What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inu vs Nielson.

ozbash

Referee
How good is Des ?

The Dogs have gone from tryhards last year to the best team in the comp this year.

And I dont put that down to Inu either.

Why couldnt he play like that for us ?

TheDMC

Bench
How good is Des ?

The Dogs have gone from tryhards last year to the best team in the comp this year.

And I dont put that down to Inu either.

Why couldnt he play like that for us ?

Probably because he was never in the team...

Micistm

Bench
Probably because he was never in the team...

Yep, never played like that as for the most part he was never given the chance. Bought in as a last resort to cover injuries, expected to cover anywhere at the back and be faultless. Never got the same courtesy as others who could make mistakes and retain their spots.
That said, he's doing well in his new club and good luck to him. Our loss, big time.

TheDMC

Bench
Yep, never played like that as for the most part he was never given the chance. Bought in as a last resort to cover injuries, expected to cover anywhere at the back and be faultless. Never got the same courtesy as others who could make mistakes and retain their spots.
That said, he's doing well in his new club and good luck to him. Our loss, big time.

Yes, I'm loving seeing him do well for the doggies (no homo). And with their big number of kiwi players plus great style of footy, dogs are my new number 2 team...

MKEB...

Staff member
I did not see this game... were they opportunist tries? Or tries that he had to do the work?

ozbash

Referee
One was a good effort, the other was a gimme.

He played very well though. Nielsen seems to be one of those "in the wings" type of player..

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
You answered your last line with the 1st line of your post

Des is a quality coach that puts confidence in his players. He wasn't getting that at the warriors

TheDMC

Bench
I did not see this game... were they opportunist tries? Or tries that he had to do the work?

I only saw one, and it was a pretty amazing leap catching it afl style way above his head and against two storm players. Pretty sensational really. Think the other one was just a 2 on 1 draw and pass and easy finish.

Hmm, Inu or Duffie for best in the air?

Iafeta

Referee
Definitely not Neilsen. He's a nuffie. He'd have to be a very high candidate for most overrated player in the comp, and certainly in the top 3 for luckiest players to play Origin in the past 15 years. I just don't rate the guy and would be very disappointed if we forked out anything more than semi-decent money to get him.

FTR, I would have backed Inu 110 times out of 100 against Neilsen, I would have him in my squad anyday of the week (this is of course before the "I was only there for the money" media comment which leaves a sour taste). I could never get over the fact the bloke could not get a gig in the centres at our club when we were always short of a centre. I guess this is why the likes of Des Hasler are in the elite strata of coaches and Daniel Anderson, Ivan Cleary and Brian McClennan are not... they know how to take a dude with a bad attitude, look at his prodigious talent, tap into his head and switch him on deliver on his potential. I expected McClennan, given how much they talk up his people management skills to be able to do this. He had no idea what to do with him and it seems to me the club became frustrated more with their own inability to manage him and gave up cold. It irks me as a sick joke to see Inu destroying other mobs at the Dogs (destroying Neilsen today is very ironic), was his on field really that bad that he continually found himself in the Vulcans? His try scoring record for the Warriors suggests he was in fact quite useful and quite dangerous.

Last edited:

Rich102

Staff member
I understood one of todays commentators to say they saw Inu in the Vulcans and he looked very ordinary. Nothing like he showed today. So I guess Ricky Henry must be added to the list that didn't understand him.

I recall him (Inu) at Whangarei appearing totally disinterested.

Having said that the club had proof that he could play. They just didn't have the means to unlock his talent or, to put it bluntly, make him want to play.

Warriors loss.

JoeD

First Grade
From the highlights his other try today was just a catch and run to the line but it looked like he showed good speed to do it, something that he allegedly didn't have here.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Hmmm, thats strange. Just Inu ?

If we look at the Warriors, how many guys in that team can you say have come on hugely under Bluey ? Not many, if any as scribe would say

Now compare that to how many of the Dogs guys games have come on hugely, it isn't any coincedence

That isn't a huge swipe at Bluey either, but the thing that separate the great coaches from the good coaches is the ability to get the best out of all types of players.

JoeD

First Grade
I don't really know what to make of Bluey. Is he the Fisiasi or Skippy Sinclair of rugby league coaches, or does he just need more time? If anything I expected his 'style' or at least the public's perception of his style meant he would be more effective at the beginning and then taper off.

Latest posts