What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Bennett's time up?

Striker

Juniors
Now before I go on, this isn't just because of last nights terrible performance I have been thinking this for a about 12 months now.

Don't get me wrong he is an absolute legendary coach and is the reason the Broncos have been so successfull and he ability to nuture junior players is unbelievable, but is 18 years too long. He would have to stay involved still coaching the juniors maybe even Toowoomba but maybe we need someone in there to drive a bit more passion.

To me, I feel that is all that is missing from the team, Passion. You could see it there last week against th Roosters, they wanted to win. Against the Cowboys, the wanted to square it up. But the two losses, not taking away from the Warriors and Storm perfomances (my god the Storm were awsome), but they seemed as though they justed didn't want to be there.

Since I got paytv in 97 i have not missed 1 second of a broncos game, before that i depended on tv coverage but lately there none commital to the game has, nearly, nearly made me walk away and not watch the rest of the game.

I'm not saying that Wayne isn't a passionate broncos, he would have to be but maybe someone new is needed just to raise that level up and make they players think. "We've got a new bloke to impress now"

What do we think?

Azkatro

First Grade
Well if they don't win the competition outright this year, it'll be the longest the club has ever gone without winning it (5 full years). Maybe that's an indication that he's been around a bit too long. But maybe the side that belted them yesterday (Storm) have something to do with it too - they get most of their players from the QLD cup and while a few other teams do that as well (Cowboys, Roosters to name a couple), they don't have to fill up pretty well an entire squad from players in the region. Since the Storm joined in 1999 they've taken a pretty long list of potential players away from the Broncos so I think that's got a little bit to do with it as well.

sheet_ed

Juniors
I can't believe this posting!!!

You have the icon of coaches. Ask any other team if they would have Bennett as a coach and they would probably say yes (except Roosters and Storm).

Even the Storm players said that the Broncos performance was uncharacteristic and they will bounce back.

I am really disappointed that Bronco's fans would even contemplate saying goodbye to Wayne Bennett.

Keep pouring this crap around and you will see who the first coach of the Gold Coast will be.

Any discussions about performance should be directed to the players.

I think you should spend time as a Parramatta fan - then you would know what a good thing you have got.

LESStar58

Referee
sheet_ed said:
I think you should spend time as a Parramatta fan - then you would know what a good thing you have got.

no thanks! I'd rather gnaw my won arm off!

Striker

Juniors
sheet_ed said:
I can't believe this posting!!!

You have the icon of coaches. Ask any other team if they would have Bennett as a coach and they would probably say yes (except Roosters and Storm).

Even the Storm players said that the Broncos performance was uncharacteristic and they will bounce back.

I am really disappointed that Bronco's fans would even contemplate saying goodbye to Wayne Bennett.

Keep pouring this crap around and you will see who the first coach of the Gold Coast will be.

Any discussions about performance should be directed to the players.

Without a doubt he is the icon of coaches and don't worry mate I know what a great coach we have. What I am saying is that there has been a definate loss of passion within the Broncos over the last few years and somehow they NEED to reignite that.

camsmith

Juniors
ild have bellamy anytime over bennett, only because bellamy has set up the club how he wants it, and knows the players strength's and weakness's and has a really good bond. But if ya offered me Bennett 3 years ago.. hell yeh i would take him.

Jordan

Juniors
Bennett is a great coach in terms of judging character and being somewhat of a father figure to his players. I do think, however, there are better coaches out there in terms of tactical awareness and coming up with the best game plans to beat the opposition.

The last few years the Broncos have looked really lethargic... Like Striker said...as if they're lacking passion. If you look at the Panthers in 2003, or the Cowboys of the finals series last year and the start of this year...those teams are always really fired up and you can tell in the way they play that they want to win at all costs. When Jensen made that cover tackle on Utai a couple of weeks ago, you could tell how much it meant to his teammates... There was a lot of backslapping and stuff going on... You could tell how much they wanted to win.. Even after the game, Jensen was saying how he did it for his team, because they would do the same for him. You can tell that they have a really good team morale..

The Broncos have been lacking that. I don't know if it's because they're not fit enough, or if they need a major change (such as a new coach)...but something is definitely wrong and it needs to be fixed.

Ghoulies

Bench
Jordan said:
Bennett is a great coach in terms of judging character and being somewhat of a father figure to his players. I do think, however, there are better coaches out there in terms of tactical awareness and coming up with the best game plans to beat the opposition.

I agree here, since Bellamy left we've really lacked a tactician to prepare us against some of the tougher opponents.
Jordan said:
The last few years the Broncos have looked really lethargic... Like Striker said...as if they're lacking passion.

It has nothing to do with passion. Towards the end of the last two seasons the only thing that has stopped us have been injuries and fatigue. The Broncos wanted to win as much as the next team, its just they were undermanned and completely exhausted from all the representative football they endured.
Jordan said:
If you look at the Panthers in 2003, or the Cowboys of the finals series last year and the start of this year...those teams are always really fired up and you can tell in the way they play that they want to win at all costs. When Jensen made that cover tackle on Utai a couple of weeks ago, you could tell how much it meant to his teammates... There was a lot of backslapping and stuff going on... You could tell how much they wanted to win.. Even after the game, Jensen was saying how he did it for his team, because they would do the same for him. You can tell that they have a really good team morale..

Jeez the Cowboys gave Jensen a pat on the back for making a try saving tackle, that must be the key to all their success :roll:
Last week the Broncos came into half-time a little flat after conceding a try to the Roosters before half-time, so Bennett had a long talk to them about guts and whats needed to win....
As we know the Broncos came out and piled on 26 more points, a rare feat against the Roosters.
Jordan said:
The Broncos have been lacking that. I don't know if it's because they're not fit enough, or if they need a major change (such as a new coach)...but something is definitely wrong and it needs to be fixed.
As I've said above I believe that our main problem is with fitness, but for a moment lets just say the coach is our problem.
Who do we bring in to take over WB post?
We could use the inexperienced Kevvie Walters who is our current assistant coach. But since he's apart of Bennetts current staff he wouldn't be able to help too much.
So what about Gus Gould? I bet he's just itching to take up a full time coaching job at a club with the stars the Broncos have, but he also hates anything to do with Super League/News Ltd , so I suppose he's out.
Daniel Anderson? Mmm... No.
Chris Anderson? Sure if we want half of our first graders released after our first loss.

The Broncos suffered a big loss, which will be remembered for some time.
But so far its only a one off, I'm sure we'll recover next week and any talk of, 'Bennetts gotta go!', will be a distant memory.

(Its nothing personal against Striker or Jordan, its just that I get sick and tired of seeing all these Bronco "fans" calling for blood if we dont win every week.)

Big Pete

Referee
Craig Belamy I think would be rather keen to take over as Broncos coach if he can.

I would welcome him back too, ever since his departure the Broncos havn't been the same team that looked like "the" team to beat, now we just like "a" team to beat.

I don't think you could say Bennett has done too much wrong with the loss here last night, it was just an awsome performance vs. a average performance, maybe we'll take more out of the loss.

gregstar

Referee
deary me!
i hope charlie is reading this thread - what a difference a severe thrashing makes

Mr Saab

Referee
i am eading this greg and it is to be expected.
Fans with NFI calling for the coaches head after a big loss. Wow, it took 17 yrs for a 50 to be posted.
Bennett is not going ANYWHERE.
Brown on the other hand...well thats another story...isnt it greg ;-)

Big Pete

Referee
The guy said he wanted to see Bennett go sometime last year...and he's got some sort of point as the Broncos have loss some passion going into the smaller games.

Jordan

Juniors
Ghoulies said:
Jordan said:

I agree here, since Bellamy left we've really lacked a tactician to prepare us against some of the tougher opponents.
Jordan said:
The last few years the Broncos have looked really lethargic... Like Striker said...as if they're lacking passion.

It has nothing to do with passion. Towards the end of the last two seasons the only thing that has stopped us have been injuries and fatigue. The Broncos wanted to win as much as the next team, its just they were undermanned and completely exhausted from all the representative football they endured.
Jordan said:
If you look at the Panthers in 2003, or the Cowboys of the finals series last year and the start of this year...those teams are always really fired up and you can tell in the way they play that they want to win at all costs. When Jensen made that cover tackle on Utai a couple of weeks ago, you could tell how much it meant to his teammates... There was a lot of backslapping and stuff going on... You could tell how much they wanted to win.. Even after the game, Jensen was saying how he did it for his team, because they would do the same for him. You can tell that they have a really good team morale..

Jeez the Cowboys gave Jensen a pat on the back for making a try saving tackle, that must be the key to all their success :roll:
Last week the Broncos came into half-time a little flat after conceding a try to the Roosters before half-time, so Bennett had a long talk to them about guts and whats needed to win....
As we know the Broncos came out and piled on 26 more points, a rare feat against the Roosters.
Jordan said:
As I've said above I believe that our main problem is with fitness, but for a moment lets just say the coach is our problem.
Who do we bring in to take over WB post?
We could use the inexperienced Kevvie Walters who is our current assistant coach. But since he's apart of Bennetts current staff he wouldn't be able to help too much.
So what about Gus Gould? I bet he's just itching to take up a full time coaching job at a club with the stars the Broncos have, but he also hates anything to do with Super League/News Ltd , so I suppose he's out.
Daniel Anderson? Mmm... No.
Chris Anderson? Sure if we want half of our first graders released after our first loss.

The Broncos suffered a big loss, which will be remembered for some time.
But so far its only a one off, I'm sure we'll recover next week and any talk of, 'Bennetts gotta go!', will be a distant memory.

(Its nothing personal against Striker or Jordan, its just that I get sick and tired of seeing all these Bronco "fans" calling for blood if we dont win every week.)

I was not necessarily calling for Wayne Bennett to be sacked. There aren't any better options available and I think the best option would probably be to wait until Bellamy's contract with the Storm expires (3 years?) and try to bring him back to Brisbane.. With the amount of success the Broncos have had over the years, I think it would be disrespectful for Bennett to be sacked, and should be able to leave on his own terms.

Well, if the Broncos aren't lacking passion like you say, the biggest problem must be fitness. I know when Carl Webb came to the Cowboys he said that the biggest change was that the Cowboys training is more endurance based, compared to at the Broncos where they concentrate more on power.

The Broncos definitely have the players to be able to win this competition. It's just get frustrating to see them not playing to there brilliant potential...

Mr Saab

Referee
dont use carl webb as an eg.
His attitude was shocking hence why he was let go. I am happy he is doing well at the cowboys.

I don't think so.....

...and as an Eels supporter I am more scared about being put through the wringer than us continuing their misery this weekend!!!!!!

Jordan

Juniors
Charlie Saab said:
dont use carl webb as an eg.
His attitude was shocking hence why he was let go. I am happy he is doing well at the cowboys.

I was using that as an example to demonstrate the different styles of training. It is common knowledge that the Broncos concentrate more on power rather than endurance.

Mong

Post Whore
What was he doing saturday night? The first half they scored 5 tries down tate and botts side, which could eaeily have been 7 or 8, yet he didnt change anything to counter the attack and the obvious problem occurring there. Bad mistake that one.