What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indigenous All Stars reach out to bullied nine-year-old

AJB1102

First Grade
Bullying at schools is so widespread it rarely makes the media.

Bullying is not new. I don't recall it making the news when I was younger. Reporting on the prevalence of bullying I'd hazard a guess lines up with the prevalence of social media.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bullying is not new. I don't recall it making the news when I was younger. Reporting on the prevalence of bullying I'd hazard a guess lines up with the prevalence of social media.

what news did you think it would make before social media? Not like the 5pm tv news is going to talk about it.
Like it or loath it social media now means the public can generate it’s own news, not rely on whatever news corporations deem to be worthy for us to hear.

Knight Vision

First Grade
social media now means the public can generate it’s own news, not rely on whatever news corporations deem to be worthy for us to hear.

This makes me LOL . You know what astroturfing is? you dont hear or read anything ( or very little ) that corporations dont want you to hear or read. They tell you how to think and you dont even know it.

Canard

Immortal
This makes me LOL . You know what astroturfing is? you dont hear or read anything ( or very little ) that corporations dont want you to hear or read. They tell you how to think and you dont even know it.

As if this is true....

On an unrelated topic, I'd like to congratulate the NSW govt on the way they have handled the Stadium rebuilds, super professional and without fuss..

langpark

First Grade
I'd say you're over analysing it. Lack of comment isn't proof of anything.
I am not saying it "proves" anything. I am just baffled by the media's response. Usually they immediately search out the culprits and the school principal. The amount of media saturation this story has received, yet still NOBODY even the name of the school that he attended!? How is that possible!?

Is it because he is a 'double-minority' (dwarf and aboriginal) that the media dare not ask any follow-up questions? Or has the outpouring of support just become such a feelgood story that we dare not ask any follow-up questions!?

carcharias

Immortal
My son has a mate who has dwarfism.
He actually lead the sharks out in the GF qualifier against the cowboys in 2016 .

I haven’t heard one instance of him being bullied at school.
If anything he is a bit of celebrity.
I know when he has been with me and we’ve been to a shopping centre people do stare.
Kids especially.
Once they meet him ... within 15 mins they’ve usually gotten over it.

He is a resilient dude.
Loves footy so much he runs the water.
Basketball on Fridays he does the scoring.
If he needs help getting in or out of the car he’ll ask me.
That’s cool.
Glad he comfortable enough to ask.

betcats

Referee
When I first saw this video, I was upset, like I am sure everyone was. After seeing it, first thing I did, was googled: Quaden Bayles school. Quaden Bayles principal. Quaden Bayles statement. And so on...

Usually whenever there is a bullying incident, the first thing media types do is SWARM on the school and get statements from the principal! The standard statement usually comes out: We are shocked to hear of this incident, _____ school has a zero tolerance policy for bullying and we will get to the bottom of this!

Now, I have searched the internet high and low, and cannot find ANY media even mentioning:
1) details of the actual bullying incident(s)
2) statement from principal
3) even the NAME OF THE SCHOOL FFS!!!

Can someone tell me if I am missing something!? If not, what on earth is going on!? Did the media just not dare to ask questions because he is a midget or what!? I am baffled. I am not saying it is a scam necessarily, just the media reaction/reporting has been the total opposite to every other bullying incident they have reported on.

Yep you are really onto something here dickhead, the media are reporting on a video going viral they aren't reporting on the bullying incident.

langpark

First Grade
Yep you are really onto something here dickhead, the media are reporting on a video going viral they aren't reporting on the bullying incident.
What on earth are you talking about!? Did you say the same thing on the day of the 9/11?? "Uh, the media are not reporting on a terrorist attack, but on a video that captured it and went viral".

Coparugby

Juniors
I am not saying it "proves" anything. I am just baffled by the media's response. Usually they immediately search out the culprits and the school principal. The amount of media saturation this story has received, yet still NOBODY even the name of the school that he attended!? How is that possible!?

Is it because he is a 'double-minority' (dwarf and aboriginal) that the media dare not ask any follow-up questions? Or has the outpouring of support just become such a feelgood story that we dare not ask any follow-up questions!?
It took me 10 seconds and one google search to find that he attends Carina State school. This is clearly recorded in numerous mainstream media articles.

betcats

Referee
What on earth are you talking about!? Did you say the same thing on the day of the 9/11?? "Uh, the media are not reporting on a terrorist attack, but on a video that captured it and went viral".

Oh yes this is really similar to 9/11 you moron.

Willow

Assistant Moderator

Are you looking for answers or making assumptions?

betcats

Referee
Does it really bother people to see this kid get so much positive attention they need to start looking for reasons to doubt the story?

FTR the GoFundMe setup is going to pay for the Disney holiday and then donate the leftover money to anti bullying charities, he isn't getting half a mil dropped in his bank account(not that I would care).

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Now, I have searched the internet high and low, and cannot find ANY media even mentioning:
1) details of the actual bullying incident(s)
2) statement from principal
3) even the NAME OF THE SCHOOL FFS!!!

On Wednesday, Quaden was bullied at his Brisbane school when a fellow student made references about his height while "patting him on the head like a puppy"
She said Quaden has been on the receiving end of a range of bullying actions since the school year started three weeks ago, which led to her withdrawing him from Carina State School.

Ms Bayles will also meet with the principal of Carina State School on Monday.
https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article...-disabilities-quadens-message-parents-bullies

And...

The Murri mother who shared a video of her 9-year-old son's despair following a bullying incident at a Brisbane State School has called for disability awareness to be embedded in the curriculum.

Yarraka Bayles, whose son Quaden was born with Achondroplasia, the most common form of Dwarfism, witnessed the incident at Carina State School on Wednesday afternoon. Speaking exclusively to NITV News, Ms Bayles says it was heartbreaking and made her feel 'helpless'.

https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article...ity-awareness-schools-after-constant-bullying

Are you satisfied now? And why did it matter so much?

myrrh ken

First Grade
The case is a bit odd. i'm not sure if the bullying seems that bad - being patted and called cute, a baby. depends on how its said I guess.

He obviously doesn't like it. whether he genuinely feels how he does in the vid ore how much influence the mum has no one can say.

But you gotta take these things at face value and treat them as a warning sign. People hurt themselves for their own reasons

it would be difficult to day this was a scam for financial reasons as the global response could not have been predicted.

Coparugby

Juniors
The only thing people need to know is that there’s a 9 year old child out there who wants to kill himself, his first suicide attempt was at age 6, his family states bullying has been an ongoing problem and that he needs assistance.

He needs compassion and assistance.

All the other online drama surrounding it is weird unnecessary harassment and bullying.

TheFrog

Coach
what news did you think it would make before social media? Not like the 5pm tv news is going to talk about it.
Like it or loath it social media now means the public can generate it’s own news, not rely on whatever news corporations deem to be worthy for us to hear.
Only when the kid being bullied picks up his assailant (half his size mind you) and spear tackles him into the ground. That one went viral.

Knight Vision

First Grade
As if this is true....

On an unrelated topic, I'd like to congratulate the NSW govt on the way they have handled the Stadium rebuilds, super professional and without fuss..
Which one did ya get? Better hospitals and schools? investment in regional fire services perhaps? ..............................or a place to watch the footy ? ......

Latest posts