What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is a ball playing fullback required?

watatank

Coach
Just about everyone either has a ball playing fullback or is working towards developing/recruiting one. I think we're at the point where it is required and I just think teams limit their options by not having one.

giboz71

First Grade
Out of 16 games you pick two incidents to justify his play is riddled with cold drops. You have got to be kidding. Did you see the pick up of the kick through on the run last game? And I've seen Tedesco, Slater, GI, Stewart, Boyd, Moylan, Coote all drop balls. It doesn't mean their game is riddled with dropped balls.

They are the examples that come to mind in recent times.

Plenty of other instances over the last 4 years where a backline movement has stalled because of him.

Anyway, its a moot point. He's a Shark now. And shock horror, he won't be playing fullback for them.

Old Timer

Coach
They are the examples that come to mind in recent times.

Plenty of other instances over the last 4 years where a backline movement has stalled because of him.

Anyway, its a moot point. He's a Shark now. And shock horror, he won't be playing fullback for them.
That will only be confirmed when next year comes.
I don't believe other coaches are as fixed in their thinking as ours is.

ALSGI

Bench
Duges has at least 9 games left with us barring injuries and will be missed as an inspirational player and leader next year, warts, tatts and all imperfections.

According to MillWAD comments he's not chasing a FB and earlier in the year said he feels Field will be a FB. So he or they have a junior in mind. With 9 games to go you'd think we'd be seeing some one being blooded in on a wing if not at FB especially given MacDonalds form.

Or have they had a look at Field and Dufty in reggies and changed their mind?

Or are they thinking Mann again and that's why his contract's taking time? If that's the case why did they play Nighty at FB?

Duge's will be missed and it doesn't appear they have any idea really, looking from outside in at least.

What's the source to this rumor ? Would love nothing more then for this one to be true but doubt it.... Dugan is playing great footy and really sticking up Millward as if to say "told you so"

It was in one of the papers rumours sections, went something like "which current state of origin player wants out of a recently signed contract with a rival club at the urging of his current coach"

Frank Facer

First Grade
It was in one of the papers rumours sections, went something like "which current state of origin player wants out of a recently signed contract with a rival club at the urging of his current coach"
Bird and Tedesco have also been mentioned as being that player too.

Field at fullback would be a total disaster and imo he will be lucky to see alot of first grade in the halves either.

Dufty again on the weekend did lots of good things and should be considered yet seems to not really be mentioned.

watatank

Coach
Duges has at least 9 games left with us barring injuries and will be missed as an inspirational player and leader next year, warts, tatts and all imperfections.

According to MillWAD comments he's not chasing a FB and earlier in the year said he feels Field will be a FB. So he or they have a junior in mind. With 9 games to go you'd think we'd be seeing some one being blooded in on a wing if not at FB especially given MacDonalds form.

Or are they thinking Mann again and that's why his contract's taking time? If that's the case why did they play Nighty at FB?

Duge's will be missed and it doesn't appear they have any idea really, looking from outside in at least.

I would say that Millward believes that one of Dufty, Field or even Marsters will be ready to take over that fullback position long term. If they need more time to develop then the club will just go with Nightingale or Mann (if he stays) until then.

Bench
Since when is MillWit picking on who plays where.
Mary had been pushed out of the recruitment process.
I doubt whether any club does not leave the Coach out of the loop.
I doubt that when we are looking at a new coach they not come to us unless they have the final say on recruitment

GC Dragon

Juniors
I doubt that when we are looking at a new coach they not come to us unless they have the final say on recruitment
Yes you get the idea Mary and Millward have very different ideas and don't go along that well .

possm

Coach
We would fare infinitely better if we'd kept Dugan and changed the coach, rather than keeping the coach and changing the fullback.

Your right! And we would be that much better again if we signed Tedesco who has it all including defence.

possm

Coach
Mess
I'm sure this policy will not last past Mary's stint as head coach.

j0nesy

Bench

The club has created a bureaucracy in employing a "pathways" manager and taking the responsibility of recruitment and retention off the head coach. Yet the head coach is still responsible for selecting the team. So in reality Mary is the "pathways" manager and Millward is responsible for recruitment and retention. Simply put, Millward wants Field and Dufty to be given a shot a fullback, Mary does not.

possm

Coach
Kurt Mann just re-signed.

Kurt Mann is a ball player.

Kurt Mann is a good defender.

Kurt Mann has speed.

Kurt Mann has shown that he can consistently play at nrl level.

Kurt Mann for fullback.
You got it!

Now can Mary and is coaching staff get it?

I'm sure there will be a contest for the position between Mann, Dufty and Field. I think it would be very wise to give Dufty and Field a go while Mann is at 7. I expect Mann to be a 7 for the reminder of this season, So it will depend on how Dufty/Field go however, I would expect Mann to be favourite for the fullback job in 2018 if he performs well each week at halfback in the remaining rounds.