What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indigenous Round

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
What About Me Singing GIF by Greyhound Australia

Pippen94

First Grade
Why not 'celebrate' European, or Asian, North and South American, African, etc, cultures as well, that's what we're doing by having these rounds right?! Or are you saying that European and/or Asian, African, etc, etc, cultures aren't worth celebrating? Or even that they shouldn't be celebrated?

The NRL opens it's self up to these questions by going down this route, and they can't have it both ways. Either it's good for everybody for it's good for nobody, and whether they realise it or not they're also intimating things by excluding people/groups from participating or having their own "celebrations".

I look forward to you calling me a racist for suggesting that people shouldn't be treated differently based on their race and/or ethnicity. That's normally how these discussions go these days.

Pretty obvious why game is celebrating indigenous culture in Australia as opposed to south american culture etc what with this being Australia..

The Great Dane

First Grade
probably because what you said was so indecipherable, I don’t think anyone would know where to start.
Only to people whom have no understanding of the philosophical concepts at the core of what is being discussed and/or are totally historically illiterate.

I accept that that describes most people unfortunately.
Jesus christ... this is the kind of smooth-brained thinking that farts out a concept like "Respect Round".

We're not conducting an oppression contest here, regardless of how far back into the middle ages you want to go to compete in it. None of them are the first nations people of this country, simple as that. If you want to whinge freely about (completely non-existent) reverse racism or that white people are discriminated against perhaps Elon Musk's twitter is for you.
That's exactly what you are doing.

The whole argument so far has been that Indigenous people (and other select groups) have faced unique oppression that means that they uniquely need to be "celebrated", i.e. they are/were more oppressed than anybody else therefore they deserve special treatment.

BTW, racism's just racism, and the use of the term "reverse racism" suggests that you think that only "white" people can be racist. I also don't accept that the term 'white' has any real meaningful value as a descriptive term for groups of people, but that's a whole other discussion.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The whole argument so far has been that Indigenous people (and other select groups) have faced unique oppression that means that they uniquely need to be "celebrated", i.e. they are/were more oppressed than anybody else therefore they deserve special treatment.

look at it a different way. Every nation should celebrate and nurture their indigenous cultures because they’re unique to them and if they don’t those cultures are at risk of disappearing and the world will be a poorer place for it. Indigenous cultures are a large part of what make nations culturally distinct from each other and without them the world would be a lot more homogenous and boring. and it becomes doubly relevant when there are many representatives of those cultures playing out game.

Last edited:

Frailty

First Grade
Who'd have thought people would take offence to celebrating the world's oldest surviving culture that's unique to Australia and whose people have contributed massively to this amazing game.

Bazal

Post Whore
Who'd have thought people would take offence to celebrating the world's oldest surviving culture that's unique to Australia and whose people have contributed massively to this amazing game.

Boomers gonna boom

I don't think anyone is actually offended tbh. I think certain sections of society are just never happy unless they have something to bitch about. Inventing challenges makes them feel like they've worked harder or done more in life or something so their working class dad's would be proud.

And some are just plain racists also.

Of course the reverse of this also exists and is no better. @Pippen94 and @No1_Eel are testament to that

JamesRustle

First Grade
Here I was thinking this thread would be celebrating the contribution of all the great indigenous sports men and women of our game and wider community.
I thought this was just another Latrell pile on as the racist OP chose the title "Indigenous Round" as they assume all indigenous players are fat.