS0tLS0tLTI3Ni0tLS0teS0tLS0tLS0t

upload_2020-4-29_10-30-54.png

TheParraboy

Staff member
Mal being an immortal is the biggest joke of all, the game that gave him nothing is still giving the fat f**k plenty.

And the great Ray Price in his last game in the 86 GF , in his speech said the game owes him nothing. How he isn’t an immortal is the baffling thing over Mal

Joke that Andrew Johns got the nod ahead of Sterlo, Kenny or Price. I remember Joey playing a lot of rep hooker because he was not good enough to oust the 7 at the time. In the 2000 World Cup he played hooker behind Kimmorley (LOL).

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/matches/Custom/NDctLS0tLS0tLTI3Ni0tLS0teS0tLS0tLS0t

View attachment 37955

I think with Origin he was coming back after 10 weeks off being injured, so went In from the bench

If I had to pick one in my side would be Johns, just.

Would pick either Sterlo or Johns over Thurston. Both were far better defenders , and in attack had far better vision. As well as hardly any poor games from either, where Thurston had a ton of em. Bet Thurston is an immortal before we know it

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Lewis deserved to be picked as did Johns. Mal was questionable. I'd have Price ahead of Kenny and Kenny ahead of Sterling.

If they pick Lockyer I will drive back up to Brisbane and lay a cable in the river.

They'll probably pick Smith next which means I'll have to lay a cable in the Yarra.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

View attachment 37955
I remember him wearing 9 and defending in the middle while playing halfback, with Toovey playing at dummy half in jersey 7.

Johns is the best halfback I've ever seen.

Gronk

Staff member
I remember him wearing 9 and defending in the middle while playing halfback, with Toovey playing at dummy half in jersey 7.

Johns is the best halfback I've ever seen.

Johns is a merkin because we mounted the game ball for him one night at the stadium because he broke the all time points record but sooked away because they lost. We were left holding this perspex box with the match ball, looking like dills.

strider

Post Whore
Johns is a merkin because we mounted the game ball for him one night at the stadium because he broke the all time points record but sooked away because they lost. We were left holding this perspex box with the match ball, looking like dills.
Yeah but the parra fans absolutely unloaded on him that night, so i kinda dont blame him

Gronk

Staff member
Yeah but the parra fans absolutely unloaded on him that night, so i kinda dont blame him

Yes we did.
cheers.gif

Eelementary

Post Whore
Mal being an immortal is the biggest joke of all, the game that gave him nothing is still giving the fat f**k plenty.

For me, Wally Lewis being named as an Immortal ahead of Price, Kenny, or Sterling, is an even bigger joke.

Brett Kenny was so good, he could play in the centres, and dominate.

Ray Price was such a good leader, that he is regularly regarded as being the greatest lock forward of all time.

Peter Sterling is widely regarded as one of the smartest, toughest, and natural halfbacks of all time.

But, no - let's give it to a guy who won sweet f**k all, barring playing well in a few Origin matches.

Ffs , Origin means nothing - Adam Mogg played for Queensland, ffs!

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
For me, Wally Lewis being named as an Immortal ahead of Price, Kenny, or Sterling, is an even bigger joke.

Brett Kenny was so good, he could play in the centres, and dominate.

Ray Price was such a good leader, that he is regularly regarded as being the greatest lock forward of all time.

Peter Sterling is widely regarded as one of the smartest, toughest, and natural halfbacks of all time.

But, no - let's give it to a guy who won sweet f**k all, barring playing well in a few Origin matches.

Ffs , Origin means nothing - Adam Mogg played for Queensland, ffs!

Origin is the highest level of rugby league you can play and he dominated NSW during his time. He won 8 man of the match awards. No other player to this day has single handedly dominated that arena in the way he did. Do you not remember the way he exposed us like portuguese chicken every year? I hated the merkin, but respected what he could do on a football field.

He also captained Australia 24 times and won multiple player of the series awards.

He was Dally M representative player of the year in 1982, 1984 and 1988.

He won the first Golden Boot award in 1984.

In his first year in the NRL he was the Dally M five-eighth of the year.

He won the Harry Sunderland Medal in 1988

Prior to joining the NRL with the Broncos, he won 2 premierships with the Wynnum Manly Seagulls 1984-1986 with a team that would have beaten most of the teams in the NSWRL at the time.

And most importantly he gave Manly's big money offer the arse. If he didn't they may well have one more than one premiership in the late 80s.

A born winner and the most effective player of the 80s.

I love Kenny, Sterling and Price but like most people, I rate Wally higher.

Suitman

Post Whore
He’s the most complete footballer I have seen, that could of been Hayne but sadly he didn’t have the drive to be one of the all time greats.

Hayne and Kenny are the most naturally gifted Eels players I have ever seen.
The difference is the eras both grew up in. Kenny had to work hard in a semi-professional era.
Hayne on the other hand, played during the new era of huge wages and entitlement. He also had an ego, while in the 80's, players just went to work, went to training and played on the weekends and got on with the job.
Kenny was silky smooth and sublime. Hayne was explosive, yet both had similar attacking skills and vision. Hayne also had a kicking game which Kenny did not. Defensively, they were both excellent.
It's a shame that Hayne wasted the back end of his career. Kenny was still a diamond when he retired.

The mouth waters at the thought of a player of Hayne's ability being our fullback during the 80's in a backline of Sterling, Kenny, Cronin, Ella, Grothe Snr, Hunt/Liddiard, and Hayne at the back.

Last edited:

Latest posts