What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is 2023 the year?

chewsta

First Grade
Agree with most points BUT I'm against moving Talakai into the middle. He makes 200+ metres a game on the edges running at one out defenders. Putting him in the middle will totally nullify him. He may make one or two good runs but most of the time he will just get bashed in numbers and make little impact. We need big aggressive middles. Leniu is who I would want in the middle his aggro could fire up and unlock the missing piece to BHU and Hunts games.

cb4

First Grade
I have seen this obsession with moving our best centre back into the forwards but I don't get it. There is literally no one in the squad that could replace him or do better than him.
Until we get that, he has to stay in the centres.

myrrh ken

First Grade
I have seen this obsession with moving our best centre back into the forwards but I don't get it. There is literally no one in the squad that could replace him or do better than him.
He's been shown up in his lateral defence on occasions though

Inferno

Coach

And this is my huge problem. Ramien has been outplayed by a backrower playing in the centres.

Desperately need to find two decent centres.

Real shame Bronson pissed hot.

carinashark

First Grade
Storm will team teams apart ? Not so sure about that, they've lost a fair few players this year. Granted they've still got some excellent players but think it's a bit presumptuous to think they'll be tearing teams apart.

And also bad take on Dykes, he is absolutely a full back. Has been a full back all his juniors, so no need to start looking for a FB - we have it. Will he move to 5/8th - yeah maybe one day but he's not ready for that. His speed and support play around the middle will make him a really good attacking weapon at FB. Also being pretty young I think it's better physicallly he start at fullback.

We also have Siteni Taukamo, very very promising junior the club has locked up till 2025 or something. Should be playing Flegg next year and will join the full time squad this year. That's not to say he has what it takes but the club has two very legit options outside Kennedy before they start looking outside - unless a no brainer option becomes available then you'd be silly not to look at it.

We might see Dykes move to 5/8th in a few years and Taukamo goes to Fullback but defn getting ahead of myself there.

Let's talk 2023

TLDR: 2023 will see us competing for top 6 imo, injuries and how players improve from this year will determine if Top 4 is an option. I hope our finals exit will create some more steel and hunger in the squad, motivate them to do better in the finals. I think the squad is just missing a strike player or two, which we may not see till 2024. I hope we're busy Nov 1.

I think everyone, including me is finding it hard it seperate our finals series with our regular series and yeah you shouldn't in some ways but I think also you need to do it too. To get in a position like we were this year we need a good regular series.

Is 2023 our year, hmm, I think we'll have another good year but can't speak on if it's "our year" think we're still just missing something, whether it's fixing our left, more X factor in the back or in the forwards. A big bastard of a prop to be our enforcer.

There's a few things I think that will ensure we still have a good year.

Defense - yeah yeah I know we choked in the finals, but we had the 3rd best D in the comp, would have been second if we didn't let in a few soft tries to the Knights. That won't change, in fact I expect our defence to get better now the team has had a second off season to learn the systems, make tweaks etc.

As long as Fitz is at the Sharks we'll always be a top 4 or there abouts defensive team imo. That alone puts us top 6 . It's no coincidence the top 4 defensive teams were the top 4 teams, go back and see how top defensive teams fair. They rarely have bad years.

Squad - It does need a few tweaks but it's pretty much the same squad as this year plus Kaufusi who will be good, and a fit Williams who was our best forward in 2021. Consistency is key to be successful.

It definitely is missing something dont get me wrong. I think Iro should go to left centre and Talakai moves to edge but if we keep Graham then with Tieg also it is getting a bit crowded, so maybe Talakai stays at centre another year, and with a full off season will be even better for it. I do feel Iro is next man up in regards to our centres though, no more Tracey please. Maybe even next man up on the wing as I dont think Ika will be ready Rd 1, atleast not the early rounds.

I would be shocked if Kennedy isn't our Rd 1 fullback but really hope Dykes is a legit option if he has a big off season. I regret that we didn't get a larger sample size of Dykes in First grade, would have been nice to see more of him.

Moylan and Brailey - Need more from both. Brailey improved from last year, so similar improvement will see him be very good imo. His stats has him up there with alot of the other hookers but needs to get involved more.

Props we need more from Uele and Hunt. Especially Uele, his form pre injury was great, then took a while to get going. He has all the attributes but just needs to realise how good he can be. I hope we're looking for an upgrade for 2024. Spencer Leinu could be good.

Hynes - First year at halfback, had an amazing year and feel he'll only get better with the experience, smarter with his game management, better with kicking choices. He already improved defensively as he got used to be up front. Goal kicking improved to 85% second half of the year so ideally he brings that to the whole regular season.

Also need to look at how the rest of the competition will be too, some teams will be weaker, some stronger.

Penrith - defn weaker with no Api and Kikau but will be top 4 with their defence. Even with no Ciraldo they'll maintain their systems.
Eels - much weaker, they need to win it this year. Wont be a Top 6 threat.
Cowboys, Souths should be similar to this year.
Roosters maybe better but not sure on Smith as a full time hooker, too good of a squad to not be up there.
Storm - there abouts but lost some serious forward experience.
Raiders - meh
Eagles - No Foran, lot of pressure on DCE. Hooker is average.
A bigger body is needed at FB, that’s not Dykes, agree to disagree. We need something better than Moylan and Dykes is that man. The Storm I’m worried about gains some very good players plus the ones they have and will bring up. Our team needs to make another step up to be that top four side i believe they can be.

DJDL

Bench
A bigger body is needed at FB, that’s not Dykes, agree to disagree. We need something better than Moylan and Dykes is that man. The Storm I’m worried about gains some very good players plus the ones they have and will bring up. Our team needs to make another step up to be that top four side i believe they can be.

Too small to play fullback, but ok to defend in the front line.
How does that work?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
My observation, Blayke and William play better with Tricky.

Iamsharkie he will win over, he is a player.

Tiger Shark

Bench
Too small to play fullback, but ok to defend in the front line.
How does that work?
It doesn’t

And he’s not that small height wise, will naturally put on size as he develops.

Edit- Actually don’t think he’s that short either. Don’t have an official height but he’s got it be around 6 foot. His dad was 5’9” and he towers over him.

Plenty of good fullbacks that height

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
If you watched Newtown in the prelim final there is no way you would recommend Tricky to replace Moylan the guy is not a game winner.
This maybe true, iamsharkie agrees, Children learn.

Moyza, i love the guy, has silky skills, but is a yard of pace old.

It is a young mans game.

Latest posts