What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

International footy is back

nqboy

First Grade
That was as good as any Origin I've seen.

Congratulations to the Kiwis. Their courage and passion through all their injuries was unbelievable. They did not deserve to lose but there can be only one and tonight it was the Aussies.

It's funny. As the minutes counted down, the commentary team were assuring each other that Ol' Golden Boot would settle it and certainly we live with the expectation that we will win the tight ones, either through him or some other's piece of individual brilliance. It doesn't always happen but often enough for us to expect it.

But tonight, there was no certainty. New Zealand just kept turning up in defence and challenging the Aussies in attack with only dropped passes from the likes of Vatuvei and Soliola preventing them scoring what looked likely match-winning tries.

Ya gotta love it.

Moffo

Referee
not far off hey? what a cracker...the only other recent game that stacks up was dogs v eels in '98

100%green

Juniors
As a Raiders fan I can say, Thank God the season is over. That was an awesome game but I can't handle any more Golden Point games! What I am looking forward to is a Kiwi side with a fit SBW and Benji Marshall. International Rugby League in 2007/08 will be great. And with France hopefully gaining admission into the end of season comp there will be a lot to look forward to. Now if only we can get rid of Colin Love.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Colin Love? what did he do?

We need to get rid of every newpaper sub editor or TV programming exec that puts any other sport ahead of the Tri Nations. Nothing in the cricket, horseracing basketball or domestic soccer has anything on tonight.

Kiwis were awesome - Wiki is one of the all time greats. But we were a shade better, even if cutie and Inglis were next to useless.

Best game I have seen in years.

nqboy

First Grade
100%green said:
What I am looking forward to is a Kiwi side with a fit SBW and Benji Marshall.
Don't hang by your nuts waiting.

I'd really like to see that too but I'm less confident about my chances of doing so.

Hindmarshfan

Juniors
all i can say is,,,,,,,,,,

THANK GOD NZ made the final! we would never have seen a tough, torrid originlike game such as that if GB made the final.

congrats To Roos for scraping home, but also a huge congrats to the great Ruben Wiki ,Brian Mclennan and their Kiwis, they surely didnt deserve to lose. Australia just know how to get home in the tight ones when it counts.

100%green

Juniors
Colin Love? what did he do?

I don't think he can be the head of the international body and the ARL at the same time. Not to take away from tonight because I think tonight was the greatest add for our game and International RL, but some of the events in this series in particular the "Grannygate" farce need to be ruled and governed by a true impartial International body. Not just the Aussies, Kiwis and Poms Governing themselves. Plus the comments he made at the start of the series when referring to Channel Nine's delayed coverage of the first game was a joke. his words were "Of course we would like Channel Nine to air the game live, but we can't expect them to change their line up just for us." Not good. This Tri-Nations has given us a great chance to really push International RL to the next level. With the World Cup only a Year and a half away, the possibility of France joining the end of season comp and Emerging Nations working hard to establish themselves this is the time we need the right people in charge to get the sport admitted to GASIF ( I think it's called? ) and move League into the same class as other world sports. And Colin Love is not the man to do that.

Neatoboy

Juniors
Last night I saw more pride and passion from both the Aussies and NZ then I've ever seen before. Even though the crowd was pitiful, there was a lot of pride and passion in the crowd too... I hope this will build future Sydney international crowds.

I actually felt sorry for the Kiwis as Jones didn't kick well last night and that lost them the game in the end.

TrevorAllan

Juniors
It was disappointing that the game was not a sell out....But nevertheless, the guys who played 87 mins, and everyone else in the stadium will remember it forever....and loads of people watching on TV.

Wheras the 64000 who turned up for the Wallabies vs England RU game in June.........its already forgotten....completely forgetten...a meaningless farce....

The pendulem is swinging.................

ozbash

Referee
great way for the season to end and top efforts from both sides.

makes the off season seem that little bit longer when you finish off with a game like that.

Blaze

Juniors
International league still has a long way to go. All this season proved was how much of an achievement it was for the kiwis to win it last year.

It has pretty much been par for the course since then with the kiwis losing all 4 matches between the two sides.

For International league to be 'back' New Zealand actually have to beat Australia... not just lose close games again and again.

Watching these close games I always get the feeling that only one side is able to lift and produce a special play to win the match...

For International league to be 'back' NZ needs to be winning at least 1 in 3 imo...

Micistm

Bench
Wow. That was one on the most intense epic games I've seen in a long time. I was just shattered after it. In the pub I was watching it in I have never seen such a reaction from a crowd. No bad sportsmanship...shattered silence for a couple of minutes after the game, but huge respect for both sides.
Congrats to the Aussies (That hurts!)...when all is said and done their class just came through to ping us in the end.
But no complaints- I'm so proud to be a Kiwi supporter, and with the fight and determination shown through the series when off field B.S threatened to bog them down, to the injury tally in the final...but they kept on and kept on. The field goals attempts from both sides to break it...man both teams had their chances, but I think in the end the Aussies deserved to ping us, despite from our point of view how cruel it seems.
Take a bow both teams...That game has done international league the world of good.
Sad to see those legends of the Kiwis retiring...but despite the loss they should be damn proud to have such an epic for their swansong.

aussies1st

Staff member
Ending was an absolute thriller, really good way to end the season. It's getting there NZ is definitely competitive but GB has a way to go still.

Kornstar

Coach
Blaze said:
International league still has a long way to go. All this season proved was how much of an achievement it was for the kiwis to win it last year.

It has pretty much been par for the course since then with the kiwis losing all 4 matches between the two sides.

For International league to be 'back' New Zealand actually have to beat Australia... not just lose close games again and again.

Watching these close games I always get the feeling that only one side is able to lift and produce a special play to win the match...

For International league to be 'back' NZ needs to be winning at least 1 in 3 imo...

I thought the Kiwi's beat us last year? I must have been dreaming at around 7am last year on that Sunday morning.......i guess it was pretty early for us here in Australia hey?

It may not be "back" but it certainly is on it's way.

Just one last thing, i am ashamed to be a sydney sider, i was at the game and i am appalled at the crowd, especially when this game was gauranteed to be great.......everyone in the crowd loved it, where i was sitting for the last 5 minutes of regular time and the 7 minutes of extra time, we were all standing up and riding every second and the emotion was awesome, better atmosphere than the GF this year, and there triple the people at the GF!!!!

Latest posts