What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Kev gone?

_Johnsy

Referee
I have never heard a former staff member come out & bag a head coach so publicly 2 days after their season finished. Is this Brisbane leaking to soften the blow when they sack golden boy Kev?

Somehow I don’t think tears at a presser will help Kev, the offensive has begun. This smells a bit like Brisbane starting the PR war to soften the blow of sacking the golden boy.

My way or the highway

'His way or the highway': Former Broncos trainer slams Kevvie, accuses players of being '110 per cent' too pampered.​

A former Broncos trainer has accused Kevin Walters of lining the club with ‘yes men’, as pressure mounts on the embattled coach.

Fresh off a 2023 grand final appearance, the Broncos have fallen spectacularly from grace in 2024, slumping to 12th on the ladder with a 10-14 record and finishing the year with a disastrous 50-12 loss to minor premiers the Storm.

Speaking on 4BC Radio, Mark ‘Chopper’ Burgess, who was part of the club’s high performance team in 2022 and previously worked under Wayne Bennett at the Broncos between 1998 and 2004, compared Walters unfavourably to the master coach, saying he doesn’t like to be challenged by staffers.

“You just don’t argue with the boss,” Burgess said of his time under Walters.

“I’ve had so many arguments with Wayne Bennett, Michael Maguire, Ricky Stuart and Steve Kearney, all great coaches. “They want to have a different perspective. They want a trainer in their crew to say, ‘Listen, that might not be right. Can we do it this way?’

“Whereas with Kevvie’s crew, it was his way or the highway.

“I love Kev. He’s a great bloke. He’s a terrific guy. I know his wife and his kids, but the key is leadership.

“The key is this is the boss, this is what we do, they delegate when they have to.

“If the Broncos don’t get some honesty, then you’re going to get the same results.

“Kevvie’s got big problems with the people around him. I don’t know that that’s very supportive for Kevvie, he hasn’t had great support.

Burgess was also scathing of the Broncos’ set-up off-field, claiming players are overly pampered with excessive staff and immaculate facilities a far cry from what the premiership-winning teams of yesteryear worked with.

“Two biggest things that shocked me [while working at the Broncos in 2022]… one, there were way too many mirrors in the gym; and two, you weren’t allowed to sweat, and if you did, you carried a towel with you.

“This palatial gymnasium they have looks more like a hairdressing salon.

“Wayne Bennett won many titles in a rusted old gym beside the bowls club. I walked into the Broncos in 2022 and there’s a trainer per player doing something that justified their existence and position there.

“I asked that quite regularly and was mowed down for my comments. It was a bit of a power trip for a lot of their staff.

“They have this high-performance centre worth millions and millions of dollars, it’s the benchmark in the competition… clearly it’s not showing on the field.”

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
dabc24cca247895a4d0b8fc1a786a946

Saxon

Bench
I have never heard a former staff member come out & bag a head coach so publicly 2 days after their season finished. Is this Brisbane leaking to soften the blow when they sack golden boy Kev?

Somehow I don’t think tears at a presser will help Kev, the offensive has begun. This smells a bit like Brisbane starting the PR war to soften the blow of sacking the golden boy.

My way or the highway

'His way or the highway': Former Broncos trainer slams Kevvie, accuses players of being '110 per cent' too pampered.​

A former Broncos trainer has accused Kevin Walters of lining the club with ‘yes men’, as pressure mounts on the embattled coach.

Fresh off a 2023 grand final appearance, the Broncos have fallen spectacularly from grace in 2024, slumping to 12th on the ladder with a 10-14 record and finishing the year with a disastrous 50-12 loss to minor premiers the Storm.

Speaking on 4BC Radio, Mark ‘Chopper’ Burgess, who was part of the club’s high performance team in 2022 and previously worked under Wayne Bennett at the Broncos between 1998 and 2004, compared Walters unfavourably to the master coach, saying he doesn’t like to be challenged by staffers.

“You just don’t argue with the boss,” Burgess said of his time under Walters.

“I’ve had so many arguments with Wayne Bennett, Michael Maguire, Ricky Stuart and Steve Kearney, all great coaches. “They want to have a different perspective. They want a trainer in their crew to say, ‘Listen, that might not be right. Can we do it this way?’

“Whereas with Kevvie’s crew, it was his way or the highway.

“I love Kev. He’s a great bloke. He’s a terrific guy. I know his wife and his kids, but the key is leadership.

“The key is this is the boss, this is what we do, they delegate when they have to.

“If the Broncos don’t get some honesty, then you’re going to get the same results.

“Kevvie’s got big problems with the people around him. I don’t know that that’s very supportive for Kevvie, he hasn’t had great support.

Burgess was also scathing of the Broncos’ set-up off-field, claiming players are overly pampered with excessive staff and immaculate facilities a far cry from what the premiership-winning teams of yesteryear worked with.

“Two biggest things that shocked me [while working at the Broncos in 2022]… one, there were way too many mirrors in the gym; and two, you weren’t allowed to sweat, and if you did, you carried a towel with you.

“This palatial gymnasium they have looks more like a hairdressing salon.

“Wayne Bennett won many titles in a rusted old gym beside the bowls club. I walked into the Broncos in 2022 and there’s a trainer per player doing something that justified their existence and position there.

“I asked that quite regularly and was mowed down for my comments. It was a bit of a power trip for a lot of their staff.

“They have this high-performance centre worth millions and millions of dollars, it’s the benchmark in the competition… clearly it’s not showing on the field.”
“I love Kev. He’s a great bloke. He’s a terrific guy. I know his wife and his kids"

Love him so much you're dissing him in the media.

gerg

Juniors
Has the board thrown their backing behind him yet?

I think I speak for all neutrals, just give him another year or two please.

shear_joy9

Coach
Kevvie is a horrendous coach and I’m sure has some form of intellectual disability. I hope he remains coaching for years to come though because otherwise he slot straight back into Fox’s commentary and panel shows. People think blocker, Cronk, Mal, Tallis etc are bad well Kevvie was 10 levels worse.

Fangs

Coach
Alarm bells ringing on this story. Ex-staff member with an axe to grind?

Regardless, *the coach* will be sacked within a month if the Broncos have any balls. They are just wasting time keeping him on.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Alarm bells ringing on this story. Ex-staff member with an axe to grind?
This.

Not allowed to sweat in the gym? He lost me there.

The media will go to anyone who gives them the right quotes, even if they're horse shit or without basis.

Kevvy very likely does suck. But where was this guy's quotes last year? The year after this stuff he says went on in 2022, the Broncs did everything but win a title.

Latest posts