What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Fitzy We Trust

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
I liked Morris because he tried to establish a standard but the reports were he couldn't actually hold it. Fitzy as a fresh face who is bullish in what he believes deserves the keys. Our side was a borderline 8 team the last few years through guts. I would like to see us push to be a top 4 - 6 team in year one of Fitz.
Agree with all this….think we needed the Bomber years while our cap was f**ked to get us to the point where someone like Fitz would take us on once the juniors were bought through. Remember Fitz knocked back a couple of offers before he took us on. Bit like we needed the Beaker years to get us through to the Dino years. Exciting times ahead for Sharks fans on the field and then you tthrow in the new leagues club in ‘23 as well.

Quicksilver

Bench
I liked Morris because he tried to establish a standard but the reports were he couldn't actually hold it. Fitzy as a fresh face who is bullish in what he believes deserves the keys. Our side was a borderline 8 team the last few years through guts. I would like to see us push to be a top 4 - 6 team in year one of Fitz.
Agree with all this….think we needed the Bomber years while our cap was f**ked to get us to the point where someone like Fitz would take us on once the juniors were bought through. Remember Fitz knocked back a couple of offers before he took us on. Bit like we needed the Beaker years to get us through to the Dino years. Exciting times ahead for Sharks fans on the field and then you tthrow in the new leagues club in ‘23 as well.

He took on us because we were in the right place to take the next step- our juniors were being developed while $100 kajilion dollars sat on the sideline. Now he has the juniors + cap space. Good times.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Bomber was white anted by one leg.

This has nothing to do with his replacement, as far as that goes I like Fitzgibbon.

Not @Frenzy. Fuffly, but few are.

@Special K wants to hug him and kiss him and call him George. He loves a good hug.

:)

Bomber was white anted by one leg.

This has nothing to do with his replacement, as far as that goes I like Fitzgibbon.

Not @Frenzy. Fuffly, but few are.

@Special K wants to hug him and kiss him and call him George. He loves a good hug.

:)
Mate, cards on the table.
I thought Morris was given the post about 3 years too early than what his experience allowed.
The management at the time made the decision, and I was in full support because that's what a supporter does.
I liked what I saw attack wise in what he brought in, but the deficiencies in defence nearly straight away were a little alarming.
I gave him the benefit of the doubt as he was new and raw, and hoped he would figure it out.
The second year there was no improvement, in fact if anything the defence looked even worse.
I started to listen to what he said in the pressers more closely, and i heard a lot of talk of stats, way too much talk of stats in fact. I saw bugger all in personal passion, personality, and drive. Every good coach has that, it is what makes them nutcases so to speak.
I think Bomber is a great talent in certain aspects of the game, just not a head coaching position...... yet.
If he gets another shot I will actually support him and hope he has learnt a great deal about what it all entails.

You've nailed it! This could be big! I guess the first question is how long does the new coach have to establish the winning culture , before the "accepting mediocrity " title is thrown at him and his supporters ? Oh and what is the criteria for a winning culture ? Victory over top eight teams ? Top eight finish ? Top four finish ? Gf in first year ? GF win ? something else ?
By the 3rd year I would like us to be serious contenders. At the very least playing the Prelim and looking like we will be in that position for years to come, and with premierships.

fizman

Bench
Year 1 - Premiers - World Club Challenge
Year 2 - Undefeated Premiers - World Club Challenge
Year 3 - 17 Local Juniors - Undefeated Premiers - World Club Challenge

Quicksilver

Bench
Year 1 - Premiers - World Club Challenge
Year 2 - Undefeated Premiers - World Club Challenge
Year 3 - 17 Local Juniors - Undefeated Premiers - World Club Challenge

We need that World Club Challenge in our collection. Our last non-attempt really irritated me. Our only chance in 50 years and we took the piss.

snout

First Grade
Bomber pops his head up in a Fitzy thread.
Can't keep a good man down. Chad will get a mention soon.
Theres one there.

Gibbo. The wok. Bellamy. Success.
What did they all have in common - they revolutionised defence structure.
They knew this is what won comps.
In a season of blowouts this year - when it came to the pointy end of the season most teams put the touch footy away and got down to what it takes to win a big game.
The low scores showed that.

I agree with most - l liked bomber. A good bloke. Very footy smart. And as BBB said he was probably given the job years too early.
But he lost me with our defence.
The lazy weak-arsed half-hearted pile of shit we trotted out each game wore me down.
Week after week the frustration increased.
I think it got worse under hannay.

I'm expecting our blokes are in for an education this summer the like they have not seen. Warm your shoulders up boys

Tiger Shark

Bench
Bomber pops his head up in a Fitzy thread.
Can't keep a good man down. Chad will get a mention soon.
Theres one there.

Gibbo. The wok. Bellamy. Success.
What did they all have in common - they revolutionised defence structure.
They knew this is what won comps.
In a season of blowouts this year - when it came to the pointy end of the season most teams put the touch footy away and got down to what it takes to win a big game.
The low scores showed that.

I agree with most - l liked bomber. A good bloke. Very footy smart. And as BBB said he was probably given the job years too early.
But he lost me with our defence.
The lazy weak-arsed half-hearted pile of shit we trotted out each game wore me down.
Week after week the frustration increased.
I think it got worse under hannay.

I'm expecting our blokes are in for an education this summer the like they have not seen. Warm your shoulders up boys

Yeah. It'll be akin the defence school Panthers went through in 2019 off season and 2020 was the year there defence was outstanding. From then on it's about maintaining it.

I'd imagine we'll be getting in some wrestling coach to help with technique.

bluefox68

Staff member
Yeah. It'll be akin the defence school Panthers went through in 2019 off season and 2020 was the year there defence was outstanding. From then on it's about maintaining it.

I'd imagine we'll be getting in some wrestling coach to help with technique.
Love the fact that Fitzy gets in and wrestles with the players…

Special K

Coach
We need that World Club Challenge in our collection. Our last non-attempt really irritated me. Our only chance in 50 years and we took the piss.
I get that but one of our leaders and key players retired (Ennis) and arguably our best in 2016 got the boot. Killed any chance we had to go on a run. I still don't know why we used McIlwrick in 2016 for those 2 games when we knew Brailey would be taking on the role in 2017... Flanno ball...

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Mate, cards on the table.

and of course full respect
I thought Morris was given the post about 3 years too early than what his experience allowed.
The management at the time made the decision, and I was in full support because that's what a supporter does.
I liked what I saw attack wise in what he brought in, but the deficiencies in defence nearly straight away were a little alarming.
I gave him the benefit of the doubt as he was new and raw, and hoped he would figure it out.
The second year there was no improvement, in fact if anything the defence looked even worse.
I started to listen to what he said in the pressers more closely, and i heard a lot of talk of stats, way too much talk of stats in fact. I saw bugger all in personal passion, personality, and drive. Every good coach has that, it is what makes them nutcases so to speak.
I think Bomber is a great talent in certain aspects of the game, just not a head coaching position...... yet.
If he gets another shot I will actually support him and hope he has learnt a great deal about what it all entails.
Here is my beef, This man a 300 gamer who played under many great coaches, was given a shyte sandwich, had no make up of the team, haad no breathing room, was given a bunch of high paid duds, who when pushed "you should retire", went full white ant.

This is a man who the young blokes love, only one, Will went better, he finally had got the keys and despite what any of us thinks, we do not know nor will ever know what he would have done, sign Woods who knows, sign Nicho, we will never know, never had a chance to make his own roster. You all think you know what he would he but you do not.

Fred's dog and the highest paid duds, ensured we will never know.

At least some of the duds Flanno sighed are gone.

One Leg on $850k remains, maybe he will play this year, Fitz is better yeah white ant.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I have no issue with Fitz the rookie replacement.

Not Bellamy though.

Would always Dean Pay as assistant defence coach, always.

I have no issue with Fitz the rookie replacement.

Not Bellamy though.

Would always Dean Pay as assistant defence coach, always.
You wouldn't have the guy Fitz got, Steve Price? The same Steve Price who was in this position when we won our one and only Premiership?
Interesting.

Latest posts