What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Cleary a dud?

mxlegend99

Referee
It was convenient to blame the club for Moylan’s departure.

The fact is it was Moylan’s actions or unsatisfactory conduct which led to his falling out with our then coach and subsequent move to the Sharks.

Regardless of his ability as a football player he disrespected our club, fans, team mates and coach as a result of which he had to go pure and simple.

Long after his career is over Matt Moylan will largely be forgotten and will be remembered as that player with a lot of talent who never quite delivered on a consistent basis.
Anthony Griffin used to rip into him infront of his teammates and direct all the abuse at him because he was the captain. That's going to destroy the relationshio with any player and it's a miracle Moylan stayed as long as he did.

Its as much the coaches fault as the player. How many players have been pushed out under Ivan and Hook yet we always blame the players? It would be very rare for the blame to lay on one person in these situations.

The usual theme is x player is overpaid. So the club treats them shit to encourage them to leave and fix our cap.

betcats

Referee
Anthony Griffin used to rip into him infront of his teammates and direct all the abuse at him because he was the captain. That's going to destroy the relationshio with any player and it's a miracle Moylan stayed as long as he did.

Its as much the coaches fault as the player. How many players have been pushed out under Ivan and Hook yet we always blame the players? It would be very rare for the blame to lay on one person in these situations.

The usual theme is x player is overpaid. So the club treats them shit to encourage them to leave and fix our cap.

Exactly. It was reported that this was the start of the issues between them when Moylan was released. Griffin confirmed this again a year later after we sacked him.

What does Griffin owe Moylan that he would take the wrap for his bad behaviour and take responsibility for the falling out?

Kilkenny

Coach

To be fair I think Gus Gould recognised how important Matt Moylan was to our fortunes going forward and he tried desperately to address the issues, ultimately without success.

I have no doubt our overall fortunes on the footy field would have been better if Matt Moylan had been fully committed to the Panthers and not had his off field issues and fallout with Anthony Griffin. (Nothing against James Maloney here)

Having said that, it is history now and who was more to blame is probably a pointless argument.

In respect of the management of the salary cap, who stays and who goes, our recruitment, our juniors it is all subjective and a matter of opinion I guess.

I still watch the occasion Titans game and sadly think we dodged a bullet with Bryce Cartwright for example. He remains a shadow of the player he could have been. Slightly better in 2019 but not much better if the truth be known.

martielang

Bench
Didn’t Griffin just say he could of handled the situation better? I don’t think that automatically eliminates any blame from Moylan & his behaviour at the time.

He had plenty of things swept under the carpet while he was here.

Great player, poor professional.

Kilkenny

Coach
Exactly. It was reported that this was the start of the issues between them when Moylan was released. Griffin confirmed this again a year later after we sacked him.

What does Griffin owe Moylan that he would take the wrap for his bad behaviour and take responsibility for the falling out?

I’m not sure I understand your logic.

Are you defending Matt Moylan.

We can probably surmise we only know half of the off field issues that led to his leaving the club.

Personal accountability does that fit in somewhere in respect of Matt Moylan or do we instead lay blame every else?

mxlegend99

Referee
Didn’t Griffin just say he could of handled the situation better? I don’t think that automatically eliminates any blame from Moylan & his behaviour at the time.

Griffin also said Gus was completely responsible for getting him fired and that nothing happened at this club without his say so.

Which used to be true. But he was oblivious to the fact Gus was being used as the villain at the time only to also be forced out the club.

Moylan and Hook both played part in the breakdown of the relationship. But I don't think any captain would sccept the treatment Moylan got. When it became clear Hook was being backed by Gus... Moylan ultimately left. Hook also said that played a part in destroying his relationship with Gus... that was when things between them started to get bad.

betcats

Referee

No he said much more than that.

Direct quote regarding Moylan situation:

“It’s something I’m not proud of and I was happy to cop the flak for that”

Lol you guys are joking aren’t yas? What’s Griffin not proud of I wonder? I’ll post the link tomoz I can’t do it on a phone.

betcats

Referee
I’m not sure I understand your logic.

Are you defending Matt Moylan.

We can probably surmise we only know half of the off field issues that led to his leaving the club.

Personal accountability does that fit in somewhere in respect of Matt Moylan or do we instead lay blame every else?

I’m not defending anyone. I’m just over this bullshit revisionist history.

Edit: I’m not going to argue what he was upto off the field, most of you are just repeating second hand rumours you cannot prove true or even name your source and then disregarding Griffins own words. It’s ridiculous.

Last edited:

martielang

Bench
@betcats you seem to base your arguments on second hand rumours when it suits your agenda or when it’s anti-Griffin.

Not sure how your quote from Griffin puts it all on him. Saying He’s not proud of the way he handled it & he’s got to take responsibility for his side, that does not equal Matthew was an exemplary professional during his time at the club & him leaving is all of my doing.

He’s just saying he should of handled it better, I would assume Moylan would say the exact same thing from his end.

Anyway, we won’t agree. Let’s move on & share the happiness of running 14th together.

betcats

Referee
@betcats you seem to base your arguments on second hand rumours when it suits your agenda or when it’s anti-Griffin.

Not sure how your quote from Griffin puts it all on him. Saying He’s not proud of the way he handled it & he’s got to take responsibility for his side, that does not equal Matthew was an exemplary professional during his time at the club & him leaving is all of my doing.

He’s just saying he should of handled it better, I would assume Moylan would say the exact same thing from his end.

Anyway, we won’t agree. Let’s move on & share the happiness of running 14th together.

No I don't and where did I say its all on griffin? If you cant admit he is accepting some fault there you're delusional mate seriously this is such a witch hunt.

Go and read the whole NRL 360 interview that griffin talks about Moylan. The worst thing he says about him is that he struggled with the captaincy and leadeship after a while. He compared Moylans struggles to Lockyer and Thurstons early leadership struggles. He then actually goes on to praise moylans leadership and captaincy and then drops that earlier quote where he says he isnt proud and then talks about the relationship going downhill for in his words "whtever reason".

There was not one insinuation that there was more going on off the field with Moylan, nothing at all.

And we wont agree because you believe rumours over hook himself. You are desperate for Moylan to be the bad guy.

Edit: Just to be clear I have no trouble believing Moylan was going out a lot and partying hard. I just do not believe for one second that it was the cause of him leaving here or the cause of the issues between himself and griffin. Not when Hook himself has claimed otherwise.

Last edited:

Fangs

Coach
Would love to have Moylan throwing money balls to Kiks and Marto all dayyyyy long.

I would too.

1. Moylan
6. Luai
7. Cleary
9. Kenny

Moylan and Luai would create plenty of points. It lets you keep Cleary at 7 and he just concentrate on his kicking game and learning how to talk. No nonsense hooker in Kenny is a step up from what we have. Not the best spine in the comp but Moylan makes it look far more potent.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Only one thing is clear from all this talk.

Bring back Moyza.
computer-says-no-1.jpg

Just about to hit his straps....

OldPanther

Coach
I would too.

1. Moylan
6. Luai
7. Cleary
9. Kenny

Moylan and Luai would create plenty of points. It lets you keep Cleary at 7 and he just concentrate on his kicking game and learning how to talk. No nonsense hooker in Kenny is a step up from what we have. Not the best spine in the comp but Moylan makes it look far more potent.

That is sexy although I still am behind Egan at the moment.