What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

inglis scouted by the nfl

nqcowboy87

Bench
yeh he said he was interested in playing nfl as a punter after he got sacked by the raiders, just pie in the sky stuff

stormbati

Bench
im no nfl expert, i like watching the games and playing madden but i reckon a guy like dave taylor could make a good running back like ladainian tomlinson, imagine somebody like peyton manning taking the snap and handing off too dave atylor, thatd be pretty awesome
99% of running backs in the NFL are African American IIRC (going off Madden 10 rosters)

Im no expert either, but maybe Taylor could be a Fullback? or Tight End or Linebacker.

hellteam

First Grade
I don't think you could make a more ridiculous comparison then Ladanian Tomlinson and Dave Taylor, they're nothing like each other.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
NY Daily News shot this Jets rumor down a couple of hrs ago. Jets FO was pissed at Inglis's agent for blabbing to all the media outlets about the contact.

Noa

First Grade
OLB would probably be the easiest position to learn, and athletically he's equipped.

stormbati

Bench
I think he'd make it. Can't expect him to be running lines or whatever, just get him the ball and five him a few decent blockers, why wouldn't he?
The helmet may change things a lot though.

nqcowboy87

Bench
I think he'd make it. Can't expect him to be running lines or whatever, just get him the ball and five him a few decent blockers, why wouldn't he?
The helmet may change things a lot though.

yeh ive always wondered the effect this would have on peripheral vision playing football and especially given gi's talents

Doug2234

First Grade
No rugby league player would ever make it in the NFL just like no NFL player would ever make it in the NRL,end of story,thanks for coming.

I beg to differ. Paul Sironen played for the University of Hawaii in college football. From my talks with some old Hawaii fans he was a great defensive tackle and could have gone to the NFL. But he instead chose to come home from Hawaii. So im guessing palying for Balmain, NSW and Australia means he wasnt successful at Rugby League going on your thoughts, or should i say, lack of thoughts.

Colin Scotts is another Australian that played in the NFL. All though he mostly played Union (Australian School Boys Team) he had some Rugby Leaugue experience, he forged a solid career for St. Louis Cardinals and the Houston Oilers.

Last edited:

caylo

Bench
Read my responses. You're all taking my posts out of context.

I want you to prove that Africans residing in America have a different muscle structure to Africans residing outside of America. You can't because it's a fallacy. Nothing but yank propoganda that their athletes, africans in particular, are genetically superior to all others.

There is no difference between an African living in Australia or GB and an African living in America. The end.

This is the point I'm trying to make.

I never compared Africans from america or anywhere else I simply compared them to Australian indigenous and pasific island people. It has been noted in many studies that Africans (most studies use african americans) have more fast twich muscle then white and european populations. Indigenous Australian and Pasific islanders do have more fast twich muscle then white europeans but not as much as africans who Inglis would be competing against rather then just white europeans and pasific islanders.

nqcowboy87

Bench
i was reading an old paper from 2000 on the microfilms in the library the other day, and apparently mad mog macdougall was offered a trial from three nfl clubs

hellteam

First Grade
This seems to be an American columnist commenting on Inglis.. doesn't mean anything really but it's interesting.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...er-interested-in-australian-rugby-star-inglis

You may wonder what rugby has to do with the NFL, or how the Denver Broncos think that a guy who's never played organized football could come in and contribute to the team.

The answer is simple: Rugby and football truly aren't that different once you get through all the rules. It's still a bunch of sweaty men slamming their bodies against one another for the goal of being the best.

Greg Inglis was only 15 years old when he got noticed by scouts while playing rugby at a junior carnival. His physical demeanor (6'5", 242 pounds), and crushing blows made him easy to notice no matter where he was on the field.

Inglis signed his first professional contract with the Melbourne Storm shortly thereafter and the rest is history. Now Inglis is considered to be the best rugby player on the planet.

Inglis' size, speed, and ability to hit have NFL teams looking at him as a linebacker. He's already received tryout offers from the Broncos, Buffalo Bills, New York Giants, and now the New York Jets are reportedly interested in him as well.

The fact that Inglis is still only 23 years old and already the best rugby player in the world have definitely helped him get noticed internationally as well.

The only true issue that Inglis has ever been a part of happened on Aug. 9, 2009, when he was charged with recklessly causing injury and unlawful assault, after he reportedly beat his former girlfriend. He was suspended indefinitely by the Storm pending the outcome of the trial.

Inglis eventually accepted a diversion order in lieu of the assault charges, and was re-instated to the Storm by the team, and the National Rugby League (NRL).

The Broncos could use some depth at linebacker, and some feel Inglis can return kicks in the NFL as well. He's physical, strong, and quick for a man his size (reported 4.6 40 speed).

Inglis has managed to win nearly every NRL award, including the Golden Boot last season, which is given to the best rugby player on the planet.

Though the Storm are now mired in controversy due to reported salary cap rorting (Australia's version of violating the salary cap), Inglis has not made it clear whether he intends to rugby next year, or attend any tryouts with NFL teams this summer.

Hopefully, the Broncos can convince him to come and play some American football,

because if Inglis can hit that way without pads, I'd love to see what he could on a football field in orange-and-blue.

UPDATE!!!! (May 25th)

Knew I'd find it somewhere. Greg Inglis is under contract by the Melbourne Storm until the end of 2012 at a salary of $500,000 a year.

$500,000......as THE BEST RUGBY PLAYER IN THE WORLD.....some of the worst players in the NFL make more money than that, no wonder he's legitimately interested in the NFL.

Minimum salary in the NFL next season is $325,000. I'm sure that anyone who signed Inglis to a contract would be happy to match the $500,000 he's being paid by the Storm.

If Inglis actually panned out in the NFL, he could stand to earn 4-10 times his annual salary with the Storm.

There's also a poll on the site with the question, Do you think Greg Inglis will play in the NFL this year? After 208 votes, 58.2% of people say yes, must be an American site haha.

hellteam

First Grade
This article is some American columnist commenting on Inglis.. doesn't mean anything really but it's interesting.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...er-interested-in-australian-rugby-star-inglis

Denver Broncos May Go Down Under and Snag Rugby's Greg Inglis

You may wonder what rugby has to do with the NFL, or how the Denver Broncos think that a guy who's never played organized football could come in and contribute to the team.

The answer is simple: Rugby and football truly aren't that different once you get through all the rules. It's still a bunch of sweaty men slamming their bodies against one another for the goal of being the best.

Greg Inglis was only 15 years old when he got noticed by scouts while playing rugby at a junior carnival. His physical demeanor (6'5", 242 pounds), and crushing blows made him easy to notice no matter where he was on the field.

Inglis signed his first professional contract with the Melbourne Storm shortly thereafter and the rest is history. Now Inglis is considered to be the best rugby player on the planet.

Inglis' size, speed, and ability to hit have NFL teams looking at him as a linebacker. He's already received tryout offers from the Broncos, Buffalo Bills, New York Giants, and now the New York Jets are reportedly interested in him as well.

The fact that Inglis is still only 23 years old and already the best rugby player in the world have definitely helped him get noticed internationally as well.

The only true issue that Inglis has ever been a part of happened on Aug. 9, 2009, when he was charged with recklessly causing injury and unlawful assault, after he reportedly beat his former girlfriend. He was suspended indefinitely by the Storm pending the outcome of the trial.

Inglis eventually accepted a diversion order in lieu of the assault charges, and was re-instated to the Storm by the team, and the National Rugby League (NRL).

The Broncos could use some depth at linebacker, and some feel Inglis can return kicks in the NFL as well. He's physical, strong, and quick for a man his size (reported 4.6 40 speed).

Inglis has managed to win nearly every NRL award, including the Golden Boot last season, which is given to the best rugby player on the planet.

Though the Storm are now mired in controversy due to reported salary cap rorting (Australia's version of violating the salary cap), Inglis has not made it clear whether he intends to rugby next year, or attend any tryouts with NFL teams this summer.

Hopefully, the Broncos can convince him to come and play some American football,

because if Inglis can hit that way without pads, I'd love to see what he could on a football field in orange-and-blue.

UPDATE!!!! (May 25th)

Knew I'd find it somewhere. Greg Inglis is under contract by the Melbourne Storm until the end of 2012 at a salary of $500,000 a year.

$500,000......as THE BEST RUGBY PLAYER IN THE WORLD.....some of the worst players in the NFL make more money than that, no wonder he's legitimately interested in the NFL.

Minimum salary in the NFL next season is $325,000. I'm sure that anyone who signed Inglis to a contract would be happy to match the $500,000 he's being paid by the Storm.

If Inglis actually panned out in the NFL, he could stand to earn 4-10 times his annual salary with the Storm.

There's also a poll on the site with the question, Do you think Greg Inglis will play in the NFL this year? After 208 votes, 58.2% of people say yes, definitely an American site haha.

BranVan3000

Coach
I'd personally love to see him try it. As sad as it would be to see him leave our game, I would love to see an Aussie athlete succeed in the NFL arena

And if he's 4.6 already I'm sure he could markedly improve on that

Panthers_God

Juniors
Inglis rumoured to have held AFL talks

By Steve Jancetic AAP Fri, 04 Jun 2010 23:19:03

Melbourne veteran Brett Finch said the potential loss from rugby league of Storm teammate Greg Inglis would be a "massive blow" to the game amid rumours the Test star has held meetings with an AFL club.
Speculation Inglis could be the latest to abandon rugby league as part of the Storm's dismantling process spread like wildfire on Friday night, the NRL already in damage control after Israel Folau's midweek signing with new AFL franchise GWS.
While officials refused to confirm any contact between Inglis and the undisclosed AFL outfit, Finch said the NRL would be devastated if he departed as he took a shot of the limiting effect of the $4.1 million salary cap.
"It would be a massive blow - he's one of the greatest athletes the game has ever seen," Finch said of Inglis.
"He's achieved everything and he's only 23. I think he's achieved nearly everything more than once. He is a fantastic kid ... but if another place offers you four times as much, what are you going to do?
"We've got to do something about it - we can't keep sitting on our hands while we keep losing these players.
"I'm sick of hearing people say if they leave they should never be allowed back - if they don't want to play footy, if they want to go and play something else they can."
Inglis, who could not speak after copping an errant elbow to the throat in Friday night's loss to Parramatta, has already said he would be loath to play against the Storm if he was forced out with the club trying to get under the salary cap.
Finch is already resigned to leaving the club at the end of the year, claiming he has been forced to look to the English Super League due to the salary cap.
"They talk about loyalty - right now there's not many options for me and I've been loyal to this game for 12 years - does the NRL care about loyalty to me? It's only when it suits them," Finch said.
"To say to these young kids don't leave the game because the game's created them, well their game's not's helping blokes like me who are getting pushed out by the salary cap."

http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsar...-rumoured-to-have-held-afl-talks/default.aspx

Doomednow

Bench

Just read that over at nrl.com. The stuff about the cap at the end irks me. What do the players expect to happen? Destroy the competition as it is so Greg and his mates can keep hanging out in Melbourne? Maybe they deserve more, and hopefully thats getting fixed. But these kind of comments don't help anyone and only encourage the stars to leave, acting as if the game hates them. Geez.

Latest posts