What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Michael Bevan Overated?

El Diablo

Post Whore
kaon said:
Twice last season and a couple of times in the South Africa/New Zealand tri-series. They’re off the top off my head and I can't be bothered looking up the numerous other occasions.

Maybe if you made a greater effort to be more specific in your summations I could put in the time in the next few weeks.

C'mon be more specific. We played a shitload of games last season and you can't even name the games?

I was a lot more specific than you.

I mentioned games, venues and the opponents. You came up with NOTHING.

El Diablo

Post Whore
And you said h'es lost at least 6 in the last 2 years or so so it can't be too hard seeing we only lost 11.

eastsrule

Bench
Bevan is without doubt not over rated. As shown by his stats and the amount of times he has excelled under immense pressure.

What makes him even better is he is reliable in the field, quick runner between wickets, can hit the ball hard, if recquired and a handy left arm chinamen lol.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Routy21 said:
If Bevan was any good he would be in the test side! Have a look at his test stats! Pathetic

Routy, let me remind you of your original question.

Routy21 said:
I Believe Michael Bevan the most overated and boring player in the history of one day cricket! What does everybody else think?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Those who think Bevan is overated have never watched a one-day international in their lives. He has been one of the best in the last 10 years.

Dont forget El Duque, Bevan made that 200 run partnership with S Waugh against South Africa at Colonial Stadium a few years ago.

They both made centuries.

El Diablo

Post Whore
PARRA_FAN said:
Those who think Bevan is overated have never watched a one-day international in their lives. He has been one of the best in the last 10 years.

Dont forget El Duque, Bevan made that 200 run partnership with S Waugh against South Africa at Colonial Stadium a few years ago.

They both made centuries.

Yes, there has been many he helped save us in. Those few I mentioned just popped into my head at the time. I also wish to emphasize he helped win us win us those matches as cricket is a team game comprised of many things. Kaon would lead you to believe that ONE man is responsible for 6 of our last 11 losses. Whilst trying to con people into this he has failed to mention one game as any form of backup to his statement.

Kaon can not dispute the 54% loss ratio seeing he stated

kaon said:
In the last 2-3 years he has lost us about 6 matches due to him protecting his average.

And as I pointed out earlier since the 01/02 VB series Bevan has played in 54 games of which we have won 43 and lost 11.

It shouldn't be too hard to look up those results and show us how Bevan single handedly cost us the games protecting his average.

aqua_duck

Coach
knights03 said:
IMO Bevan is not overated, but he isn't the best OD batsman in the world. He only has a high average because he's been not out about 60 times. He would be behind Tendulkar, Lara, Jayasuriya, Gilchrist.
I disagree with what you say about Bevan's average, I mean sure the not outs don't harm his average in any way but you also got to consider that he bats down the order at 5 or 6 so that probably doesn't help his averge either.
If your team is in trouble and chasing a big total, there's no batsman I'd rather have, the lower order batsman also seem to lift when batting withy him.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Bevan, over-rated? no way. Like many others have said, what other man would you want coming in at number 6 to bat with the tail (only steve waugh is as good with the tail) and guide Australia home to victory.

New Years day 1996 was the best inngings I have ever seen Bevan play. So calm and cool as Australia slumped to 6/38 chasing 173 I think it was and playing out the last two overs with McGrath at the other end was brilliant. (http://www.redaxe.com/ausdb/ausm1028.htm)

I must say however, although he may be boring to a lot of you people because he doesn't slash and dash like a Gilchrist or Mark Waugh at his best, the way Bevan plays the one day game is second to none. Run a ball stuff in one day cricket is just as effective as big hitting.

aqua_duck

Coach
Routy21 said:
If Bevan was any good he would be in the test side! Have a look at his test stats! Pathetic
well if I'm not mistaken Hayden and Waugh also sturggled easly in their test careers?
Bevan's 1st class average is in the mid 50's, which isn't bad for someone who can't crack the test side.

El Diablo

Post Whore
aqua_duck said:
Routy21 said:
well if I'm not mistaken Hayden and Waugh also sturggled easly in their test careers?
Bevan's 1st class average is in the mid 50's, which isn't bad for someone who can't crack the test side.

Go to the 1st post of this topic and read his question. He's off on another tangent now.

aqua_duck

Coach
El Duque said:
aqua_duck said:
Routy21 said:

Go to the 1st post of this topic and read his question. He's off on another tangent now.
oh well, you got to pity him

bronnie34

Juniors
There is no way in the world Bevan is over rated, he is a true champion of the one day game. I will never forget the brillance of his batting on new years day 1996 against the windies. He has done the same thing on numerous occasions and I believe will continue to do so despite how he has batted the last two one day games.
To anyone that thinks bevan has cost us games over the years, it is not one person that losses cricket matches, it is a team sport and if other people had done what they are supposed to do then the team wouldn't be in a losing situation.

Bevan is the Best One Day Batman in the World!

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Thats what people were saying about Bevan in the 2001/02 series, and the next thing you know he got a hundred that won us the game. So he can struggle for the first few games and then get some runs when needed.

He'll fight back.