What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Latrell Mitchell overrated?

As thread title

• Yes

Votes: 70 82.4%
  • No

Votes: 15 17.6%

• Total voters

Munky

Coach
I think he is rated about right.

Brilliant attacking player who can make something out of nothing.

Belongs in all the highlight reels.

However nobody rates his off the ball work.

gUt

Coach
You can tell Souths have been missing him. He would not be fullback in any team I'm coaching though. I don't think he's overrated as such but certainly yet to live up to his promise. I like him.

Valheru

Coach
Literally won the Roosters the comp in 2019 with his ridiculous flick pass to put Tupou away for Tedesco's match winner. Dominated Origin and Tests.

Down to 11 men vs the Roosters last year in an elimination final and basically just said "give me the ball', scored and changed the whole match.

But sure, not a big game player. Overrated.
Beat me to it

He was also a top performer in the whole 2018 finals series and the 2017 QF against Brisbane he launched James Roberts in to orbit to score the match winner.

If anything he plays better in the bigger games and his issue (at full back) is consistency over a whole season.

Unfortunately for him his souths career will always be compared to his roosters one which I think is unfair as it was never likely he would exceed that success with 3 premierships at souths. If he gets one there amid regular finals appearances that is a fair return on investment. He arguably did cost them a premiership in 2021 with his brain explosion on Manu (don't tell Penrith fans though).

Munky

Coach
Beat me to it

He was also a top performer in the whole 2018 finals series and the 2017 QF against Brisbane he launched James Roberts in to orbit to score the match winner.

If anything he plays better in the bigger games and his issue (at full back) is consistency over a whole season.

Unfortunately for him his souths career will always be compared to his roosters one which I think is unfair as it was never likely he would exceed that success with 3 premierships at souths. If he gets one there amid regular finals appearances that is a fair return on investment. He arguably did cost them a premiership in 2021 with his brain explosion on Manu (don't tell Penrith fans though).

Latrell is 1/8 as a Souths player against Penrith.

Going past twelve points twice.

Cleary has his number.

So I'd love to hear that argument about 2021.

Valheru

Coach
Latrell is 1/8 as a Souths player against Penrith.

Going past twelve points twice.

Cleary has his number.

So I'd love to hear that argument about 2021.
We will never know and no Penrith fan is going to entertain the possibility, I get that

At the end of the day Penrith had injuries in that finals series and won the GF by 2 points, I don't think it is an extreme opinion to suggest latrell makes 2+ points difference and/or could have come up with something to break the game open.

Speaking of Cleary, if Latrell played and Cleary didn't and souths won by 2 points, you would probably wonder what if wouldn't you? as I'm sure you would feel certain Cleary makes up the 2 points.

Blues Riff

Bench
lol 2021?
Isn't that the year that Latrell played us in Dubbo and they conceded 56 points.
We love it when he plays.

Munky

Coach
We will never know and no Penrith fan is going to entertain the possibility, I get that

At the end of the day Penrith had injuries in that finals series and won the GF by 2 points, I don't think it is an extreme opinion to suggest latrell makes 2+ points difference and/or could have come up with something to break the game open.

Speaking of Cleary, if Latrell played and Cleary didn't and souths won by 2 points, you would probably wonder what if wouldn't you? as I'm sure you would feel certain Cleary makes up the 2 points.

Nope, with Latrell available Penrith win game one of the finals and South's get reamed by the Storm in the PF.

Penrith likely lose the GF against the Storm since Welch doesn't go off injured early and Bellamy's f**ked team selection of Grant/Hynes on the bench doesn't have the same impact.

Frailty

First Grade
Yes and no. Definitely one of the most dangerous players in the game, however I feel like he is too easily shutdown when against the stronger teams. Prefer him at centre, as he can definitely be found out of position at fullback.

That being said, Gus' comments are trying to distract from the awful job he has been doing at the Bulldogs.

soc123_au

Staff member
He arguably did cost them a premiership in 2021 with his brain explosion on Manu (don't tell Penrith fans though).
This makes me laugh. He is 1 & 8 vs Penrith since going to Souths, the 1 was off the back of a good final 5 minutes playing throw and hope targeting Jeamon Salmon in the centres.

I love Latrell as a player and what he brings to the game, but in the 1 jersey he is our bitch and it's been proven time and time again. Apart from the win this year they have matched against us much better with Blake Taffe playing and Latrell in the stands. If anything, without his brain explosion we win that game more comfortably.

For confirmation watch Leota take his soul in last years prelim.

snickers007

Juniors
I'm really torn on Latrell.

On one hand, he's absolutely devastating when he inserts himself in the game. He can turn a game on it's head with a single touch.
On the other hand, his involvements in a match are far too sporadic - with some games it takes him over 20mins to even take a run.

I often think his game-breaking ability is so high because he only bothers to involve himself 10 times a match. I'd love to see him put together a handful of 80min performances, where he has 20+ touches just to know that he actually has it in him.

Like others, I honestly don't think he's a fullback.
Certainly his best attacking position is probably fullback, as it allows him to inject himself on either side of the field with a bit of space.
Defensively I don't see the urgency or hustle of guys like Gutherson and Edwards.

I'm also unsure if the circus that follows him is productive to a high-performing team environment. We've certainly seen times where he has channeled all the noise into a powerhouse performances - but often it just seems to distract everyone else.

TL;DR, great individual player when he wants to be. Wouldn't want him on my team. Would love to get a decent sports psychologist into his head and unlock his true potential.

Valheru

Coach
This makes me laugh. He is 1 & 8 vs Penrith since going to Souths, the 1 was off the back of a good final 5 minutes playing throw and hope targeting Jeamon Salmon in the centres.

I love Latrell as a player and what he brings to the game, but in the 1 jersey he is our bitch and it's been proven time and time again. Apart from the win this year they have matched against us much better with Blake Taffe playing and Latrell in the stands. If anything, without his brain explosion we win that game more comfortably.

For confirmation watch Leota take his soul in last years prelim.
Meh

I'm not convinced and as a roosters fan I have no interest in souths ever winning another comp

I just don't believe he doesn't make a positive difference to that side in that game. I really don't care what has happened in every other game he has faced your mob.

soc123_au

Staff member
Meh

I'm not convinced and as a roosters fan I have no interest in souths ever winning another comp

I just don't believe he doesn't make a positive difference to that side in that game. I really don't care what has happened in every other game he has faced your mob.
Fair enough, you'd think he would have managed a positive contribution in the other 8 games, not sure why the 21 GF is any different. He is too easily exposed at fullback with a decent kicking game, Nathans kicking in the 21 GF was a masterclass. We will never know for sure obviously, but with Latrell at 1 that game plays out like the 22 GF and Souths are out of it by oranges imo.

Black Panther

Juniors
Literally won the Roosters the comp in 2019 with his ridiculous flick pass to put Tupou away for Tedesco's match winner. Dominated Origin and Tests.

Down to 11 men vs the Roosters last year in an elimination final and basically just said "give me the ball', scored and changed the whole match.

But sure, not a big game player. Overrated.
Not a big game Fullback.