What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Australia's dominance officially over?

Force

Juniors
Do I think Australian dominance is over...No, not yet anyway, however, with the recent retirement of those QLD greats makes the Kangaroos look more vulnerable than ever. It will be up to the other teams to match them or they'll continue to lose to average Australian teams.

Agree with the comment about the dominant forwards being non-Australian, lucky Aussie still have players to fill the important roles like the spine.

Omegamanson

Juniors
I wouldn't write them off just yet.. Even with a lot of the older guard retiring that still wasn't the best Australian side available. Be interesting to see how many changes Mal makes this week for the Tonga game.

Yeah I forget it all the time. Not sure why. I knew 30 years didn't sound right.

Kiwis 24 - 0 Australia

The first time ever an Australian team was kept to zero in such an important game. "Bully the bully" we beat a star studded Kangaroos team in that final. How can one forget such an epic moment in Rugby League history? Now go watch it on YouTube lol

Let’s see how they go against Tonga (and whenever the next Test is because who knows when and where that will be)

This is another factor in why I see the Kangaroos slipping. They're going to go another 12 months without competing in a tournament. That coupled with the fact there's so many new faces, doesn't bode well for Australia.

I expect the Roos to dismantle Tonga on the weekend however. Tonga have no halves, but their pack will dominate Australia's. It should be an interesting clash of styles. The parochial crowd is worth a few points. If Aus lose to Tonga like we did, well that makes us look a whole lot better tbh.

This current Aus side has no all-time great star play-makers. Ever since I've been watching the Roos, they've had all-time greats running the show. Lewis, Langer, Daley, Stuart, Fittler, Johns, Lockyer, Thurston, Cronk.

Read all those names and now read DCE, Ben Hunt, Keary, Munster.

You could even use a Kimmorley right now.

You'll have enough nous in the halves to beat Tonga, but my hands are being rubbed together in anticipation for the next time Aus plays in a tournament.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
lol - Australia loses their first test since 2015 and the dominance is over. Let's remember that the Kangaroos lost a world cup, and two four nations titles during the time of Slater, Smith, Lockyer, Thurston & Cronk - it happens.

Having said that, they are more beatable now and if England and New Zealand don't take advantage over the next three years and at the next world cup then they have missed a big chance. It feels a bit like the 2014 four nations at the moment, that Kangaroos side was very beatable and the Kiwis took full advantage. Hell, the Kangaroos wouldn't have even made the final if the video ref saw the Ryan Hall try slightly differently.

Last Week

Bench
Kiwis 24 - 0 Australia

The first time ever an Australian team was kept to zero in such an important game. "Bully the bully" we beat a star studded Kangaroos team in that final. How can one forget such an epic moment in Rugby League history? Now go watch it on YouTube lol

Lol, settle down mate. Trent Barrett and Craig Gower were the halves.

Last Week

Bench
lol - Australia loses their first test since 2015 and the dominance is over. Let's remember that the Kangaroos lost a world cup, and two four nations titles during the time of Slater, Smith, Lockyer, Thurston & Cronk - it happens.

Having said that, they are more beatable now and if England and New Zealand don't take advantage over the next three years and at the next world cup then they have missed a big chance. It feels a bit like the 2014 four nations at the moment, that Kangaroos side was very beatable and the Kiwis took full advantage. Hell, the Kangaroos wouldn't have even made the final if the video ref saw the Ryan Hall try slightly differently.

If he saw it differently, it would have been the wrong call.

Lol, settle down mate. Trent Barrett and Craig Gower were the halves.

It was a mighty effort from the Kiwis to keep them scoreless no matter who Australia selected to represent them. We won on foreign soil miles away from home and really got in their faces with our no fear plan.

This team did manage to beat a Lockyer / Johns halves pairing in the first round of the tri-series. Kiwi's manage to win their first game in Sydney for 43 years.

MilkShark

First Grade
Not sure if it’s over but it’s closing quickly.

I have zero confidence in meninga as coach and I don’t believe Cordner is a good captain.

And i don’t think we have any halves that stand out.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
In any case, I'm sure if Australia start to lose dominance, there will be a push to change eligibility rules, player payments and/or increasing targetted poaching.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
I might be wrong, but has Australia conceded more points in the last two tests than the the last two RLWC combined?

Burns

First Grade
I might be wrong, but has Australia conceded more points in the last two tests than the the last two RLWC combined?
Feels like it.

And whilst Australia were able to essentially win the game in the first half hour, when have they last conceded points as easy as the past fortnight?

Thats why the 'dominance' feels over.

We may have lost to the Kangaroos in Wollongong, but we didn't show up to that game. That's on us.

But the Kangaroos losing to Tonga?....It's been a few weeks,but this thread deserves a bump.

I can't wait to see what happens in 2020. It's good to see Latrell saying Origin is not the pinnacle and playing for your country is, even though he's lost more tests than he's won.