What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Injury outs Johns again

Alex28

Coach
CWBush said:
Didn't see much of the 2004 season? We may not have made the eight, but we won our fair share of games without Joey. Sure, we had Kennedy to inspire things - but it seems people are quick to forget that we played near an entire season without Johns and ended up one win short of a finals berth.
Didn't see ANY of 2005 Chris?

Compare apples with apples mate. We don't have a replacement for Ben Kennedy (and the hack we did get was injured all season), we had no leadership, we had no direction, we got close in some games but lacked any killer instinct. We got absolutely flogged in others and we couldn't win until Johns came back.

This year we have virtually the same line up as last year, only we have a Great Britain rep with us now, and low and behold we had EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM. We didn't ever look like we were close to winning the Warriors match, and the Storm are a much much better team than them - plus we'll be away from home.

I'm not saying don't be positive. I'm just saying be realistic. Debate this topic all you want - all the signs point to us not winning without Johns this year.

strewth_mate

Bench
I suppose I'll use our semi-final loss to the Roosters back in 2002. The buildup to the game was a focus on the Knights muscling up and bashing the Roosters like the 'good old days'. Seemed all the team was very fired up about the game and incredibly eager to get the monkey off the back. We were competitive for 60 minutes before we were opened up, but it partly goes to show that the desire to dissolve the reputation is good for the attitute leading into the game.

When we lost there would no doubt have been the familiar John-less failure result floating in their minds, and it's most likely to be a factor that sticks in their minds and makes them question their ability, but when it comes to game time I imagine for some it gives them a sense of purpose enough that they forget their past results.

roopy

Referee
If Johns is out next week we need to bring Seage into fullback and have Milty at 5/8.
Thaiday has always been a 5/8 in League - we turned him into a fair fullback - but he would be the spark we need in the halves if Johns is out.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'm not saying don't be positive. I'm just saying be realistic. Debate this topic all you want - all the signs point to us not winning without Johns this year.

All the signs being the one game we've seen them play in his absence? Hardly definitive. Having Johns pull out the day of the game isn't exactly an ideal preparation.

Alex28

Coach
Fine then Chris - use one of the 7 or 8 last year where we didn't win without him. Either way...

Knightmare

Coach
If Johns isn't 100% they should start him from the bench- hopefully the 13 playing out on the field will get it started, compete with the Storm and then bring Joey out later in the game to (hopefully) apply the finishing touches. As for playing Souths without Johns, I'm not worried. Souths are playing so poorly they couldn't beat Knights Premier League, and last year when Souths beat Newcastle Joey was playing his arse off but the boys around him didn't lift. If the rest of the team lifts, they can get the job done.

Frederick

Staff member
If Johns isn't 100%, then he shouldn't be playing fullstop. If missing one or two games at this end of the season means he'll be fit and firing when it matters at the other end, then I say give him a gen. admin ticket and let him enjoy the game from the sidelines.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Fine then Chris - use one of the 7 or 8 last year where we didn't win without him. Either way...

But I thought you wanted to compare apples to apples, mate? Last year we had a lot more people out than just Johns and an atrocious support system.

Roy

Juniors
roopy said:
If Johns is out next week we need to bring Seage into fullback and have Milty at 5/8.
Thaiday has always been a 5/8 in League - we turned him into a fair fullback - but he would be the spark we need in the halves if Johns is out.

agreed an move mullen to half an kids to lock

knights9

Juniors
Heres an article i found aboutn he's injury.

Knights' Johns out with torn ligament

Monday, April 17, 2006 - 11:47 AM

Newcastle captain Andrew Johns has been diagnosed with a torn ankle ligament and will be sidelined for one to two weeks.
Johns rolled the ankle during Sunday's 18-16 loss to North Queensland in their top of the table NRL clash and learnt on Monday that he'll miss Saturday night's clash with Melbourne and possibly also the following the week's clash with South Sydney.
"I've torn a ligament in the ankle and have been told I could miss up to two games, but hopefully it might only be one," Johns said.
Johns is keeping positive, and still looking to make a farewell Test appearance against the Kiwis in Brisbane on May 5.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Christ, I wish we had Souths first and then had the chance he'll play against Melbourne. We'll lose next week. Melbourne at home are no easy ask, and they ravaged Penrith on the weekend.

antonius

Coach
CWBush said:
Christ, I wish we had Souths first and then had the chance he'll play against Melbourne. We'll lose next week. Melbourne at home are no easy ask, and they ravaged Penrith on the weekend.
On our recent form without Johns Souths are no gimme either. The quote about him still looking to make a farewell test appearance seems to fly in the face of his recent sentiments about putting the club and a premiership first in his priorities

Alex28

Coach
CWBush said:
But I thought you wanted to compare apples to apples, mate? Last year we had a lot more people out than just Johns and an atrocious support system.
Well "mate", it will look even worse when we continue to lose without him this year. None of the players that were out last year had any leadership skills at all (like BK did in 2004). None of them can take control of the game and dictate how the game is played. We have a bunch of followers and no leaders.

That hasn't changed this year - we still look lost without him.

Alex28

Coach
That is exactly what I am saying. Clint is becoming a good player but does he do anything to inspire and fire up the forwards like BK did? Absolutely not.

Buderus is half the player without Johns around him. He tends to look a little bit lost (just like Kidley does) when Joey isn't out there dictating terms. Last year we continuously got steamrolled and our rep players - the ones that needed to stand up and be counted at such a time - had nothing in return. He is absolutely a follower.

But thats all they are allowed to do while Johns is on the field...

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Well isn't it about time the boys got over the whole "Can't win without Joey" syndrome and move on? He's not going to be there forever, or when he does retire are they all going to feel sorry for themselves in the 4-5 years after that happens?

Sounds harsh I know, but its time we moved on. Its time we developed a game plan which is a no frills, boring type style like the Raiders have. If we keep it simple and defend like our lives depend on it, there is absolutely no reason why we can't win without Joey, starting this week.