What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Fitzy We Trust

Weaponhead

Coach
So how do you rate thus guys performance this year
He is learning on the job.

Took too long to address the left edge issues. Showed too much faith in players who were letting him down.

He seems like a players coach who doesn't criticise players in public. He has a pecking order and seems to stick with it. When it's working it gives stability when it's not it seems like a lack of proactivity.

He has backed this squad and his ability to develop them. They aren't mentally strong enough to deliver under pressure. They need a freshen up but no one is coming. Dykes might offer something but it's hard to get too excited over a rookie coming off an ACL with no defined position.

BWNB

First Grade
Think we're in for a run similar to this year.
Need a complete rebuild - what's needed is some pain to move past week 1 finals losses

Inferno

Coach
I don't think we need a rebuild, this team was in the top 4 for much of the year and finished with a home final.

There are lessons to be learnt this year which can be improved on next year. They are Nicho and Tricky are the halves pairing, Cam needs to be the 13 and Sifa's time in the centres are done.

With a full offseason working on those three things the team can improve but increasing mental fortitude needs to be a major focus as well.

I'd give him a 7/10 which is what the sharks were this year on average.

Tiger Shark

Bench
I don't think we need a rebuild, this team was in the top 4 for much of the year and finished with a home final.

There are lessons to be learnt this year which can be improved on next year. They are Nicho and Tricky are the halves pairing, Cam needs to be the 13 and Sifa's time in the centres are done.

With a full offseason working on those three things the team can improve but increasing mental fortitude needs to be a major focus as well.

I'd give him a 7/10 which is what the sharks were this year on average.
I want a better replacement for Talakai then Iro and Tracey though. Don’t feel they are big improvements

Go Nulla

Bench
Goodbye Moylan. Thank you Wade. Need a mongrel front rower. A hooker … BB is not the answer. Toby not fussed. And train their arses off over summer focussed on D and ball control.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
No defensive improvement.

No flexibility, very stubborn, no players improved, most went backwards.

As unimpressed as I am with the stadium upgrade, will that be finished by 2030?

I blame Fred's dog.

PJ

First Grade
Simple fact is our squad is nowhere near the quality of Panthers, Broncs, Melbourne, South's and probably below Roosters as well. Equal quality to Cows and probably Warriors

So we finished about where I thought we would.

I'm not particularly blaming the ref but there were some big 50 50s in the second half that went against us and I think they all should have gone our way. There was a kick through in their 20 that was called as still the 5th and Toby got caught with it, but the Rorters player played at the ball, there were 2 times that a rorter played the ball at a near 45 angle (Fifita would have absolutely been pinged for both of those) and the big one is I think when Toby lost the ball in a 3 man tackle there was a stripping action and that lead to a try.

But then we were dumb going right instead of left when we were carving at the left and the field goal setups were terrible.

Those teams I mentioned as better squads, there is no way we are prising out the players that make them better than us.

Considering I don't think Fitzy had a full pack near all year, and constant in outs for the forwards, I think he gets a high pass for the year.

Next year he needs to learn to pick the best squad and change the team. Some fresh blood is needed as well. In particular a centre, winger ( I am so sick of watching Ronaldo turn and chase from 30m infield in our 20) and an intimidating forward.

Weaponhead

Coach
Sharks have zero current origin players. Hynes 11 minutes then dropped. Talakai had a bench spot last year then dropped.

Big players win big games and the Sharks don't have the big players. They want Hynes to be the man but he isn't there yet. Neither Kennedy nor Brailey are genuine leaders. Trindall has just locked down a starting spot.

Some big questions for the coach. That game was there for the taking but no one grabbed the game and put Easts away. It reinforces all the weaknesses identified in the squad. Lacking mental toughness, belief and grit. Lack of a forward enforcer, poor concentration etc.

Need some key signings to bring some freshness to the squad and a change in mindset to improve.

DJDL

Bench

Not sure I agree with that.
It’s been much better since the Penrith match.

Still plenty to do, but it’s been better than the shit show it was mid season.

I dare say Fitzy had a word to them and asked what kind of team they want to be.
Something along the lines of “we’ve been doing it your way, playing with an attack first mentality, and look where it’s gotten us. Time to start doing it my way”

I think the off season will see a much bigger focus on that, and revamping the attack based of getting the most out of Nicho and Tricky, without relying on the slingshot.

Weaponhead

Coach
At the end of last season, my view was that this team needed relentlessness and discipline to improve. Neither of these areas developed enough this season. High error rate and missed tackles. They are still a bit immature. Progress is rarely linear.

DJDL

Bench
I just watched the presser.
Fitzy made a comment along the lines of they are starting to grow up as a footy team and realise what it takes to win the big moments.

Let's hope that's remembered on the first day of pre-season and gets absolutely drilled into them for its entirety.

I really don't think they're that far off. There's just a couple of tweaks here and there to be made, along with a change in attitude and decision making under pressure/fatigue.

R-15-3

Bench
I don’t think we are that far off either but I’m just not sure if it’s that far of the top 4 or bottom 4

Last edited:

Tiger Shark

Bench

No flexibility, very stubborn, no players improved, most went backwards.

As unimpressed as I am with the stadium upgrade, will that be finished by 2030?

I blame Fred's dog.
No players improved ? That’s completely inaccurate

Tiger Shark

Bench
I just watched the presser.
Fitzy made a comment along the lines of they are starting to grow up as a footy team and realise what it takes to win the big moments.

Let's hope that's remembered on the first day of pre-season and gets absolutely drilled into them for its entirety.

I really don't think they're that far off. There's just a couple of tweaks here and there to be made, along with a change in attitude and decision making under pressure/fatigue.
Yeah he mentioned that hard edge and growing up a bit- which is a pretty good summary of one of our biggest issues.
We had no resilience or hard edge the top teams have. With that we win a lot more games.