What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indigenous Round

Victoire

Juniors
For the "sport and politics don't mix" crowd whinging about the NRL backing the first nations' voice to parliament... there is a sport for you, and it's been there all along (at least since the Vichy days). Put on your leather-patched tweed jacket, pick up the kids from their private boarding school and drive the Range Rover to a Brumbies game. Spiffing

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Why? The Pacific Islanders are the indigenous to their respective islands. If the NRL wants to represent the pacific, then there is good reason to include those cultures in this celebration.
So where does it end? John Bateman is indigenous to England. Does he get included to?

Here's an idea, ask the indigenous people what they want before fixing something that isn't broken.

They should have a round for both.

It would actually be a great idea to do a separate round Pacific Nations round

If we could play a few matches in NZ/Pacific Island/PNG it would be a huge cultural event that would grab a lot of attention.

It would be the end of the League Union debate for who is King of the Pacific

docbrown

Coach
Why? The Pacific Islanders are the indigenous to their respective islands. If the NRL wants to represent the pacific, then there is good reason to include those cultures in this celebration.
Step 1. Go talk to as many Aboriginals, Torres Strait Islanders, Melanesians and Polynesians as you possible can.

Step 2. Ask them this question: Should we celebrate all of your peoples all at the same time? Like for instance, cram NAIDOC week into the same time frame as we run all the Pacific Islander recognition events.

Step 3. Listen whilst they explain to you that a) they are different peoples b) they have different heritages c) they have different issues and needs d) most of the time they don’t get enough attention to those issues and needs, so they would be unhappy to share the meagre amounts they do get with other groups e) that there is a long sad history of outsiders lumping them altogether in one category that has distinctly racist overtones.

Step 4. Instead of reacting negatively choose to learn from the experience.

docbrown

Coach
It would actually be a great idea to do a separate round Pacific Nations round

If we could play a few matches in NZ/Pacific Island/PNG it would be a huge cultural event that would grab a lot of attention.

It would be the end of the League Union debate for who is King of the Pacific
It’s just good marketing for a good cause.

Pacific Round

Auckland, Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney — big games for expats that offset smaller pacific island crowds

Napier or Gisborne - outside the box - they have large Maori populations.

Port Moresby, Suva and Apia - 3 Island nations

Canberra - sounds odd but you’d invite all the embassy staff of all the countries to come watch the game. I’d even call it the embassy game. You watch the Australian politicians also come out of the woodwork. Take that, China!

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yeah, there are some really piss weak responses to this thread. I didn’t realise there were so many ignorant turds lurking in this forum’s bowl. Someone give it a flush please.
Why not 'celebrate' European, or Asian, North and South American, African, etc, cultures as well, that's what we're doing by having these rounds right?! Or are you saying that European and/or Asian, African, etc, etc, cultures aren't worth celebrating? Or even that they shouldn't be celebrated?

The NRL opens it's self up to these questions by going down this route, and they can't have it both ways. Either it's good for everybody for it's good for nobody, and whether they realise it or not they're also intimating things by excluding people/groups from participating or having their own "celebrations".

I look forward to you calling me a racist for suggesting that people shouldn't be treated differently based on their race and/or ethnicity. That's normally how these discussions go these days.

Chimp

Bench
One thing I do find bizarre around indigenous round is that all the talk shows and podcasts will reference how ‘they’ play the game, and it’s ‘backyard footy’…. Nothing like some sweeping generalisations based on someone’s heritage to show how diverse and inclusive you are in your thinking.

Bazal

Post Whore
Doesn’t have much marketing when you only have Luke Keary and Sam Walker and the former is transparent - semi opaque at best.

I'd love for the NRL to have a sickle-cell anemia round in honour of Keary and Walker.

Everyone can wear white and the players can all donate blood in the centre of the ground just before kick off instead of a minutes silence or a ceremony

Victoire

Juniors
Why not 'celebrate' European, or Asian, North and South American, African, etc, cultures as well, that's what we're doing by having these rounds right?! Or are you saying that European and/or Asian, African, etc, etc, cultures aren't worth celebrating? Or even that they shouldn't be celebrated?

The NRL opens it's self up to these questions by going down this route, and they can't have it both ways. Either it's good for everybody for it's good for nobody, and whether they realise it or not they're also intimating things by excluding people/groups from participating or having their own "celebrations".

I look forward to you calling me a racist for suggesting that people shouldn't be treated differently based on their race and/or ethnicity. That's normally how these discussions go these days.
fmd the first nations people of this country have been colonised, massacred in frontier wars, children stolen from them by the government and still to this day have a life expectancy 8 years shorter than the rest of the population. They get 1 round of the NRL season celebrated under the limelight and you still find a reason to have whinge and ask why not me too??? Grow up

Bazal

Post Whore
fmd the first nations people of this country have been colonised, massacred in frontier wars, children stolen from them by the government and still to this day have a life expectancy 8 years shorter than the rest of the population. They get 1 round of the NRL season celebrated under the limelight and you still find a reason to have whinge and ask why not me too??? Grow up

At a personal level I agree with you mostly, and think the NRL should do even more for Indigenous people.

But also from a purely historical perspective, every single culture on that list and every other culture you could name has a very similar history. It's just the recency that differs. Humans are just animals at the end of the day. But that's a more serious discussion than I want to give involved in at my age and level of cynicism tbh

And also it must be said that attitudes like "what about white pride day!!!" are ultimately dumb as f**k, no argument