What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indigenous Round

Why not 'celebrate' European, or Asian, North and South American, African, etc, cultures as well, that's what we're doing by having these rounds right?! Or are you saying that European and/or Asian, African, etc, etc, cultures aren't worth celebrating? Or even that they shouldn't be celebrated?

The NRL opens it's self up to these questions by going down this route, and they can't have it both ways. Either it's good for everybody for it's good for nobody, and whether they realise it or not they're also intimating things by excluding people/groups from participating or having their own "celebrations".

I look forward to you calling me a racist for suggesting that people shouldn't be treated differently based on their race and/or ethnicity. That's normally how these discussions go these days.
I’m not going to call you anything but when there such a significant and disproportionate presence in Rugby League of a minority group which has suffered mistreatment and prejudice for a long period, then I welcome these types of initiatives.

Those other cultures that you mention may all deserve recognition, but are not cultures that are overly and disproportionately represented in the NRL, or if they are, then they are not a culture which has been unfairly mistreated, so are probably better served to be represented by groups they are more prevalent in.

Can’t believe I had to explain that.

It’s like having to answer a child that asks “when is Kids Day?” when they’ve learned there is a Mother’s Day.

This Year?

Immortal
To me indigenous round is more about the history of the areas than ethnicity. I love all the jersey designs and how it tells a story of the history of area that the jersey represents. In some designs, that history goes further back than European settlement and most of it isn't in any history book. Pretty amazing when you think about it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
To me indigenous round is more about the history of the areas than ethnicity. I love all the jersey designs and how it tells a story of the history of area that the jersey represents. In some designs, that history goes further back than European settlement and most of it isn't in any history book. Pretty amazing when you think about it.
Agree, it celebrates the long history of Australia and teaches us of the lands we now are lucky enough to call home.

The Great Dane

First Grade
fmd the first nations people of this country have been colonised, massacred in frontier wars, children stolen from them by the government and still to this day have a life expectancy 8 years shorter than the rest of the population. They get 1 round of the NRL season celebrated under the limelight and you still find a reason to have whinge and ask why not me too??? Grow up
Every culture on the planet has experienced similar oppression and injustice throughout their history at least at some point, and most of them consistently through out history. That's certainly true of most of the people who immigrated to Australia during the 1800s, and parts of the 1900s as well depending on the wave of immigration and who they were.

With the exception of a minority of people whom came exclusively from the aristocratic classes of the UK, Europe, and America, pretty much all of Australia's immigration pre 1900 came from what might have been termed the refuse of European, and Asian as well to a lesser extent, society at the time, that were either forced to move here (that's not just the convicts BTW) or whom were fleeing war or one form of oppression or another. Most of them faced further oppression or mistreatment in one from or another once they got here as well.

To down play that, or pretend that it didn't happen, is just as bad as revisionist history that downplays the oppression and injustices that indigenous Australians have faced, or similar attempts to downplay the refugee status of other groups in more recent times.

Also 1 round to be celebrated under the limelight is more than anybody else gets. So what are you, and the NRL by extension, saying by that?

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
I’m not going to call you anything but when there such a significant and disproportionate presence in Rugby League of a minority group which has suffered mistreatment and prejudice for a long period, then I welcome these types of initiatives.

Those other cultures that you mention may all deserve recognition, but are not cultures that are overly and disproportionately represented in the NRL, or if they are, then they are not a culture which has been unfairly mistreated, so are probably better served to be represented by groups they are more prevalent in.

Can’t believe I had to explain that.

It’s like having to answer a child that asks “when is Kids Day?” when they’ve learned there is a Mother’s Day.
You're not explaining anything, you're just trying to rationalise why it's should be okay for you to treat people differently based on their race and/or ethnicity, but not for them to treat you/Indigenous people differently based on their race and/or ethnicity.

You're trying to say that it's okay for me but not for thee without having to actually come out and say it, and rather ironically attitudes like yours compound and perpetuate the problems that you claim to want to fix.

Mr. Shaman

First Grade
“Fam”. Sure you aren’t bogan. So your young, I guess then parents probably tell you indigenous people should “just get over it”.
I’m from China, and not even Han Chinese, a minority, so don’t you get all high and mighty with me about injustices.

Victoire

Juniors
Every culture on the planet has experienced similar oppression and injustice throughout their history at least at some point, and most of them consistently through out history. That's certainly true of most of the people who immigrated to Australia during the 1800s, and parts of the 1900s as well depending on the wave of immigration and who they were.

With the exception of a minority of people whom came exclusively from the aristocratic classes of the UK, Europe, and America, pretty much all of Australia's immigration pre 1900 came from what might have been termed the refuse of European, and Asian as well to a lesser extent, society at the time, that were either forced to move here (that's not just the convicts BTW) or whom were fleeing war or one form of oppression or another. Most of them faced further oppression or mistreatment in one from or another once they got here as well.

To down play that, or pretend that it didn't happen, is just as bad as revisionist history that downplays the oppression and injustices that indigenous Australians have faced, or similar attempts to downplay the refugee status of other groups in more recent times.

Also 1 round to be celebrated under the limelight is more than anybody else gets. So what are you, and the NRL by extension, saying by that?
Jesus christ... this is the kind of smooth-brained thinking that farts out a concept like "Respect Round".

We're not conducting an oppression contest here, regardless of how far back into the middle ages you want to go to compete in it. None of them are the first nations people of this country, simple as that. If you want to whinge freely about (completely non-existent) reverse racism or that white people are discriminated against perhaps Elon Musk's twitter is for you.

Bazal

Post Whore
Now that you mention it, I am white and have not contributed shit......like ever........

Do funny memes count?

I have contributed to alcoholism statistics as an Eels fan so I would say memes are acceptable