What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

International Comp?

Titanic

First Grade
As much as I would love to see more depth in international League and some of the ideas being thrown around are great - the fact is that the "emerging nations" have been emerging for years and they are generally only novelty value - with all due respect to the island nations Fox or News are never going to ride on the back of a wave of emotion for a rampant PNG or Samoa, etc.

Also the argument about the disparity between the NRL and ESL should be taken in context. The Rhino's should Mediterranean Descendant the Rabbitohs, 1st against 8th, which in fact is what happened in the 2007 finals. Full marks to PHAC taking his team into reef-riddled territory against a better credentialled opposition.

ali

Bench
Pierced Soul said:
not feasible due to costs and lack of fan interest. when superleague tried this when both comps were in sync the aussie teams killed the poms. it was like watching a first grade team play a D grade park team. whilst the poms will argue they've improved and point to the world club trial results as evidence of their improvement it would just be a massacre and a waste of time

It would be very even these days. Euro Super League has improved out of sight, whilst the NRL has maybe deteriorated a little in the last couple of years. A comp similar to Super League's World Club Challenge would be brilliant to see again. Give the fans some variety, I don't want to see the same old every year. I'd hold a Super League style WCC mid season every 4 years.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I think that in the right conditions and not a one off contest the NRL teams would rise to the top.

I like the idea but maybe have the top 2 of each comp and play a short round robin and a final.

UK1 v NRL1 - in Aus (Suncorp for Qld team/Homebush for NSW/Telstra Dome for Melbourne etc)
UK2 v NRL2 - in UK

UK1 v NRL2 - in UK
NRL1 v UK2 - in Aus

Top 2 play final in UK at Wembley

UK1 and NRL1 get a bonus point in the table so it gives the advantage to the current premiers and less chance of an all NRL or all UK final

maple_69

Bench
Only way this might be feasible as I see it, is if we continue expanding the NRL and split into divisions to shorten the season. But I don't like that system. I think a realistic change to the WCC would simply be a return leg. Same as football world cup qualifiers.

Another idea could be a "League Cup" which they also have in football and the ESL. None of this fits into the 26 round + finals thing we have atm, but the idea that your team might be running last in the comp but still can win a cup is nice.