What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Channel 9 the home of rugby league?

I see more people paid to watch NRL on Fox than watched it fr free on Nine this round lol. No wonder they are going broke.

Really? I thought Nine's ratings were the best for a regular season match since 2014 or something like that. So Fox had more viewers?

I got Kayo on Saturday to watch the league - and after I'd finally figured out how to get the chromecast working (after a few glitches) I'm more than happy to pay my $15 a month and not have to watch Channel 9's coverage ever again.

Vee

First Grade
Looks like the Storm V Souths will be live on 9HD in Melbourne was announced on their AFL show tonight lol.
Should this be in the Nein Incompetence thread given they're making a big deal of something they should have done Australia-wide for years?

taipan

Referee
Should this be in the Nein Incompetence thread given they're making a big deal of something they should have done Australia-wide for years?

Who knows maybe V'Lad had something to do with it.Because his predecessors had trouble getting it done.

franklin2323

Immortal
Really? I thought Nine's ratings were the best for a regular season match since 2014 or something like that. So Fox had more viewers?

I got Kayo on Saturday to watch the league - and after I'd finally figured out how to get the chromecast working (after a few glitches) I'm more than happy to pay my $15 a month and not have to watch Channel 9's coverage ever again.

Most RL fans are this way. Watch the 6pm game no point changing over to ch9. Is there to service the neutrals

Perth Red

Post Whore

Ch9 2,214,336
Fox 2,276,000

Doesnt specify if this includes Kayo or not.

How bad do you have to be that you cant even give something away for free! With Kayo now being far more affordable than foxtel and more and more smart tv's in the lounge room the shift away from FTA will continue unless Ch9, or whoever gets the next deal, can reinvigorate their coverage and make it better than Fox's coverage.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
So 8 games on Fox as opposed to 3 on Nein.Not exactly a comparison.

It is when one is free and the other you have to pay for! Its is a sign that increasingly NRL fans are dumping Nine for Kayo. I suspect if you combine NRL's Fox sports, foxtel go and Kayo they are not too far away from Ch9's FTA figures for the three games. Probably around 65% or there abouts, and I expect that will keep closing year on year with KAYO now being a cheaper option. Streaming is where the future lies.

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
It is when one is free and the other you have to pay for! Its is a sign that increasingly NRL fans are dumping Nine for Kayo. I suspect if you combine NRL's Fox sports, foxtel go and Kayo they are not too far away from Ch9's FTA figures for the three games. Probably around 65% or there abouts, and I expect that will keep closing year on year with KAYO now being a cheaper option. Streaming is where the future lies.[/QUOTE

Maybe it's the lack of quality commentators 9 have ,or their lack of promotional work when they have the rights.
But when you compared the numbers for 8 games compare to 3 on FTA ,it's not a true comparison.
We all know 9s numbers are falling ,and they get criticised regularly for it.I've shafted them many times.
If Kayo gets the fall ,good on em .NIne is committed to paying whatever the deal is til 2022, so if they only their own staff watching, they still have to pay.
We should have been well up in viewing numbers over the years ,in all TV viewing under Greenberg and Grants watch.
Quite frankly I'm hoping against hope ch10 gets the FTA rights from 2023.

glockers

Juniors
It might be just me, but does Gould reign it back in when Rabs and Joey are not there?
Friday night commentary by Thompson Gould Sterlo with Slater in sidelines was first rate.
Also Sterlo is ten times better than Joey in the booth.

Sterling is a god.

His analysis of play, his understanding and passion for the game, and his ability to thread words to form coherent sentences is wasted at 9.

Apey

Staff member
Slater has been pretty good and is doing a reasonable job of being unbiased for someone who recently retired.

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
Slater has been pretty good and is doing a reasonable job of being unbiased for someone who recently retired.

Whilst we all detest the storm, have to give it Bellamy and the players .
The retired Melbourne players Cronk and slater are only handful of explayers that can string sentences and they can actually analyse a game and comment on what has occured on the field which is why they were dominate when playing

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Sterling is a god.

His analysis of play, his understanding and passion for the game, and his ability to thread words to form coherent sentences is wasted at 9.

The biggest issue I have with Ex players is they lack an original thought. Compared to AFL or cricket players who seem to understand what makes their sports tick and can put across a constructive arguement or thought. Sterling obviously is an exception for us. Ex players all seem to run with the party line or want to be boofheads. No wonder journos go to the same players for quotes to push agendas.

I've seen that Melbourne sports radio SEN is pushing into Sydney with Jimmy Smith and Joel Caine. At least these two are intelligent.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
The biggest issue I have with Ex players is they lack an original thought. Compared to AFL or cricket players who seem to understand what makes their sports tick and can put across a constructive arguement or thought. Sterling obviously is an exception for us. Ex players all seem to run with the party line or want to be boofheads. No wonder journos go to the same players for quotes to push agendas.

I've seen that Melbourne sports radio SEN is pushing into Sydney with Jimmy Smith and Joel Caine. At least these two are intelligent.

james Graham would be the exception. He’s supposed to be coming back next year for a media job so hopefully it’s at fox

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
I know a lot didn’t like him , but I miss having gasnier on fox , he was much better than the muppets they have in now . Also he never seemed to be biased against teams

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
I know a lot didn’t like him , but I miss having gasnier on fox , he was much better than the muppets they have in now . Also he never seemed to be biased against teams
What happened to Gaz? He disappeared one round a few years ago and haven't seen him since.

Latest posts