What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Milford Barba 2.0?

Edwahu

Bench
Barba struggled for a few seasons to live up to the hype before blitzing it. Same with Thurston. I still think he will kill it at some stage, whether at fullback or 5/8th.

legend

Coach
Brisbane's pack is soft, old and ineffective. Milford will struggle in either position IMO.

legend

Coach
Sure, but being belted in attack and defence could rattle your confidence pretty quick when there is pressure and massive expectation from the games biggest franchise and inbred fan base.

I face this type of pressure everyday going to work, but I am older and ultimately more successful. Of course, I don't work with inbred Broncos fans, which is a blessing.

Kiwi

First Grade
know it's only early but Milford looked completely lost and looks far too small to play five eighth in today's game. Will Bennett persevere or switch him to fullback?

He was completely ineffective against the Bunnies and it reminded me of Barba's time in in Brisbane and his debut for the Sharks last night.

Brisbane's pack is soft, old and ineffective. Milford will struggle in either position IMO.

It's only round 1. To be honest Bennett picked the wrong forward make up, especially in terms of the bench and also picked the wrong wingers IMHO.

Our wingers should have been Oates and Vidot giving us two players who can get us on the front foot early in tackle counts, we struggled in the first couple of play the balls of each set, something we didn't do last year with Vidot smashing it up. Whitchurch and Dodds should never have been selected IMHO, Ofahengaue and Nikorima should have been. By adding Oates, Vidot and Ofahengaue to the side we would have has the size needed to match Souths and Nikorima to come on and add spark.

As for Milford, the kid needs time, he isn't going to be an overnight success in the 6, but he will be a success. But people have a different opinion of that.

I can't wait to see the make up of the side for round 2, will be interesting to see the side and how they respond ( especially those in the line of fire ) to Bennett's public spray and honest assessment of the side.

Kiwi

First Grade
Sure, but being belted in attack and defence could rattle your confidence pretty quick when there is pressure and massive expectation from the games biggest franchise and inbred fan base.

I face this type of pressure everyday going to work, but I am older and ultimately more successful. Of course, I don't work with inbred Broncos fans, which is a blessing.

Your boss runs 100kg+ secondrowers at you while you work? Sucks to be you.

Bronco18

Juniors

The problem with most analogies is that they are terrible. Like this one.

bottle

Coach
People are right in saying it's only Round 1. Too early to be writing off players/teams just yet.
I'll wait till next week to make my definitive assessments for the remainder of the year.

I know it's only early but I reckon we'll see either Nikorima or Boyd at 6 and Milford back to fullback for the Bronco's at some point this year.

He looked completely lost on Thursday night.

Kiwi

First Grade
I know it's only early but I reckon we'll see either Nikorima or Boyd at 6 and Milford back to fullback for the Bronco's at some point this year.

He looked completely lost on Thursday night.
I think people going "oh f**k" and eating humble pie is more likely when Hunt and Milford start to click as a halves pairing. It may not happen 100% this year and I will be happy with a step forward each game with the odd step back as long as over time it's mostly forward which i think it woll be.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I just don't see the need to force Milford into 5/8 where he has never been very good. The Broncos could have an excellent fullback but seem desperate for a sub-par half.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Said it last week and I'll say it again. Play the best players in their natural position. If that means we have to play a 'possibly not ready' Nikorima at 5/8th so be it. Milford should be fullback, and he should be when Boyd comes back too.

--Storm--

Juniors
I don't really know what he done at Raiders to get hailed the next big thing, more hype then anything.

Least Barba almost single handly won Bulldogs a premiership.

--Storm--

Juniors
Said it last week and I'll say it again. Play the best players in their natural position. If that means we have to play a 'possibly not ready' Nikorima at 5/8th so be it. Milford should be fullback, and he should be when Boyd comes back too.

Boyd was a waste of money considering how much fullback depth they already had in the squad, should have spent the money on a big forward or another playmaker to play beside Hunt, Bennett made the same mistake at Newcastle, Newcastle had Gidley in the form of his career they didn't need Boyd.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Wayne's lovechild is guaranteed the fb spot so he has to make a go of 5/8th. Sink or swim for milf, hopefully they give him more of a chance then they gave barba.