What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

inglis scouted by the nfl

MightyBronco

Juniors
So how exactly is it that being recruited from an Australian Schoolboy Rugby Union side is not coming from a different sporting code?

Handy rule of thumb; Rugby Union =/= Gridiron.

And no, lots of Aussies do not do the college thing. A handful of Australians play in college system, and even fewer of those play for Div I teams (i.e. the college division that actually matters).

It wasnt THE australian schoolboys team, some other lesser team. And i was comparing the differences between coming from the top level of a sport on converting to NFL, as opposed to going through the college system. But whateva.

And about 2-300 Aussies have done the college thing in the last couple of decades. Thats lots. Sure only a handful are Div1AA, but still. Ive been involved with the sport in Aus for about that period of time.

But again, whateva.

Jennings is the only NRL player with the skill set to have a crack at NFL. But who knows.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Inglis could only make it as a line back but he wouldnt make it. He is too slow and too light. The smallest line backs in the NFL are 110kg and run 40meters in 4.2 sec, inglis couldnt compete with that IMO.

NO-ONE runs 40m in 4.2. Usain Bolt doesn't. That's 40 YARDS.

This same conversation (comparing the vital stats) comes up every time this conversation gets dragged up, but I'll repeat what I always say in these threads: the times you hear for the fastest NRL players vs the fastest NFL players are always very similar.

RugbyHighlights

Juniors
The footwork shown in the NFL appears alot better than it is. I'm not saying it's not great, but understand they're running through guys who are running full speed in the opposite direction. It's somewhat of an optical illusion.

Benji would look much better in the same situation. He'd appear far faster and quicker when stepping than he really is.

If you want to talk about footwork I honestly don't think I've seen anyone as good as Jason Robinson. He had the best step in League. When he went to Union he had the best step in Union. And I've seen nothing in the NFL to suggest he wouldn't have been the same there given he was raised playing NFL.

League players definately have it, athletically. That's not a question, anyone doubting that is a moron. The problem is they don't know the game. As athletes there's little to be questioned. Knowing the game is an entirely different thing.

For the same reason NFL players would fail at League, despite having a ton of freak athletes.

You only have to look at the impact Samoans are having in the NFL to realise our guys would go good. They're about 40 x more likely than African Americans to make it in the NFL on a per person basis!

Noa

First Grade
You only have to look at the impact Samoans are having in the NFL to realise our guys would go good. They're about 40 x more likely than African Americans to make it in the NFL on a per person basis!

Ive been waiting for some-one to make that point.

This same conversation (comparing the vital stats) comes up every time this conversation gets dragged up, but I'll repeat what I always say in these threads: the times you hear for the fastest NRL players vs the fastest NFL players are always very similar.

:lol:, yep and Chris Johnson does'nt even run 40 YARDS in 4.2

RugbyHighlights

Juniors

Somewhat off topic but I saw a documentary from America about the American Sevens team(Union)... And their coach claimed he won't have anyone on his team who can't run a 4.5 40 yards or better.

Which to me sounded a bit far out, but it's hard to gauge where Union and League are these days in regards to speed. We don't have stats like they do in the NFL.

hellteam

First Grade
It wasnt THE australian schoolboys team, some other lesser team. And i was comparing the differences between coming from the top level of a sport on converting to NFL, as opposed to going through the college system. But whateva.

And about 2-300 Aussies have done the college thing in the last couple of decades. Thats lots. Sure only a handful are Div1AA, but still. Ive been involved with the sport in Aus for about that period of time.

But again, whateva.

Jennings is the only NRL player with the skill set to have a crack at NFL. But who knows.

Yes it was, it was the Australian Rugby Union Schoolboys. I have his book.

But I see your point. Maybe if they picked up Inglis when he was in school and he went over there to college, but it's too late now because it would take too long for him to learn.

Rudderriffic

Juniors

But again, whateva.

To put your purported number of Australian players over a couple of decades in prespective, each Div 1a team, of which there 119, has an average of 125 players registered this season. That is 14,875 just for Div 1a (this is not including Div 1aa, Div 2 or Div 3), for just one season. You are crowing that having 200-300 players over a couple of decades is 'lots', in a system that would have churned through hundreds of thousands in that same time period.

And yes, Colin Scotts played in the '81 Australian Schoolboy Rugby Union side.

You're right, transfering from the pinacle of one professional football code to another so completely different would be nigh on impossible. But to say that Colin Scotts did not come from another code (albiet still playing at the development level) is diminishing what he achieved in both his college career, and the milestone of actually being selected in a relatively respectable round of the NFL draft (round 3).

Last edited:

nrlnrl

First Grade
Remember where this story was first published - a gossip column. The same place that told us Willie Mason was going to play for the All Blacks, be a world champion boxer & a superstar in the NFL. There's a 100% strike rate with those 3.....

caylo

Bench

alright if that is true 40 yards is 36.5 meters. Add the extra 3.5 meters (0.4 seconds) and you have to run 40 meters in lets say 4.6 seconds to be a chance.

Jarryd Hayne runs 40 meters in 4.6 seconds but does it at 98kg, these guys are 10-20kg more then him and run it faster. That is at the very least, remember alot of these players are african americans who have a higher percentage of fast twitch muscles then europeans or Islanders (or aboriginal australians for that matter).

Inglis doesnt have the physical attributes to play in the NFL, pretty much no player in the NRL would have the physical attributes because they wouldnt make it in the NRL because it has a greater emphasis on durability then raw power.

simmo1

First Grade
I dunno about Inglis, but Jamal Idris could easily slot into any offensive, defensive or special teams position for any NFL team. :sarcasm:

RugbyHighlights

Juniors
alright if that is true 40 yards is 36.5 meters. Add the extra 3.5 meters (0.4 seconds) and you have to run 40 meters in lets say 4.6 seconds to be a chance.

Jarryd Hayne runs 40 meters in 4.6 seconds but does it at 98kg, these guys are 10-20kg more then him and run it faster. That is at the very least, remember alot of these players are african americans who have a higher percentage of fast twitch muscles then europeans or Islanders (or aboriginal australians for that matter).

Inglis doesnt have the physical attributes to play in the NFL, pretty much no player in the NRL would have the physical attributes because they wouldnt make it in the NRL because it has a greater emphasis on durability then raw power.

False. There is no discernable difference between an African in America to an African in Europe, Africa, Asia, South America etc.

It's nothing but Yank propoganda to suggest Africans in America are physically superior to Africans living elsewhere.

Twitch muscles my arse. I've never in my life heard that, and I studied Biology for 8 years.:lol:

Absolute bullsh*t on your part. Inglis has the perfect physical attributes to play in the NFL. What he doesn't have is knowledge of the game. Athletically he's superior to 97% of NFL players.

You know nothing about biology or sport. Stop talking sh*te.

RugbyHighlights

Juniors
You hear alot of sh*t from these yank-beggars, but none of them will post up facts to support their claims that NFL players are physically superior.

Samoans are 40 x more likely that African Americans to make it in the NFL.

Now watch these yank-beggars ignore my post and start talking about twitch-muscles LOL. They hide from the facts. Buying into Capitalist Yank propoganda is what they do.

fourplay

Juniors

NFL 40 yard dashes are timed differently too. There is no bang that goes off to start the timer. It begins when the runner takes his hand off the ground so usually he has already launched himself taken a step before the timer begins. So you can add anywhere up to half a second on those times.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Twitch muscles my arse. I've never in my life heard that, and I studied Biology for 8 years.:lol:

Standard response from a Rugby Union fan. DOn't know sh*t but pontificate like you do.

There are two types of voluntary muscle fibres, slow switching and fast twitching. The latter are known to provide a more explosive, impulse motion particuarly in contract motions and these fibres fatigue faster. They can also engage in anaerobic reactions, this causes lactic acid.

People of West African heritage are known to be genetically disposed to have a higher concentration of fast twitching muscle fibres in their voluntary muscle make up.

You take take the boy out off the RU board, but you can't take the stupid out of the RU fan.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
NFL 40 yard dashes are timed differently too. There is no bang that goes off to start the timer. It begins when the runner takes his hand off the ground so usually he has already launched himself taken a step before the timer begins. So you can add anywhere up to half a second on those times.

Really? I was of the belief they (the NFL) timed moving starts, the measure they timed was terminal speed.

Bumble

First Grade
You hear alot of sh*t from these yank-beggars, but none of them will post up facts to support their claims that NFL players are physically superior.

Samoans are 40 x more likely that African Americans to make it in the NFL.

Now watch these yank-beggars ignore my post and start talking about twitch-muscles LOL. They hide from the facts. Buying into Capitalist Yank propoganda is what they do.

I can't ignore this because it's easily the most absurd thing I've ever read about the subject :lol:

Perth Red

Post Whore
given every year tens of thousands of college players who have been playing AF since jnr school that never make it into the NFL I very much doubt someone at 21+ is ever going to get close to a NFL roster!

I played AF from 13 years old and by the time I reached 19 and made it to a semi decent level we had a playbook 50 pages long we had to memorise! Given some RL players have difficulty putting a sentence together I am thinking anyhting more than a post route or hook is going to screw them up!

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
given every year tens of thousands of college players who have been playing AF since jnr school that never make it into the NFL I very much doubt someone at 21+ is ever going to get close to a NFL roster!

I played AF from 13 years old and by the time I reached 19 and made it to a semi decent level we had a playbook 50 pages long we had to memorise! Given some RL players have difficulty putting a sentence together I am thinking anyhting more than a post route or hook is going to screw them up!

I have mates from the US who taught in some of the bigger colleges. They both have the same opinion of gridiron players as you do of RL players.

Footballers, whatever the code, always seem to cop sh*t from the rest of society for some reason.

Latest posts