What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Jarryd Hayne really an awful footballer or is he...

Loudstrat

Coach
explain his disappearance in the NSW Origin team then?
Wasnt selected in one you gronk.

Hayne = myth
Ahh, the return of the old chestnut. Get with the times - the modern gumby now uses "lol@"

he looks lazy and at times simply disappears during a game - appears to take for granted his natural talent, that it will take him to the top without putting in the work.
Third most linebreak assists in the NRL - one behind Marshall. And in the worst attacking team in the comp too. This is a recording.......
Gould commented on this too.
Gould thinks League will be extinct in Western Sydney in three weeks too.

he is not even in the top 3 fullbacks in NRL - therefore nowhere near top 10, or 20 footballers running around
Firstly, he playing 5/8, not fullback. Secondly, are 3 fullbacks automatically in the top 10 or 20 players?

Eelementary

Post Whore
As much as I hate him, he is one of the most gifted players in the NRL. If you take skills and physical attributes and put them together, he is the most gifted player in the nrl.
In the head department (which is where it counts), he is below the average nrl player.

I think this is the most unbiased and honest appraisal of him I have seen.

Hayne has all the attributes to be ones of the greats - speed, strength, skill and even good vision. But he just lacks the footy brain to make it all click.

seaeagle sam

I can't even remember making this thread, Coopers' Sparkling Ale and Bookers Bourbon can do strange things to a man.

But as I did, I suppose I should give an opinion.

He can do the most insanely brilliant things on the football field but:

He appears to be a prima donna and precious when it comes to criticism.

He seems a bit childish in the sense of concentration and in the what, where and when department during a game. Out of position is one thing but those passes where atrocious.

I'd also like to point out: I, personally, think he is over-rated but he is not lazy as in Inglis and he could also grow up, be consistent and be one of the very best. He has certainly got the talent to this.

23 years old and has played wing, centre, fullback and 5/8 in his time in 1st grade. He's trying to spark a team that has no halves, lno hooker, uke burt as it's 2nd best attacking option and forwards playing in the centres.

To be honest I think Jarryd has lost a lot of confidence whilst trying to spark this shit awful outfit, and not knowing his exact role in the team.

Definately has the ability to be one of the greatest to ever play the game, Parra need to help him in the areas of his game that need improvement, let him settle in his best position, and play a style more suited to getting the best out of his talents.

gUt

Coach
The Eels should stick with him at 6 for the rest of this season, then let him get an off-season under his belt training at 6 alongside Sandow, get some fast merkin for fullback and the Eels would look a lot better next season.

Vic Mackey

Referee
hayne is a brilliant player, anyone saying he isnt is an idiot or just hates him for some reason.

look at the absolute dross he has to play with every week at the eels. its generally not a hard game plan when you play them 'stop jarryd and we win.' reminds me of poor old tim brasher at balmain in the early-mid 90s. superstar who has to play with complete garbage every week.

didnt help that stuart stuffed him around in origin...apparently he was a 5/8 so he went on to pick him at wing and center.....

Loudstrat

Coach
Hayne will play flawlessly in the next few weeks, save for a knock on. The thread bagging him will be 6 pages long.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
.......if you know better than offer an opinion.

Hayne gets judged very quickly and with an extreme lack of tolerance for human error.

I guess the huge expectations from fans because of his undeniable talent is a little hard to live up to.

He's not a 5/8.......he's a fullback.

It's been said before and it was stated again earlier that the weight of responsibility on Hayne in the current Parra line up is too much to ask of any player no matter how talented he is.

He can't do it all on his own.

Next year the addition of another play maker in Sandow will allow Hayne more opportunities to pick and choose when to insert himself into a game.

When Parramatta start winning games not solely on the back of Jarrod Hayne, is when you'll start to see Jarrod Hayne play more consistent footy and when I believe his game will reach it's true expectations.

Iv met several people in the game, Jarryd a few times. I would not claim to know him enough to make a judgement on him like "oh he's arrogant" or "he's a show pony". The impression I got from him actually was that he actually quite humble and rather quiet to be honest.

explain his disappearance in the NSW Origin team then?

Hayne = myth

he looks lazy and at times simply disappears during a game - appears to take for granted his natural talent, that it will take him to the top without putting in the work. Gould commented on this too.

he is not even in the top 3 fullbacks in NRL - therefore nowhere near top 10, or 20 footballers running around

NSW didn't shift the ball to his wing much in game 2, but when they did in game 3 he looked good, although he was playing out of position. When in form he's one of the best players in the game, but I guess many people's irrational hate for the guy don't let them see that.

badav

Bench
hayne is a brilliant player, anyone saying he isnt is an idiot or just hates him for some reason.

No he is not. Potentially could be but compare him to Thurston who already is a brilliant player. He has been one of the best players in the world through some ordinary cowboys teams.

Hayne doesn't hold a candle to that. He has a fair way to go be a brilliant player. Although its definitely not all his fault, he is essentially being tasked with creating everything for that side.

Parramatta's forward pack is able. Put some good halves and a hooker in that side and you will see a better Hayne, one that doesnt have the whole team on his shoulders.

He is too young and inexperienced to lead that side around at 6. Which is why you see him throw passes into the ground when the side are under the pump. Brilliant players don't do that.

He really just isn't that good. He's got talent, but he doesn't play any position very well at all. Ordinary fullback and now ordinary 5/8th. Absolute shit for brains. People bill him as some kind of superstar but he just isn't at the level of Marshall, Smith, Slater, Thurston etc etc. He's no where near it.

He's got a chip and chase and a no look 2 man cut out pass, that's it. Predictable. I wouldn't be surprised if he wins the "most overrated" poll judged by fellow players in the coming years either.

He'll make the wing for NSW next year but I just don't know, there's a reason why we haven't won a series since he made his debut.

natheel

Coach
He really just isn't that good. He's got talent, but he doesn't play any position very well at all. Ordinary fullback and now ordinary 5/8th. Absolute shit for brains. People bill him as some kind of superstar but he just isn't at the level of Marshall, Smith, Slater, Thurston etc etc. He's no where near it.

He's got a chip and chase and a no look 2 man cut out pass, that's it. Predictable. I wouldn't be surprised if he wins the "most overrated" poll judged by fellow players in the coming years either.

He'll make the wing for NSW next year but I just don't know, there's a reason why we haven't won a series since he made his debut.

Why didn't nsw win in game 1 this year when hayne wasn't there?! Good logic there aye

Can't deny he has the talent....just needs to work harder

I'd take Hayne before I'd take Dugan, I know that much. The Raiders fans bitterness is ridiculous.

Hayne is a fantastic fullback. Put him behind a good team and he'd reign terror on opposition.

age.s

First Grade
I don't think the public opinion of Hayne is helped by the fact he always looks so relaxed when playing. He never gets fired up anymore unless he's losing his temper. Hard to know what happened too. Just watching the lead in to the Eels/Bunnies game the other week and there was a highlights reel of the 09 game at ANZ. Hayne was hugely fired up. When his field goal attempt hit the crossbar he jumped and cursed at the world. There was a shot of him screaming at his forwards to pack a scrum more quickly. He was fully invested in winning the game. He looks like he can't be arsed now. It's so weird.

boxhead

First Grade
He has more natural ability than any other player in the NRL, when you contrast athletic ability and skill. If he was playing in a team that didn't rely solely on him for their attack, he would flourish. He just doesn't have the correct mentality or the footy smarts to put it together, but a good coach can change that.
An article was written in the Telecrap today by Buzz Rothfield that said Hayne "is not a playmaker". 19 line-break assists to sit one behind Benji Marshall, and 9 try-assists in the worst/second-worst attacking team in the competition.
And most people agree that his best attribute is his running game.
I'll be heavily anticipating his return to fullback next year.

Last edited:

gUt

Coach
Then there's his long kicking game. I reckon he can make a go of 6, just needs an offseason training there.

He has more natural ability than any other player in the NRL, when you contrast athletic ability and skill. If he was playing in a team that didn't rely solely on him for their attack, he would flourish. He just doesn't have the correct mentality or the footy smarts to put it together, but a good coach can change that.
An article was written in the Telecrap today by Buzz Rothfield that said Hayne "is not a playmaker". 19 line-break assists to sit one behind Benji Marshall, and 9 try-assists in the worst/second-worst attacking team in the competition.
And most people agree that his best attribute is his running game.
I'll be heavily anticipating his return to fullback next year.

That can't be right. He had 16 before the Manly game. So add the kick that he put through for Horo to score at the end and he's on 17.

17 try assists for someone that has played with back rowers at centre and Hicks, Atkins and Uasale at wing is pretty impressive.

Latest posts