What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Memoriam

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Robin Williams dies at 63 of apparent suicide
By LAUREN RAAB, RYAN PARKER , NICKY LOOMIS contact the reporters Robin WilliamsSuicideMatt DamonSean Maguire

Robin Williams dies at 63 of an apparent suicide, the Marin County Sheriff's Department says
Oscar-winning actor and comic Robin Williams died Monday at 63 of an apparent suicide, the Marin County Sheriff's Department confirmed.

Around 11:55 a.m. Monday, sheriff's officials said, a 911 call came in about a man unresponsive in his home in Tiburon. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Dubbed “the funniest man alive” by Entertainment Weekly in 1997, Williams brought audiences hours of laughter, putting his imaginative spin on characters in film and television. He was lauded for his serious roles as well, winning a best supporting actor Oscar for his performance as Sean Maguire, the therapist who counsels Matt Damon’s math genius in “Good Will Hunting”(1997), and receiving nominations for “The Fisher King” (1991), “Dead Poets Society” (1989) and “Good Morning, Vietnam” (1987).

Born in Chicago in 1951, Williams became one of only two students accepted into John Houseman’s prestigious acting program at Julliard, the other being Christopher Reeve, who became a lifelong friend.

Williams gained fame as Mork, the bizarre, suspenders-sporting alien on the sitcom “Mork & Mindy,” a spinoff from “Happy Days.” Williams departed from the script so often that producers intentionally left blank moments on page for Williams to have space to indulge his ad-libbing genius.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-robin-williams-dies-20140811-story.html

Wizardman

First Grade
Lets hope this does not bring out attention seeking asswipes making stupid comments. Big loss....I feel like I need to see some of his movies now...have not seen classics like "Good Morning Vietnam".

nöyd

Staff member
wow, such a big loss, I really feel like I need to watch some of his movies now. Haven't seen classics like Dead Poets Society...

Jono Russell

Bench
It's hard to put words to what I want to say about Robin Williams.

Like many his movies have made me Laugh and cry since a young child. He is one of those actors that can play many diverse roles but comedy was his true calling and he made people laugh. A truly gifted man.

Such a huge loss to this world.

Frederick

Staff member
Harold ramis, rik mayall and robin williams all dead in the same year.

2014: the year the laughter stopped :(

Bulldog Force

Referee
Tragic news. He's probably the one actor that many thought wouldn't have had his life end like this. So sad :(

I'll always remember his awesome movies such as Jack and Jamunji, and Dead Poets Society.

RIP Robin :(

Chook

First Grade
Tragic loss. If there is one thing this world needs at the moment is more humour, not less. RIP.

Chook.

Evil_Mush

Juniors
Damn, that is really sad, particularly due to circumstances.

Was just talking to mates the other day that we need to watch Baron Munchausen again, Robin as the disembodied head is one of my favourite nostalgiac Robin Williams moments from my childhood.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Robin Williams, an Academy Award-winning actor and comedian who imbued his performances with wild inventiveness and a kind of manic energy, died on Monday at his home in Marin County, Calif. He was 63.

The county sheriff’s office said in a statement that it “suspects the death to be a suicide due to asphyxia.” A further investigation was under way.

The statement said that the office received a 9-1-1 call at 11:55 a.m. saying that a man had been found “unconscious and not breathing inside his residence.” Emergency personnel sent to the scene identified him as Mr. Williams and pronounced him dead at 12:02 p.m.

Mr. William’s publicist, Mara Buxbaum, said in a statement that Mr. Williams “has been battling severe depression.”

His wife, Susan Schneider, said in a statement, “This morning, I lost my husband and my best friend, while the world lost one of its most beloved artists and beautiful human beings.” She added: “As he is remembered, it is our hope the focus will not be on Robin’s death, but on the countless moments of joy and laughter he gave to millions.”

Robin Williams performs an excerpt from Rajiv Joseph’s Broadway play, “Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo.” Video Credit By Erik Piepenburg and Mekado Murphy on Publish Date March 31, 2011.
Mr. Williams, who was raised in the Detroit suburb of Bloomfield Hills, Mich., and in Marin County, attended the Juilliard School in New York before breaking through as a hyperverbal comedian and a star of the 1978 ABC sitcom “Mork & Mindy,” playing a giddy alien unaccustomed to life on this planet.

He went on to earn Academy Award nominations for his roles in films like “Good Morning, Vietnam,” in which he played a loquacious radio D.J.; “Dead Poets Society,” playing a mentor to students in need of inspiration; and “The Fisher King,” as a homeless man whose life has been struck by tragedy. He won an Oscar in 1998 for “Good Will Hunting,” playing a therapist who works with a troubled prodigy played by Matt Damon.

I have not grieved this much for the loss of an artist since John Lennon died. When i lived in San Francisco in the 80's, I saw him doing...

Beginning with roles in the 1977 sex farce “Can I Do It ‘Till I Need Glasses” and “The Richard Pryor Show,” a variety series hosted by one of his comedy mentors, Mr. Williams rapidly ascended the entertainment industry’s ladder.

Hired to play an eccentric alien in an episode of “Happy Days,” Mr. Williams caught the attention of the show’s creator, Garry Marshall, who cast him to reprise his career-making role of Mork from Ork in “Mork & Mindy.” Mr. Williams soon graduated into movie roles that include the title characters in “Popeye,” Robert Altman’s 1980 live-action musical about that spinach-chomping cartoon sailor; and “The World According to Garp,” the director George Roy Hill’s 1982 adaptation of the John Irving novel.

He also continued to appear in raucous standup comedy specials like “Robin Williams: An Evening at the Met,” which showcased his garrulous performance style and his indefatigable ability to free-associate without the apparent benefit of prepared material. Alongside his friends and fellow actors Billy Crystal and Whoopi Goldberg, Mr. Williams appeared in an annual series of telethons for Comic Relief, a charity organization that helps homeless people and others in need.

Mr. Williams’s acting career reached a new height in 1987 with his performance in Barry Levinson’s film “Good Morning, Vietnam,” in which he played a nonconformist Armed Forces Radio host working in Saigon in the 1960s. It earned Mr. Williams his first Oscar nomination. He earned another two years later for “Dead Poets Society,” directed by Peter Weir and released in 1989, in which he played an unconventional English teacher at a 1950s boarding school who inspires his students to tear up their textbooks and seize the day. (Or, as Mr. Williams’s character famously put it in the original Latin, “Carpe diem.”)

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/12/movies/robin-williams-oscar-winning-comedian-dies-at-63.html?_r=0

God-King Dean

Immortal
I had a dream about him this morning as well. Weird.

RIP Robin. Depression is hell of a thing. You look at these people look so happy on the surface, & the next moment they are gone.

Regularly watch his stand up. One of the few celebrity deaths that actually make me sad. Ramis & Williams gone in the same year. :(