What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"IN WANE WE TRUST" ................ Shaun Wane that is.

Gareth67

First Grade
He is and he wants to coach in the NRL and he has engaged a manager over here to act on his behalf.

Gareth, if you have some spare time, do yourself a favour and watch the YouTube link I posted and listen to the man for yourself. He is very frank indeed.

I'm sure he's in the mix.

Thanks Dragsters , as a matter of fact I have watched the link twice over a few weeks and the man is exactly what the Dragons require now - more so at this rebuilding stage.

However I did hear that he had actually committed to another ESL team and from what Forbes Creek has said perhaps the England team itself .

Hopefully it is the former that is correct and he is made an offer - a decent offer here at the Dragons .

Gareth67

First Grade
The article that quoted him saying he wouldn't be available until after coaching England to beat Australia was from May 9th.

A lot has changed since then...

Have only now read this post - May 9th. - certainly changes the situation, he must be available and hopefully at the top of the ‘ must have ‘ list that the Dragon board now realizes it needs to progress and secure the Joint Ventures future.

Fingers cross !

Last edited:

Mjab

Juniors
My first choice would be Geoff Toovey.

Clearly you haven’t spoken to anyone who was at Manly during his tenure

A passionate motivator at best
No game plans
Players quickly got sick of the Toovey bullshit and limited brain function

He inherited a gifted squad and that’s why his record doesn’t look too bad

Most players thought Trent was a god in comparison

That says it all

be55

Juniors
I can't for the life of me understand why people are so high on this guy...he might be a great man manager I can't comment on that but people mentioning his 68% win record should realise that anything less would probably be considered under achieving as the coach of one of the big three in the Super League...Basically if your not coach of Wigan , Leeds or St Helens your just making up the numbers...ever since Bennett left we have been a complete basket case and the last thing I would be doing is handing the reigns over to someone who has never had anything to do with the NRL..I think we need a proven NRL standard coach and not someone coming from England trying to prove he has what it takes to make it...who that is I'm not sure but I pray the club gets it right because I don't think I can put up with another seven years like the last seven...

Mjab

Juniors
If we could get Wane great

He would hopefully bring some good poms with him and is experienced

BUT

If not we are going to struggle next year with other choices

Fitzgibbon is the best coach in waiting but I doubt he will leave for next year as he has promised the roosters to stay
Happy to have him , even if a rookie

Griffin may be ok but had problems at panthers , his personality lost some players and coaching staff but he could come for a year and instill discipline and a clean out
Apparently old school which was an issue
Maybe best of the bad bunch left

No Toovey
No Walters , there must be reasons no one else actually wants him, and he will hope
For the broncos soon to be vacated slot as Seibold cannot survive

No Green , failed 2 years , only won because of the 2JTs ,

St Georgio

Juniors
Rugby League is no different to the Stock Market, you cover your losses very quickly, Risk/Reward, how many years are you willing to cop shite for your stupid coaching.
In the Stock Market you want to win $30 and lose $10 dollars in 15 minutes. So when you enter a trade at $2 and you see your trade drop to $1.90-$1.85, you get the f**k out!
In League Terms you sign a coach for 3 years and get to finals 1 in 3 years you get the hell out!
We went through 7 years!

Last edited:

Coffs dragon

Bench
Ready’s Mail (Brent Read) claims Dean Young is the favourite to get the job. Ruled out Fitzgibbon & Ryles due to them signed and committed elsewhere plus he claims the NRL will not soften on the 2 years suspension handed to Flanno.
Interesting that he claimed Dean Young & Anthony Griffin have a good relationship from coaching duties with Tonga last year. Was mentioned that Griffin could join Young as a senior coaching assistant.

Dragsters

First Grade
Ready’s Mail (Brent Read) claims Dean Young is the favourite to get the job. Ruled out Fitzgibbon & Ryles due to them signed and committed elsewhere plus he claims the NRL will not soften on the 2 years suspension handed to Flanno.
Interesting that he claimed Dean Young & Anthony Griffin have a good relationship from coaching duties with Tonga last year. Was mentioned that Griffin could join Young as a senior coaching assistant.

Thank God it was only Brent Read...

RedVDave

First Grade
Clearly you haven’t spoken to anyone who was at Manly during his tenure

A passionate motivator at best
No game plans
Players quickly got sick of the Toovey bullshit and limited brain function

He inherited a gifted squad and that’s why his record doesn’t look too bad

Most players thought Trent was a god in comparison

That says it all

Toovey got results Barrett didn't.

Mjab

Juniors
I hope young is not the ongoing coach

But he was recommended by the peanut so he must be good

Apprenticeship under one of the worst coaches in St G history and son of probably THE worst coach.
What stellar experience

I can sadly see the board thinking it’s brilliant, like some of their other great ideas

Gareth67

First Grade
I don’t wish to spoil what has been a most joyous and memorable day for all Dragon fans however just a short comment about Dean Young - NO NO NO , not beyond this year .

Now that the Dragons board have finally grown a set and done what should had been done years ago , they MUST continue along this path and consider only the very best coaches available , not lower grade coaches without any NRL experience whatsoever.

So as said - a definite NO to Dean Young after the season’s end .

Enjoy the rest of the season gents .

Last edited:
Wayne Bennett would be the wrong appointment at this moment in time. It would be a ‘safe’ appointment, doesn’t show much daring or thought to a long-term vision, more a quick fix.

On the plus side:
He certainly would bring instant respect and attract the high quality players we need. He took the Broncos to within a minute of the flag with our current halfback. It may be that he’s simply a great fit for us. That unexplainable chemistry. He had us well under the radar the best part of his first two seasons With Saints. He would toughen us up instantly. He makes a lot out of a little, usually only needing a couple of flair players surrounded by a lot of worker bees and tough guys.

now the negatives:
Let’s look at his record since leaving Saints. In the ten years since he’s made one GF and one prelim. He had a blow out tear at the Knights and cried off a year before his contract finished.

He manoeuvres to his next gig before the last one ends. And takes players with him. He took several key planks of our side away with him to the Knights. Been moved on from two of his last three clubs as the third weighs up doing the same.

These days he also brings the whole sideshow. He brings a hard edged and tough winning culture but at times also looks bereft of solutions such as in 2011 when we won 5 of our last 13 games in an Uber late-season fade that rivalled any under Mary.

Maybe most tellingly, he hasn’t left a legacy of success anywhere He’s been after he’s left. Just pale Xerox’s of his style which is set up to fail without his personality to steer it. And also the style of football. It’s ugly, conservative, defence-oriented. Our points high tally for the season in 2010 was 32, twice. Even the current side put 34 on Cronulla this year, 40 on a couple of teams previously.

As much as Mary failed to deliver, the 48-18 SF win against the Broncos eclipses any win we had under Bennett, from a pure fan perspective. I mean the enjoyment of the football played, not the stakes. Maybe it was the surprise of it rather than just expecting to collect the wins as we could Safely do under Bennett, I don’t know.

to me the worst thing about Mary’s tenure was the dull, unimaginative, structured football we played. The lack of players with flair to get you on your feet. We would be trading that in for a winning, high-octane version of it.

But let’s face it, he hasn’t set the world on fire at Souths and there are no excuses. He’s mis-managed certain areas of their roster in my view. The magic seems to be wearing off.

it’s a no to Bennett. Show some imagination, let’s get away from dull football. Appoint somebody who will guarantee an entertaining journey along with a good win percentage. Let’s face it, No club (without unlimited resources) can win comp after comp. You have to enjoy the down years as well.

1983-84, 1998, 2002, 2005, 2017. These were not premiership or GF years but they gave hope, excitement, promise. Pleasure.

Latest posts