What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

in the Leader tomorrow

dragon-83

Juniors
Michael Carayannis

Tomorrow's #theleader which player manager says his client is open to a #redv offer? plus how much is Moltzen's contract?

Bazzi

First Grade
He denied it's either Carney or Dugan, apparently not a player of that calibre either.

dragon-83

Juniors
WESTS Tigers’ outside back Mitch Brown could end the Tim Moltzen saga after his manager revealed to the Leader his client was willing to speak to the Dragons about a switch.
The move came after would-be Dragons’ recruit Moltzen openly declared he wanted to remain at Wests, despite agreeing to join St George Illawarra from next season.
The Leader understands the Dragons paid about $280,000 a season for Moltzen — significantly more than his current Tigers contract — ensuring they have money to spend for next season.
‘‘If [the Dragons] were to ring me we’d look at it,’’ Brown’s manager Gavin Orr said. ‘‘It would have to be a better deal than the one is he on.’’
Brown has another season on his Wests Tigers contract but could become surplus to their needs if Moltzen stays at the club.
Unable to secure a consistent position in the Tigers line-up, Brown was considered as a likely candidate to fill Moltzen’s fullback position next season.
But with Moltzen likely to remain in the No.1 jersey and Brown’s preferred centre position secured by Chris Lawrence and Blake Ayshford, the Gymea Gorillas junior could opt to shift to the Dragons.
‘‘We’re not rushing into anything,’’ Orr said. ‘‘But if someone was to knock on our door we’d consider it.’’
‘‘[Brown] has become the jack of all trades but over the next couple of years he wants to try and cement a right centre spot.’’
Brown, 23, joined the Tigers last year, having made his first-grade debut for Cronulla in 2006.
Discussions between the Dragons and Tigers regarding Moltzen were continuing this week.
http://www.theleader.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-league/brown-may-be-in-for-moltzen/2326291.aspx

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The Leader understands the Dragons paid about $280,000 a season for Moltzen — significantly more than his current Tigers contract — ensuring they have money to spend for next season.

So Timmy is staying at WT for significantly less money? I find that hard to believe.

One of three things are at play here:
1. The 280K figure is wrong,
2. WT are breaching the salary cap or,
3. Bawling Timmy is putting his mateships ahead of a significant payrise.

saintzrule

Juniors
Pretty simple Willow. Pussies reluctantly [lol] release Lui and give Tim a [surprise] contract upgrade:D

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Presumably they can backend it as well.

If the 280K figure is correct, and WT have had to match it or better it, then they have tied up a fair whack of their cap for a player they didn't want just a few months earlier.

It's their problem now.

My only advice to Timmy is to get it in writing... and be sure to count your fingers and thumbs after shaking on the deal.

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
Mitch Brown, according to zero tackle... Hes not worth 280K...what a joke...Make Moltzen pay compensation if he doesn't come.

RedVDave

First Grade
I like Brown he is a very honest player and really has a go definetley the opposite of Moltzen when it comes to heart! I believe he can play Fullback, Wing and Centre as well, I truly doubt we would be playing him all $280 000 maybe $190 000 or possibly a little less.

Last edited:

Guvner

First Grade
Mitch Brown, LMFAO. He would be 3rd string accross our backline and cant play in the halves. Try again Humphrey.

gypsy

Bench
Mitch Brown, LMFAO. He would be 3rd string accross our backline and cant play in the halves. Try again Humphrey.

Disagree, I think he's a good option. Lets face it, we don't have a right centre and it's the biggest weakness in our side for 2012. I know there are a lot of Hornby bashers but right centre is huge. If Brown is relatively cheap, and makes a go of the 3, it could be a great pickup.

gypsy

Bench

Disagree, I think he's a good option. Lets face it, we don't have a right centre and it's the biggest weakness in our side for 2012. I know there are a lot of Hornby bashers (who I don't agree with either), but right centre is huge. If Brown is relatively cheap, and makes a go of the 3, it could be a great pickup.
Kyle wants the number 1, and Chase would be better used off the bench, in the backrow/utility role.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Disagree, I think he's a good option. Lets face it, we don't have a right centre and it's the biggest weakness in our side for 2012. I know there are a lot of Hornby bashers but right centre is huge. If Brown is relatively cheap, and makes a go of the 3, it could be a great pickup.

Vidot, Kyle and Chase... Not enough centers for you? IF Mitch Brown did come over, it'd be as a fullback and Bronx Goodwin would likely be ahead of him in that regard. The fact they want an upgrade on his current contract is laughable to be honest.

gypsy

Bench
Vidot, Kyle and Chase... Not enough centers for you? IF Mitch Brown did come over, it'd be as a fullback and Bronx Goodwin would likely be ahead of him in that regard. The fact they want an upgrade on his current contract is laughable to be honest.

These people going on about Vidot playing in the centres, have you ever seen the guy play?
Vidot is a winger, and a pretty average one at that. He is no where near robust enough for centre, his defence is rubbish. The fact is, he couldn't get a start at the Faiders and he is most famous for being punched in the head by Ben Rogers and trying to karate kick him back. Will see very limited first grade, and I say again, is not a centre.

Kyle is a possibility, but will play fullback. His ball playing is twice that of Goodwin's.
He would be wasted in the centres. He needs to be either fullback or in the halves. Fullback is like another half now, and this will suit Kyle big time.

Chase is a backrower waiting to develop. His future is in the second row, no doubt at all about that. Not the fastest, and would be suited to the interchange bench.

I agree we have a few options out wide, lots of wingers floating around, but we need a centre, and if this bloke is cheap, we should try him.

If you need more convincing, watch our first 20 games last season, and see how our right side attack was rubbish.
If you think it will improve by losing Gaz and replacing him with a second string winger from a weak club, then I must be watching another sport.

Last edited:

Godz Illa

Coach
These people going on about Vidot playing in the centres, have you ever seen the guy play?
Yes. He played centres for Canberra NYC throughout 2008, including the grand final - which they won. Just hasn't been given a shot in first grade in his preferred position.

His career reminds me, in a way, of Josh Morris. Josh was an outstanding centre in lower grades, who could only get a spot in first grade on the wing (and some fullback). While he was a serviceable winger with occasional touches of class, he was more than occasionally diabolical and consistently a wreck under the high ball. Moving back into the centres after changing clubs was huge for his career. Not saying this will happen with Vidot but the story so far is similar. What I'm saying is I wouldn't dismiss him based solely on what he's shown in first grade as a winger.

That said, I still have Chase ahead of him for the 3 jersey at the moment

Fingerbang

Bench
I would only take Mitch Brown if Jacob Miller also came with him. 2 players for the reported $280k. No way Brown is worth that much, just to play for Illawarra in NSW Cup. He tries hard, but just doesn't have it.....sorry.

Plus, I think Vidot will surprise some of you next year....and Chase was once again carving in the centres for Storm, before injury struck again.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Vidot is a winger, and a pretty average one at that. He is no where near robust enough for centre, his defence is rubbish. The fact is, he couldn't get a start at the Faiders and he is most famous for being punched in the head by Ben Rogers and trying to karate kick him back. Will see very limited first grade, and I say again, is not a centre.
I've seen Vidot play plenty of times, whilst his defence needs improving he has a bucketload more talent than Brown and yes he is a center

Kyle is a possibility, but will play fullback. His ball playing is twice that of Goodwin's.
He would be wasted in the centres. He needs to be either fullback or in the halves.
Kyle will need to improve his pace if he is to be a regular starting fullback. His kick returns are very ordinary.

Chase is a backrower waiting to develop. His future is in the second row, no doubt at all about that. Not the fastest, and would be suited to the interchange bench.

I agree we have a options out wide, lots of wingers floating around, but we need a centre, and if this bloke is cheap, we should try him.
It doesn't matter if he's a 2nd rower in waiting or not. We have a plethora of options for the center position, Brown would add absolutely nothing.

Latest posts