What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is It Time For SGI To Address Their TPA Problem

True_Believer

Juniors
The car allowance ,correct me if i am wrong , is up to 100k without impinging the cap ? .

The question I am asking is:

1. As stated, Tara drives a Jag
  2. Tara has become a Jaguar 'Ambassador' and would be getting paid to do so
  3. Politis has links to Jaguar
Although by no means definitive proof, it does the beg the question and you would need to question how much of a role the boss has played a part in these 'developments'. The car allowance can apply to Cooper, however Tara may also be gaining benefits from the Roosters deal that may have made the move more attractive.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
No, of course not. An 80" TV with WIN on the screen when it is first switched on!
But what if the player is a die-hard Married At First Sight fan?

Or even worse, what if the player resides in Sydney and can’t pick up the channel?

goggles

Juniors
Together, the Storm and Broncos receive about as much as the other 14 clubs combined... and if the rumours / innuendo about uncle Nick and the Roosters are true, then the big 3 would be dwarfing the other 13 teams.
It's good to see a 'level playing field' in operation!

possm

Coach

Although by no means definitive proof, it does the beg the question and you would need to question how much of a role the boss has played a part in these 'developments'. The car allowance can apply to Cooper, however Tara may also be gaining benefits from the Roosters deal that may have made the move more attractive.

It is possible and maybe probable that what you suggest is true. I doubt there is anything that can be done about this unless paperwork show the car came from uncle Nick. I feel sure that if the Jag came from Jaguar itself, it would be very hard to make the case.

So, let someone test this by accusing the Rooters of cheating the salary cap. When the likely dismissal is proclaimed, then learn from this and arrange for Jeep to provide a top-of-the-range car to the wives of our marquee players citing the Tara case as the precedent.

possm

Coach
But what if the player is a die-hard Married At First Sight fan?

Or even worse, what if the player resides in Sydney and can’t pick up the channel?

All players would be happy to have a free 80" WIN TV. In the case where they might already have one, they can give it to their parents or their favourite charity or maybe even to me.

True_Believer

Juniors
It is possible and maybe probable that what you suggest is true. I doubt there is anything that can be done about this unless paperwork show the car came from uncle Nick. I feel sure that if the Jag came from Jaguar itself, it would be very hard to make the case.

So, let someone test this by accusing the Rooters of cheating the salary cap. When the likely dismissal is proclaimed, then learn from this and arrange for Jeep to provide a top of the range car to the wives of our marquee players citing the Tara case as the precedent.

It's a different scenario. We don't have ties to Jeep apart from sponsorship (which I'm not sure is still the case) - which then means we can't use them as TPAs. Politis on the other hand owns some Jaguar dealerships and would have close contacts within the organisation. Additionally, Jaguar aren't sponsors of the Roosters (at least not to my knowledge). If all of this suspicion is founded, this could possibly have been a deliberate move on behalf of Politis himself to free up 'options'.

If, on the other hand Gordon owned a couple of Jeep franchises, then I would guess that what you are suggesting may be something worth investigating.

DragonJ

Juniors
Blows the theory that the Rooster are able to attract TPA because of uncle Nick and their Club's close proximity to big business in the CBD.

Cronulla are even further south than St George and do not have an uncle Nick. It is time SGI woke up to themselves and got with the times. TPA would give ordinary recruitment/pathways the opportunity to compete with other clubs for marquee players.

Let's see; a demonstrator top of the range Jeep, a 300k TPA and a WIN TV should get most players over the line.

Hopefully Brian Johnston will get this ridiculous situation sorted out. "Arms length" from the club is fine. Roosters obviously manage it.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
All players would be happy to have a free 80" WIN TV. In the case where they might already have one, they can give it to their parents or their favourite charity or maybe even to me.
This creates an issue though..

If both Tariq & Korbin feel they didn’t need the extravagance of an 80” TV and tried to give it to their parents, would the parents want, or even need, two screens of such size?

What would happen if their parents said they only wanted one TV? Would both siblings race around to be the first one to give their TV? This could provide a safety risk and result in one, or both, Sims brothers being injured.

Potentially their parents could be injured in this situation too.. I’m envisioning Tariq and Korbin jostling up the stairs with their TV’s, both trying to curry favour by being the first, but in their haste both bowling over their parents, resulting in broken TVs and broken bones all round.

Or what if Tariq and Korbin got in a fight over who could donate their TV? Who would win? Would that have an impact on team harmony?

Or what if their parents chose one child’s TV over another? This could lead to the ‘losing’ child not feeling happy and wanting to move away, so we lose a player.

Overall I think your plan is feeble, ill-conceived and fraught with danger.

possm

Coach
It's a different scenario. We don't have ties to Jeep apart from sponsorship (which I'm not sure is still the case) - which then means we can't use them as TPAs. Politis on the other hand owns some Jaguar dealerships and would have close contacts within the organisation. Additionally, Jaguar aren't sponsors of the Roosters (at least not to my knowledge). If all of this suspicion is founded, this could possibly have been a deliberate move on behalf of Politis himself to free up 'options'.

If, on the other hand Gordon owned a couple of Jeep franchises, then I would guess that what you are suggesting may be something worth investigating.

Not necessary. Just contact the Australian representatives of Jeep and put it to them. Any staff member of the WIN marketing division can do that and arrange a similar deal. If 'Jeep' is the problem, then contact Mercedes Benz or BMW.

BLM01

First Grade

Guys and gals...wife's, spouses, partners etc have been included in topping up salaries linked to NRL players since..since 1980's or 90's...it's no brainer and topping up the partner cant be necessarily traced or proven to benefit the player.
I could tell you some perks given to an ex players wife through giving them a rental place to live with the Club as the landlord + car etc etc.
Salary cap will never be able to be even and policed to the depths we need to prove what we all can imagine and suspect or real salaries ever known except club, player, manager and immediate family

True_Believer

Juniors
Guys and gals...wife's, spouses, partners etc have been included in topping up salaries linked to NRL players since..since 1980's or 90's...it's no brainer and topping up the partner cant be necessarily traced or proven to benefit the player.
I could tell you some perks given to an ex players wife through giving them a rental place to live with the Club as the landlord + car etc etc.
Salary cap will never be able to be even and policed to the depths we need to prove what we all can imagine and suspect or real salaries ever known except club, player, manager and immediate family

Well assuming this is the case, it pretty much makes a mockery of the cap. This is why one city teams and those owned by wealthy parties makes the situation almost untouchable by some teams. No matter what we do, we will never compete with this - unless Gordon is able to provide these types of incentives. This is where it all falls down.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Blows the theory that the Rooster are able to attract TPA because of uncle Nick and their Club's close proximity to big business in the CBD.

Cronulla are even further south than St George and do not have an uncle Nick. It is time SGI woke up to themselves and got with the times. TPA would give ordinary recruitment/pathways the opportunity to compete with other clubs for marquee players.

Let's see; a demonstrator top of the range Jeep, a 300k TPA and a WIN TV should get most players over the line.
How about a BMW M2 instead of the Jeep?

BLM01

First Grade
Well assuming this is the case, it pretty much makes a mockery of the cap. This is why one city teams and those owned by wealthy parties makes the situation almost untouchable by some teams. No matter what we do, we will never compete with this - unless Gordon is able to provide these types of incentives. This is where it all falls down.
Of course it makes a mockery. Ther are so many ways to undermine or "cheat" and they all do it to a point so as not to get caught. Same with 3rd party.
Simple 1 first. The old paper bag with cash. Who can police a private meeting with a brown paper bag to be kept under you bed each week. The simplest, basic and without a camera no one can tell.
Yes there are more sophisticated ways as corporate tax cheats know who have been around since tax was invented.
The only ways you get caught is the way it has been done before. Someone blowing the whistle or clubs self reporting

AyiosYiorgos

Coach

When did Tara get the Jag gig, was it after Cronk signed or has she had it when he was at Melb, Tara does have her own brand so to speak, so she could have earned that gig on her ow, but the cynic in me say RORT...

Not necessary. Just contact the Australian representatives of Jeep and put it to them. Any staff member of the WIN marketing division can do that and arrange a similar deal. If 'Jeep' is the problem, then contact Mercedes Benz or BMW.
If we did this, and then the NRL found out that we are cheating the salary cap, and a stripped of points or a premiership, as the club isnt to be involved in sourcing 3rd party deals, what are you going to say then, sack the board who organised this, seriously either we play by the rules or we cheat, cant have both and cant criticise the club for following the rules...

Frank Facer

First Grade
When did Tara get the Jag gig, was it after Cronk signed or has she had it when he was at Melb, Tara does have her own brand so to speak, so she could have earned that gig on her ow, but the cynic in me say RORT...

If we did this, and then the NRL found out that we are cheating the salary cap, and a stripped of points or a premiership, as the club isnt to be involved in sourcing 3rd party deals, what are you going to say then, sack the board who organised this, seriously either we play by the rules or we cheat, cant have both and cant criticise the club for following the rules...
I actually thought possum's idea was a good one. At least our club would be being pro active. If the club's representative's are not permitted to do it, then maybe they could look at outsourcing a 3rd party to line up 3rd party agreements, similar to what possum suggested our club representatives do. I know that TPA's can not be a current major sponsor of the club, but I didn't know that our marketing department weren't allowed to approach prospective companies to create 3rd party deals. We now have a very good roster, so we should have success on the field, that would make our players more attractive to prospective companies.

I think our management should be held accountable for inability to attract TPA's. If I was CEO, that is one of the first things that I would be looking to address along with the elephant in the room.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
I actually thought possum's idea was a good one. At least our club would be being pro active. If the club's representative's are not permitted to do it, then maybe they could look at outsourcing a 3rd party to line up 3rd party agreements, similar to what possum suggested our club representatives do. I know that TPA's can not be a current major sponsor of the club, but I didn't know that our marketing department weren't allowed to approach prospective companies to create 3rd party deals. We now have a very good roster, so we should have success on the field, that would make our players more attractive to prospective companies.

I think our management should be held accountable for inability to attract TPA's. If I was CEO, that is one of the first things that I would be looking to address along with the elephant in the room.
How can you hold them accountable, when it is the players manager responsibility to attract the TPA's, the guy who earns the 7% thats part of he's job, sure maybe the other clubs don't follow the rules 100% , but as i said if we follow them and get caught everyone will be up in arms and want heads to roll, so you cant have it both ways...

Frank Facer

First Grade
How can you hold them accountable, when it is the players manager responsibility to attract the TPA's, the guy who earns the 7% thats part of he's job, sure maybe the other clubs don't follow the rules 100% , but as i said if we follow them and get caught everyone will be up in arms and want heads to roll, so you cant have it both ways...
Officially it may be the player's manager who is responsible for attracting 3rd party deals, but I know that it isn't as simple as that. Take Tedesco for example. He officially signed with Easts for 700K on the salary cap, but I am sure he would be on a lot more than that. I am pretty sure that Canterbury were offering him around 1 mil a season. We had Dugan on 800K at the time. We definitely could have offered Tedesco 850K a season, but we weren't even in the race for his signature. To me it is obvious that 3rd party deals are linked to a certain player playing for a certain club. If the player leaves the said club he is playing for, I am pretty sure that many 3rd party deals would be voided.

When Brisbane signed Millford, I think it was for around 600K on the cap. Canberra offered him 1 mil a season to backflip, but he declined their offer. Milford was obviously being topped up on top of his salary cap deal. It is plain obvious that clubs are playing an active role in 3rd party deals. We should be working out what/how Easts, Brisbane and Melbourne are working their 3rd party deals and follow suit.

If our management are not to be held accountable for our inability to attract 3rd party deals, then who should?

It is only a rort when you are not in on it.

Last edited:

Latest posts