What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Latrell Mitchell overrated?

As thread title

• Yes

Votes: 66 81.5%
  • No

Votes: 15 18.5%

• Total voters

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Tallis asked Toovey this question on 360 a few minutes ago and thought it could make for an interesting discussion.

I think Mitchell tends to be a tad overrated. Definitely a good player if not a c0ckhead, but the way the media talk him up, you would think he's already at Inglis level. He's not. He's a good strong ball runner with an impressive brain explosion just waiting to spring up out of nowhere like the hit on Manu that broke his face.

If he proves instrumental in winning either an Origin series or a Grand Final, then you can probably put him in the frame as an amazing player. Right now though? Mmmmmm.

mozza91

Coach
Maybe abit. Gus saying he’s not a big game player is ridiculous. Has he never seen him play Origin?

10$ Ferret

Staff member
An amazing natural talent. Quite lazy and gets advice from a lot of people with their own interests at heart and not his.
Anyone that has had anything to do with him will tell you he is a good kid. While probably the best player at Souths he is probably the 3rd best FB there.
The media is very much the problem here rather than LM himself.

I think Gus and 10 minute Tallis are both a lot more overrated

Saxon

Bench
Bellamy is rumoured to have once said;
"If Greg Inglis had the work ethic of Billy Slater he'd be the best player in the world, but he doesn't and that's why Billy is fullback".

Latrell is big, strong and very talented, but I think the same sentiment holds true. If he had the work ethic of say Teddy or Turbo he'd be one of the all time greats. But at the moment - despite what many of the commentators say - he's not.

soc123_au

Staff member
Purely as a fullback he is massively overrated by sections of the media, they bang on like he is an immortal. He just doesn't have the motor or temperament. Not a knock on him, you either have it or you don't.

As to what he brings as an NRL player he is just about everything you could want. As a Rugby League fan you just want to watch him play. Supremely talented, just about the right amount of swagger, awesome interacting with the fans. A few brain farts aside, I get the impression he is a genuinely good person as well. He won me over after a game at Penrith I think in 2021. We just beat them and he was a non event from being taken out of the game tactically, right on full time he got injured and kicked the ball in frustration. It hit a woman in the crowd (Panthers supporter from memory) He was straight over there, gave her a hug and had what looked like a really nice exchange with her, you could tell by his face he was genuine as f**k in trying to make it right with her. Pretty good from a bloke that just copped a few week injury and lost a game.

I'd like to see him at 6 when Cody gives it away. Gets rid of the issues he has at 1 with not a lot of downside.

yobbo84

First Grade
Literally won the Roosters the comp in 2019 with his ridiculous flick pass to put Tupou away for Tedesco's match winner. Dominated Origin and Tests.

Down to 11 men vs the Roosters last year in an elimination final and basically just said "give me the ball', scored and changed the whole match.

But sure, not a big game player. Overrated.

Exsilium

First Grade
If your own coach has to front the media to discuss how to get the best out of a “superstar”, it probably means he’s flakier than a sun scorched scalp.

Is he talented? Absolutely. Overrated? Not by my definition but he is frustrating to watch. You can be a big game player but without the ability to tie it together every week and lead with effort , you’re just a bloody good player “on your day”

King hit

Coach
Tallis asked Toovey this question on 360 a few minutes ago and thought it could make for an interesting discussion.

I think Mitchell tends to be a tad overrated. Definitely a good player if not a c0ckhead, but the way the media talk him up, you would think he's already at Inglis level. He's not. He's a good strong ball runner with an impressive brain explosion just waiting to spring up out of nowhere like the hit on Manu that broke his face.

If he proves instrumental in winning either an Origin series or a Grand Final, then you can probably put him in the frame as an amazing player. Right now though? Mmmmmm.
He has done all those things and played a part in Australia's world cup winning team

Chimp

Bench
Maybe abit. Gus saying he’s not a big game player is ridiculous. Has he never seen him play Origin?
Not that I’m one to support Gus, but what he said is actually being misrepresented, I think deliberately, but the Newcorp journos.

Gus didn’t say he wasn’t a big game player, or that he’s overrated - Gus actually said words to the effect of ‘he’s dangerous when the ball comes to him, and he loves it with the crowd etc, but he’s yet to do it for Souths in a Prelim Final or at the business end of the season’, which is correct.

Gus IMO was just pointing out that whilst people are getting giddy about Souths, and Latrell, they’re nowhere near the Panthers or Broncos as things stand, and whilst Latrell is a beast, he’s yet to perform at the business end of the season for Souths…. Which is all absolutely correct.

I didn’t internet it as anti-Souths or anti-Latrell when I watched it, but Newscorp have reported it that way, and started asking players/coaches questions about Gus’ opinion, but using their interpretation of what he said.
They’ve also done it with his comments about Brisbane - he simply pointed out that their defence and consistency isn’t as good as Penriths - it wasn’t a dig at the Broncos, more back slapping for Penrith, but the questions to the Brisbane coaches were all around ‘Gus has said you can’t win it’ - that wasn’t what he actually said.

Danish

Referee
I sometimes like to imagine how mad gutho must get whenever he thinks about Mitchell.

poor bugger trains the house down every year, works his guts out to be the fittest, hardest working fullback in the comp. Has probably trained 6 days a week for a decade honing his craft. But no matter what he does he’ll never be as good as latrell. Every season forever resigned to being outplayed by a fat, lazy, but supremely gifted man.

latrell is the Homer to Gutho’s Frank Grimes.

latrell isn’t overrated. He is an underachiever at times but he certainly is not overrated.