What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Michael Bevan Overated?

Routy21

Juniors
I Believe Michael Bevan the most overated and boring player in the history of one day cricket! What does everybody else think?

Anonymous

Juniors
Yes, I think he is a boring player. But his record would not deem him over-rated. Sometimes however he is more protective of his average than he is of winning a game for Australia.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Michael Bevan? overated :? ????

Sh*t no, hes probably one of the best one day batsman in the world, how many times has he won Australia games after they were struggling to chase runs or get a decent total??? hundreds of times.

Did you watch the aus Vs Nzl game in the WC, the aus vs eng game in the wc. And what about nearly 8 years he won us a game against West Indies with a four of the last ball.

He averages over 50, so how is he overated.

What kind of a thread is this anyway, I think its stupid.

cheese

Bench
if we needed 80 from 90 balls, with 6 down, there's no other man i'd rather see at the crease.

sure his s/r aint what it used to be, but he's still a great batsmen

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Bevan is not overated.

He is one of the best ODI batasman in the world.

He made a ton last week for NSW and a double ton this weekend (2 days ago). 30 in two weeks, not bad.

He is good enough to be in the Australian Test Team at the moment, but he will not be considered for age and the fact that he has been tried and suspect to the short ball, thanks to the Windies.

He would be a very good prospect to tour India/Sri Lanka because he is a very good player of spin bowling.

Underated BAH...HUMBUG.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Earl said:
Yes, I think he is a boring player. But his record would not deem him over-rated. Sometimes however he is more protective of his average than he is of winning a game for Australia.

:lol:

How many games has he rescued us from what looked like a certain loss?

I can't ever recall Aus losing a game and thinking it was Bevans fault.

Rustay

Juniors
I too think the Bevan is a quality player and would be close to the first name down on the team sheet in a one dayer.

People say he should score faster etc and that we dont need him, but nobody knows what is gonna happen before a game and whether the top order will collapse, which is where there is no1 better than Bevan. He has saved us more times than i can remember, plus his s/r is still pretty darn good.

budz

Juniors
IMO i think Bevan is over rated in ODI's. But i think he is under rated in the longer version of the game.

Anonymous

Juniors
His strike rate of 70-plus is more than sufficient (again, you Aussies are out of touch with reality).

His figures in the one-day game are phenomenal and, over a long period of time, miles better than what anyone else has achieved. And he is a great performer under pressure.

For mine he is the greatest one-day batsman of all time and I would like to hear a coherent argument against this conclusion. I certainly can't come up with one, nor can I understand how someone who can comfortably average well over 50 while striking at 70-plus at international level can't make the test side :?

If there was something about test cricket that would make Bevan ineffective, why haven't opposing one-day sides figured it out and used it against him in the one day game?? Now that a bouncer an over is legal I can hardly see what the big difference is.

wittyz chick

Coach
HE IS SOOOO NOT OVER RATED IF HE WAS SOO OVER RATED WHY DID HE SCORE 216 AGAINST TASMANIA AND PRACTICALLY WIN THE GAME FOR NSW!! he is a great player...and a great teammate

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Not by the test selectors mate. Over looked not over rated.
A quick check of his first class record says it all. This is one player the ACB has not managed well at all. He should have been a test legend. Various reasons as to why he is not, all of whom fall squarely on the ACB and it's mis-management of players

wittyz chick

Coach
he probably hasnt been in the test side because they're looking for 'young players' so what he can still be in the side...if he keeps the form he's going with and he still aint picked then the selectors are blind

kaon

Juniors
Beven is overrated and I think for the good of Australian cricket he should be dropped. In the last 2-3 years he has lost us about 6 matches due to him protecting his average.

I can't stand watching 1dayer's when Martyn and Beven are at the crease together. #-o

El Diablo

Post Whore
kaon said:
Beven is overrated and I think for the good of Australian cricket he should be dropped. In the last 2-3 years he has lost us about 6 matches due to him protecting his average.

I can't stand watching 1dayer's when Martyn and Beven are at the crease together. #-o

We've probably only lost 10 matches in the last 2-3 years. Probably less in the last 2.

More than half our losses are Bevans fault :roll:

aphelion

Juniors
kaon said:

Tr00 dat. When they're in together, it's definitely "go out and get some fresh air" time.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Going all the way back to season 2001/02, which was the the VB series where we missed the finals, Bevan has played in 54 games of which we have won 43 and lost 11. I can really see how Bevan is to blame for 54% of our losses :roll:

Dan Jackson

Juniors
budz said:
IMO i think Bevan is over rated in ODI's. But i think he is under rated in the longer version of the game.

:roll: "Budz" and people who share this ridiculous opinion :shock: . What are you even doing on this page? :? Anyone who thinks what you are saying, and even worse, makes these thoughts public, hasn't really got much of an idea about cricket. :x Have a look at how many games Bevan has almost single handedly won for Australia. Then have a look at how many he has performed well in as well, without starring. :D I'm not too sure how you can say he is over-rated with a record like his, especially when the good judges say he is the best one day player in the world, and up with the likes of Viv Richards, Dean Jones and the like, as best of all time. That's absolute champion status "Budz".
Before you go back to the hockey forum, :) read about some of Australia's greatest one day victories and see who was behind plenty of them.

Latest posts