What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is 2023 the year?

Craigshark

First Grade
We came second and were a couple of Valentine holmes dives away and shit refereeing calls which we didn’t hear a peep about from a preliminary final.

I’ve made my thoughts on what I think we need to improve on pretty clear in the other threads, Kennedy, mobile forward etc.

Rudolf improved a lot this year, but I don’t think he is the mean intimidator we want leading our pack. I’m not sold on Klemmer, but who else is there? Can we get JWH? Hunt has the size but seems to lack that type of agro aggression. Finucane I still think is worth every cent. He didn’t finish the year well but probably wouldn’t have been playing if it wasn’t september. Uele is frustrating, has all the talent in the world and some weeks looks absolutely unstoppable, then the week after looks like a lazy plodder. Talakai moving back to the forwards will hopefully resolve some of our lack of punch issues. I’m not sold on Hazelton. He looked ok, not sure if he’ll ever be a regular first grader though.

I seriously think we should look at Fifita, if not for next year the year after. Has x-factor and is wasted at that shit team on the Gold Coast. Wouldn’t pay him 1.2 million though, so if he wants that he can go run around for the dolphins and probably never play origin again.

On top of that, I think we need to find from within or outside a couple of better back up outside backs. Ikuvalu is done for a bit I think. Stonestreet? Iro could potentially start in the centres? Tracey got found out big time in the finals. He gives 110% but isn’t a master of any position. Miller is a fullback only.

I didn’t mind the style we played, but the mistakes did become extremely frustrating and against the better teams, we got found out and couldn’t defend back to back sets. I agree with others that, Hynes is all we seemed to have in attack, especially against Souths and they had worked that out and shut him down. He looked panicked in the early stages of that game but he’ll be better for it. Brailey has become a tackling machine, but that’s all. He needs to step up everything attack wise and if he pokes his nose through he needs to find the confidence to just run. Kennedy provides no threat besides his sweep play. I like moylan, but will he be any better next year then what he was this year?

there’s little things we still do, which seem like only things we do, but that’s probably more because I don’t pay as much attention to other teams. For example, Ramiens silly errors, mistakes, bombed tries and penalties; when we’re 12 down in a final with 20 mins to go and we are standing at the scrum but not packing it to get the clock stopped; not being able to put up a proper spiral bomb; no one seemingly being switched on to the fact holmes was going to go for field goal.. they all seemed to race towards Chad.. seriously, Chad can’t kick it 15 metres let alone 45, they should have known this; still allowing games to go down to the wire that we should have well and truly put away.. there’s heaps of others, but you get my point.

fitzy still has a fair bit of work to do, it was always going to be a huge mission to fix everything in one season. He has done a great job so far and I hope he continue to do so. I’d like to see the club become ruthless next year and let him rip in. Not every week, but when the time is right. I appreciate and admire the fact he doesn’t whinge and takes full responsibility. But there were extremely questionable calls in that cowboys game that should have been called out. It wouldn’t have changed that result, but we’ve all seen what it’s done for the cowboys since payten had his say.

Omnishark2

Juniors
I agree with a lot of the takes on here.
We overachieved to finish in 2nd spot, but unfortunately we didn't have the extra gears and composure when the finals pressure was on.

I felt sorry for Fitz after the Souths game, he was shattered in that press conference. He was such a whole-hearted player himself, I think he couldn't believe how most of our team didn't play their best when it mattered. But we can learn from this.

Firstly the middles - I agree we need another prop - I would go after Spencer Leniu. Would come much cheaper than the other suspects, and would have more impact IMHO. Got a bit of mongrel in him too. BHU has gone backwards compared to 18 months ago, we desperately need him to fire up next year and have better luck with injury.

Nicho - he's done lots of great things, and lots of ordinary things. He needs to improve his composure and be more selective, the number of times he runs around like a chook with his head chopped off drives me mad. His long kicking need more work, and he has suffered from being the only main kicker. But he'll keep improving, and he's been a fantastic buy at $600k.

Trindall - time to cut our losses, he's never going to be a consistent first grader. We need a backup organising half that can kick, and sorry Brayden ain't it.

Ramien - I've run out of patience with Jessie too. The brain explosions & dumb, dumb plays are just too costly. For the money he is on we can do better. I'd be chasing the Hammer - biggish body, blinding speed, more X-factor, OK defender (grabs a bit), and just a bigger all round threat.

Wade - we all know the story, we shouldn't give him another year, but we will. Our best games this year were with Teig starting. The evidence is overwhelming that Wade is done, but it's a tricky one to manage the necessary transition.

Kennedy - everyone has said it all already. I love WK's silky hands & attacking skills when they come off - but his debit column is mounting up.

Overall, I reckon we'll finish around the middle of the 8 next year.

2024 will be our best shot - Fitzy's hard edge will have fully sunk in, Wade will hopefully have moved on, Dykes will hopefully be a regular first grader that can produce under presure, and hopefully we'll have a better backup half option than Trindall & a harder edge in the middle. Onwards & upwards !!!

Weaponhead

Coach
Fitz will be burning from the finals performances. It will piss him off no end that the team didn't get it done at home against the Cows and fired no shots against Souths. There is still some Cronulla 'near enough is good enough' rust to cut out. However, a fifth place finish is a good overall result in context of recent seasons and something to build on.

What is needed to go further?
More aggression and dominance in the pack. No secret that the pack, lacks a bit of size and punch. The small ball game can work if they can up the tempo from a stronger base. However, big offloading packs were not contained well (Canberra, Easts, Souths in the final). Spine needs more patience and composure.

Middles
Toby has improved but still has concentration errors that hurt. Hope he can take the next step.
BHU shows signs of kicking on then regresses with lack of focus. He has the physical tools to be a dominant prop but not sure he has the belief. I have always thought he was better suited to a 35 minute impact bench role.
Hunt took a step forward but like BHU, does he have the belief and desire to be a top NRL middle.
Dale brought the professionalism and passion but the wear and tear started showing. He needs to be managed so he can fire later in the season.
McInnes did what we hoped he would do, bring energy and consistency.

Edge
Nikora was pretty good. He was consistent and knows his game.
Wade just isn't anywhere near what he was. The left edge was less effective when he played (very sad to say that as he was a gun). Wilton showed good signs in the first half of the year, alarming signs in the second half.

Emerging Players
JC looked a strong player with upside. He will take time to make an impact at NRL level. he runs behind the ruck well and has good leg drive. I am not sure Hazelton has the agility to be a quality NRL middle.

Signings
Kaufusi will be a good addition. He is an honest toiler who will get better as he becomes more assertive. The team needs a strong middle who will demand respect. Not many of those around.

Spine
Hynes was very good for a first year 7. He has areas of improvement - long kicking and composure/patience etc but brought a lot to the team. Liked his willingness to take responsibility and how disappointed he was when we/he played poorly. Defence improved significantly as the season wore on.
Moylan showed a lot more this season and complemented Hynes.
Brailey needs to back himself more and showcase his skills. Great durability but we need to see the spark as well.
Trindall is a bit of an enigma. I am a supporter and have seen that at his best he can be a quality NRL half. I reckon he is worth persisting with.
Kennedy - the good is very good and the bad is very bad. Don't know that he has the ruthlessness needed to push himself to improve his weaknesses in defence.

Outside backs
Ronnie and Katoa did well. Strong finishers who make yards.
Jesse has talent but poor judgement. If he can improve that he can be a weapon.
Talakai has a great season but in the latter games his role became battering ram. Didn't get enough good early ball to show his skills.
Squad players - Ikuvalu is a quality number 3 winger. Miller has glimpses of talent. Connor tries hard but doesn't have the class.

How will the team improve
Not likely to be a major signing, the improvement will come from developing the existing players. Need a few to have breakout years. Hopefully, Dykes is one to put pressure on Kennedy. Need more from Brailey. Would love to see BHU reach his potential.
From a mindset perspective, focus and ruthlessness need to get to a higher level. Too much 'that's just how we play' as an excuse for errors.
Composure and patience need to improve in bigger games.
More players getting rep level experience will be good for development.

Top 4 is the goal again. I don't think we have the cattle in 2023 to be a genuine contender. Some of the stronger teams are losing players so may drop back a bit.

Eion

First Grade
We’re not far off. Main concern for me is the stagnation of BB. He needs to grow in the role for us to be a 2023 threat.

txta2

Bench
Yep a lot of injury prone players in the forwards. They have 1 good game, then they are out or go soft. And I agree with Weapon, Wilton was useless and not up to 1st grade standard

carinashark

First Grade
Next season we will see a rebuilt Storm that will tear teams apart. Plus’s Panthers, Eels , Cowboys and maybe South’s.
The deficiency‘s that we have will not be fixed by the start of next season. I agree strongly with your take on BB. He has so much more in him that needs to be unlocked.
We need to bring in new players to take over from Moylan and Kennedy. Dykes is not a full back , he needs to be right in the action Up front where he can make a difference.
Talakai I would like to see stay at center. He has a big strong body, a nice soft pass and a deft grubber kick. Too valuable to be in the second row.
Start Looking for a FB now . My ideal is a big body with safe hands , a hard runner who breaks tackles. Is Iro big enough or do we keep him at center.
I think Fitz has a lot to do to keep us above the middle in next years comp.

DJDL

Bench
Yep a lot of injury prone players in the forwards. They have 1 good game, then they are out or go soft. And I agree with Weapon, Wilton was useless and not up to 1st grade standard

Teig was a revelation in the early rounds.
Then Wade came back.

After that Fitz failed to find a game plan to get the best out of him, and the left edge was nowhere near as effective as it had been.

Surely Teig starts next year and Wade, if he's around, spends the year getting splinters.

Frenzy.

Immortal
I don't see the gameplay changing much unless the sharks can find a lunatic prop who takes the team forward and takes no shit. Then some hard work has to be put in by Hazelton, Colquhoun, Pele, Uele junior and the other emerging props. To be frank, I didn't see much aggro in any of them throughout the year. I think Colquhoun can be a Carrigan type player for The Sharks when he gets his confidence, skills and assertiveness levels up but that is probably 50 games away at least.
Goooorrrrrnnneee

SadShark

Bench
So if I got the whole 2022 synopsis right, we:
- overachieved (which is, phieeeew, such a massive consolation and relief).
- need to rely on other top teams getting much weaker and hope that the plonkers that dished us up the finals football equivalent of old man, saggy ball sweat, dripping onto our tongues, will improve somehow.

Oh 2016, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways, as at this time of year, I again sit and watch other finals teams, play like they’re not pant wettingly fearful of the big, bad, nasty and mean men in the other team’s colours, running at them with vigour, skill and unbridled passion.
So Cronulla. FML. FMD

Omnishark2

Juniors
Firstly the middles - I agree we need another prop - I would go after Spencer Leniu. Would come much cheaper than the other suspects, and would have more impact IMHO. Got a bit of mongrel in him too. BHU has gone backwards compared to 18 months ago, we desperately need him to fire up next year and have better luck with injury.

Bump .... Leniu was excellent for the Riff tonight, great impact off the bench.

Forget paying overs for Klemmer, Tapau etc ... let's go after Leniu !!

Tiger Shark

Bench
Next season we will see a rebuilt Storm that will tear teams apart. Plus’s Panthers, Eels , Cowboys and maybe South’s.
The deficiency‘s that we have will not be fixed by the start of next season. I agree strongly with your take on BB. He has so much more in him that needs to be unlocked.
We need to bring in new players to take over from Moylan and Kennedy. Dykes is not a full back , he needs to be right in the action Up front where he can make a difference.
Talakai I would like to see stay at center. He has a big strong body, a nice soft pass and a deft grubber kick. Too valuable to be in the second row.
Start Looking for a FB now . My ideal is a big body with safe hands , a hard runner who breaks tackles. Is Iro big enough or do we keep him at center.
I think Fitz has a lot to do to keep us above the middle in next years comp.

Storm will team teams apart ? Not so sure about that, they've lost a fair few players this year. Granted they've still got some excellent players but think it's a bit presumptuous to think they'll be tearing teams apart.

And also bad take on Dykes, he is absolutely a full back. Has been a full back all his juniors, so no need to start looking for a FB - we have it. Will he move to 5/8th - yeah maybe one day but he's not ready for that. His speed and support play around the middle will make him a really good attacking weapon at FB. Also being pretty young I think it's better physicallly he start at fullback.

We also have Siteni Taukamo, very very promising junior the club has locked up till 2025 or something. Should be playing Flegg next year and will join the full time squad this year. That's not to say he has what it takes but the club has two very legit options outside Kennedy before they start looking outside - unless a no brainer option becomes available then you'd be silly not to look at it.

We might see Dykes move to 5/8th in a few years and Taukamo goes to Fullback but defn getting ahead of myself there.

Let's talk 2023

TLDR: 2023 will see us competing for top 6 imo, injuries and how players improve from this year will determine if Top 4 is an option. I hope our finals exit will create some more steel and hunger in the squad, motivate them to do better in the finals. I think the squad is just missing a strike player or two, which we may not see till 2024. I hope we're busy Nov 1.

I think everyone, including me is finding it hard it seperate our finals series with our regular series and yeah you shouldn't in some ways but I think also you need to do it too. To get in a position like we were this year we need a good regular series.

Is 2023 our year, hmm, I think we'll have another good year but can't speak on if it's "our year" think we're still just missing something, whether it's fixing our left, more X factor in the back or in the forwards. A big bastard of a prop to be our enforcer.

There's a few things I think that will ensure we still have a good year.

Defense - yeah yeah I know we choked in the finals, but we had the 3rd best D in the comp, would have been second if we didn't let in a few soft tries to the Knights. That won't change, in fact I expect our defence to get better now the team has had a second off season to learn the systems, make tweaks etc.

As long as Fitz is at the Sharks we'll always be a top 4 or there abouts defensive team imo. That alone puts us top 6 . It's no coincidence the top 4 defensive teams were the top 4 teams, go back and see how top defensive teams fair. They rarely have bad years.

Squad - It does need a few tweaks but it's pretty much the same squad as this year plus Kaufusi who will be good, and a fit Williams who was our best forward in 2021. Consistency is key to be successful.

It definitely is missing something dont get me wrong. I think Iro should go to left centre and Talakai moves to edge but if we keep Graham then with Tieg also it is getting a bit crowded, so maybe Talakai stays at centre another year, and with a full off season will be even better for it. I do feel Iro is next man up in regards to our centres though, no more Tracey please. Maybe even next man up on the wing as I dont think Ika will be ready Rd 1, atleast not the early rounds.

I would be shocked if Kennedy isn't our Rd 1 fullback but really hope Dykes is a legit option if he has a big off season. I regret that we didn't get a larger sample size of Dykes in First grade, would have been nice to see more of him.

Moylan and Brailey - Need more from both. Brailey improved from last year, so similar improvement will see him be very good imo. His stats has him up there with alot of the other hookers but needs to get involved more.

Props we need more from Uele and Hunt. Especially Uele, his form pre injury was great, then took a while to get going. He has all the attributes but just needs to realise how good he can be. I hope we're looking for an upgrade for 2024. Spencer Leinu could be good.

Hynes - First year at halfback, had an amazing year and feel he'll only get better with the experience, smarter with his game management, better with kicking choices. He already improved defensively as he got used to be up front. Goal kicking improved to 85% second half of the year so ideally he brings that to the whole regular season.

Also need to look at how the rest of the competition will be too, some teams will be weaker, some stronger.

Penrith - defn weaker with no Api and Kikau but will be top 4 with their defence. Even with no Ciraldo they'll maintain their systems.
Eels - much weaker, they need to win it this year. Wont be a Top 6 threat.
Cowboys, Souths should be similar to this year.
Roosters maybe better but not sure on Smith as a full time hooker, too good of a squad to not be up there.
Storm - there abouts but lost some serious forward experience.
Raiders - meh
Eagles - No Foran, lot of pressure on DCE. Hooker is average.

coolumsharkie

Referee
Top 4 is the goal again.

Hope this doesn't become the nemesis for his turn at the helm. He has to live up to coming 2nd, so the pressure will be there.

Kafusi is the only action so far, not a great deal of talk anywhere else, cards close to the chest or no one???... Maybe he has invested in the program Flanno created?

Tiger Shark

Bench
Hope this doesn't become the nemesis for his turn at the helm. He has to live up to coming 2nd, so the pressure will be there.

Kafusi is the only action so far, not a great deal of talk anywhere else, cards close to the chest or no one???... Maybe he has invested in the program Flanno created?
Maybe looking more at 24, haven’t got too many spots to fill for next year do we

firstly love the formatting of this

What is needed to go further?

big mean middles obviously. the hooker to show more variety. a fullback who can make a covering tackle. less (i would prefer zero) wade graham. better game management by the coach (rotation) and players (at times frantic)

Middles

Tobes was good but has an error. IMO he is always left on too long. He either needs to up his cardio and fitness or play less minutes. i think the latter.
BHU. This guy could be huge but theres just...something..missing somehow. needs the fire lit under him.
Hunt. Got another year. let see how he goes. has the potential to be a monster with his size.
Dale. great leader. obviously the ribs were bad. did slow down as the season went.
Mcinness. Did his role. never stops and has that quick play the ball.
Williams. Got hurt. never got going
Hazelton. young. unsure if he's a first grade talent.

Edge
Nikora doesnt do enough work for mine. has to up his carries and yardage. runs a nice line. cool, do more mate.

Wade Graham sucks now and should retire. our attack actively went backwards for a while when he came back. has no impact on runs. makes too many errors. pack it up.

Wilton was much better when he was starting. IMO we hurt the way he an the rest of the team was playing. wasnt the same as a bench player has heaps potential. loves to drop a hospital pass.

Emerging Players
The hoon looks good. unsure on tommy and his one game.
Miller and Dykes looked good in flashes.

Signings
Kaufusi is a great pick up does good work with parra. now has grand final experience.
we need another middle and other options.

Spine
Hynes was great i thought. had a few games to work things out but overall a great buy. he will only improve. could be the star we have always longed for in the halves.

Moylan had his best year as a shark really complimented hynes. does need to work on kicking the ball past his shadow.

Brailey makes a million tackles. ok, he's a tiny bloke of course teams will run at him. service is below average as is his selection in good ball. merkin loves a crashball. would it kill this man to run the football?i am underwhelmed but theres not heaps replacements so. whatever.

Kennedy - Kennedy has reached his ceiling in my view with this team. runs in treacle. cant make a covering tackle. has great hands sometimes. we need to look else where or develop dykes/miller if we want to kick on. looks like a THE dolphin.

Outside backs
Ronnie and Katoa were both excellent. Ronny is a star. Katoa was sorely missed late in the season. both on pace to crack the sharks top 10 try scorers next season.

Jesse is a weapon bit is also a bonehead. we dont use him well enough IMO. needs early ball. is a bonehead.

Talakai was great until we brought wade graham back to cramp the left side. regardless he had a great year makes so many meters. does great work in yardage and is a genuine weapon. coule he take the 2nd row spot and have iro as a centre? who knows.

Squad players - Ikuvalu stepped on a landmine and wont be seen in 2023. Miller is fast and more physical than kennedy. not a winger though. Dykes is obviously earmarked.
Connor Tracey is not a first choice player at any position. all heart....unsure where he fits. if he's 10% better we are in the prelim.
trindall. dunno man. reserve half...may get a shot in 2023 what are the odds moylan plays 2 injury free seasons ?
if he was gonna crack through he would have done so by now.

How will the team improve

another year will see nicho improve even more which is exciting.
we need a big leap from BHU or Hunt into the calibre of a Tatola etc. also jack williams is back so he could play a role. we need more grunt upfront.
back rowers need to do more.
IMO we should have bought vaughan who would have been cheap and offers more than tolman or fifita did in that role.
we need a hooker because berrell isn't really a hooker and having a bloke with zero competition for his spot isnt good.
fitzgibbon made some errors through the year on his rotations and selections. hopefully he looks at that in the offseason but will improve. players love him.

Last edited:

shaggs

Coach
Storm will team teams apart ? Not so sure about that, they've lost a fair few players this year. Granted they've still got some excellent players but think it's a bit presumptuous to think they'll be tearing teams apart.

And also bad take on Dykes, he is absolutely a full back. Has been a full back all his juniors, so no need to start looking for a FB - we have it. Will he move to 5/8th - yeah maybe one day but he's not ready for that. His speed and support play around the middle will make him a really good attacking weapon at FB. Also being pretty young I think it's better physicallly he start at fullback.

We also have Siteni Taukamo, very very promising junior the club has locked up till 2025 or something. Should be playing Flegg next year and will join the full time squad this year. That's not to say he has what it takes but the club has two very legit options outside Kennedy before they start looking outside - unless a no brainer option becomes available then you'd be silly not to look at it.

We might see Dykes move to 5/8th in a few years and Taukamo goes to Fullback but defn getting ahead of myself there.

Let's talk 2023

TLDR: 2023 will see us competing for top 6 imo, injuries and how players improve from this year will determine if Top 4 is an option. I hope our finals exit will create some more steel and hunger in the squad, motivate them to do better in the finals. I think the squad is just missing a strike player or two, which we may not see till 2024. I hope we're busy Nov 1.

I think everyone, including me is finding it hard it seperate our finals series with our regular series and yeah you shouldn't in some ways but I think also you need to do it too. To get in a position like we were this year we need a good regular series.

Is 2023 our year, hmm, I think we'll have another good year but can't speak on if it's "our year" think we're still just missing something, whether it's fixing our left, more X factor in the back or in the forwards. A big bastard of a prop to be our enforcer.

There's a few things I think that will ensure we still have a good year.

Defense - yeah yeah I know we choked in the finals, but we had the 3rd best D in the comp, would have been second if we didn't let in a few soft tries to the Knights. That won't change, in fact I expect our defence to get better now the team has had a second off season to learn the systems, make tweaks etc.

As long as Fitz is at the Sharks we'll always be a top 4 or there abouts defensive team imo. That alone puts us top 6 . It's no coincidence the top 4 defensive teams were the top 4 teams, go back and see how top defensive teams fair. They rarely have bad years.

Squad - It does need a few tweaks but it's pretty much the same squad as this year plus Kaufusi who will be good, and a fit Williams who was our best forward in 2021. Consistency is key to be successful.

It definitely is missing something dont get me wrong. I think Iro should go to left centre and Talakai moves to edge but if we keep Graham then with Tieg also it is getting a bit crowded, so maybe Talakai stays at centre another year, and with a full off season will be even better for it. I do feel Iro is next man up in regards to our centres though, no more Tracey please. Maybe even next man up on the wing as I dont think Ika will be ready Rd 1, atleast not the early rounds.

I would be shocked if Kennedy isn't our Rd 1 fullback but really hope Dykes is a legit option if he has a big off season. I regret that we didn't get a larger sample size of Dykes in First grade, would have been nice to see more of him.

Moylan and Brailey - Need more from both. Brailey improved from last year, so similar improvement will see him be very good imo. His stats has him up there with alot of the other hookers but needs to get involved more.

Props we need more from Uele and Hunt. Especially Uele, his form pre injury was great, then took a while to get going. He has all the attributes but just needs to realise how good he can be. I hope we're looking for an upgrade for 2024. Spencer Leinu could be good.

Hynes - First year at halfback, had an amazing year and feel he'll only get better with the experience, smarter with his game management, better with kicking choices. He already improved defensively as he got used to be up front. Goal kicking improved to 85% second half of the year so ideally he brings that to the whole regular season.

Also need to look at how the rest of the competition will be too, some teams will be weaker, some stronger.

Penrith - defn weaker with no Api and Kikau but will be top 4 with their defence. Even with no Ciraldo they'll maintain their systems.
Eels - much weaker, they need to win it this year. Wont be a Top 6 threat.
Cowboys, Souths should be similar to this year.
Roosters maybe better but not sure on Smith as a full time hooker, too good of a squad to not be up there.
Storm - there abouts but lost some serious forward experience.
Raiders - meh
Eagles - No Foran, lot of pressure on DCE. Hooker is average.
Siteni Taukamo isn’t very good. I doubt he will be here past this year. Going by the effort he put in for ball this year, he is far off being a starter for flegg.
He was a signing made against advice

Tiger Shark

Bench
Siteni Taukamo isn’t very good. I doubt he will be here past this year. Going by the effort he put in for ball this year, he is far off being a starter for flegg.
He was a signing made against advice
Interesting .. and disappointing I had heard he was one of our better players for Ball this year. Haven't seen much of him.

This a Bomber signing ?

Latest posts