What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Is Ricky Stuart the most overrated coach ever?

gUt

Coach
Meanwhile Sam Williams yo-yo like first grade career (up to NRL, back down to Reggies, Up to NRL, back down to reggies) continues... his confidence levels would be no better than Cornish's. As soon as the Raiders lose 3 on the trot, Williams will be back to reggies and Cornish back in first grade...Sticky will say "I wanted Mitch to go back and work on a few things and to his credit, he's done that and now he gets another chance" and so on and so on...

Nah it will be McCrone's turn :lol:

nick87

Coach
I hope he goes to Manly tbh.

He's a talented kid. Needs a good coach to help him transition into first grade. Hope he finds his way to Melbourne or the Broncos. I'd say Souths but we don't have the room for him. Maybe once Ricky shatters his confidence and his price tag hits rock bottom.

Me too
I want the kid to go somewhere he can be successful

Stuart flat out can not develop halves, merkin needs to focus on buying an established one.
This situation with Cornish is f**king ridiculous IMO

nick87

Coach
Me too
I want the kid to go somewhere he can be successful

Stuart flat out can not develop halves, merkin needs to focus on buying an established one.
This situation with Cornish is f**king ridiculous IMO

Meanwhile Sam Williams yo-yo like first grade career (up to NRL, back down to Reggies, Up to NRL, back down to reggies) continues... his confidence levels would be no better than Cornish's. As soon as the Raiders lose 3 on the trot, Williams will be back to reggies and Cornish back in first grade...Sticky will say "I wanted Mitch to go back and work on a few things and to his credit, he's done that and now he gets another chance" and so on and so on...

Spot on.
Jesus Christ, i cant tell you how pissed off this has made me

The only thing that could possible give me the shit more is if this situation actually happens. Williams is a pretty talented young half himself, i dont really care one way or the other between Williams and Cornish, i personally favor Cornish, i think he's the better player and talent but who ever the coach picks, he needs to be patient, give the kid time to grow and instill him with confidence

Not a single young half in the game hits the league and immediately looks like a star. Not f**king one. They always begin inconsistently. You're not going to get production out of young, inexperienced halves when they've got a coach who has no confidence in them is and is looking for any reason to drop the hammer.

Cornish to me has looked like a guy who is scared to play his natural game, scared to make mistakes, because he's worried about losing his job. Turns out that fear was completely justified. Ridiculous

I said at the start of the year Cornish should be given most of the year before his position is even in question, didnt happen. Now that a move has been made to Sam Williams, he should be given the time not afforded to Cornish to make the spot his own.

If i were Cornish, id be on to my manager and asking him to start finding my new club.

I reckon Thurston would struggle to play well behind a pack with the likes of Tilse, Buttriss, Soliola and FPN in it.

The Raiders back row at least could be really great but Ricky has Soliola playing second row and the best back rower at the club, Papalii, is playing prop. :crazy:

Last edited:

Paullyboy

Coach
Soliola is not an issue. He's been very good.

As for Cornish - I really, really expected big things from him based on what we'd heard. But he is so unpolished it's not funny. He may become decent at some point, but his passing game is atrocious and his kicking game isn't much better.

He has a long way to go before he's first grade standard, and it pains me to say that as I was so hopeful he was our solution.

nick87

Coach
Soliola is not an issue. He's been very good.

As for Cornish - I really, really expected big things from him based on what we'd heard. But he is so unpolished it's not funny. He may become decent at some point, but his passing game is atrocious and his kicking game isn't much better.

He has a long way to go before he's first grade standard, and it pains me to say that as I was so hopeful he was our solution.

He's got 8 games to his name. He isnt anything right now. Go back and watch Andrew Johns in his first 8 games, he was any good either.

Stuart went into this year telling us it was an open competition for the halfback spot, a position Cornish seemingly won given he was handed the job... now 4 weeks later, after some losses in which we've defended like pigs and our forwards have been SOFT as shit, the rookie half back is scape goated?

That's horrible coaching, it reeks if indecision and desperation. And it's not like this is his first rodeo. We've got a decade long history of Stuart doing EXACTLY this to young halves.

Forget Cornish, forget Williams, and forget young Lachlan Croker... those guys dont stand a chance with Stuart. The man needs to focus on targetting a Sezer or Hodkinson etc, and get them here, otherwise we dont have a shot.

Stuart needs a finished product because he cant develop halves at all.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Still hasn't beaten a top eight side this year. Perfect opportunity this week to prove he's got the chops to lead his side past a good outfit.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
I might have to take back my sticky derision. His buys have been fantastic and that's the best game ive seen us play for a long time

mongoose

Coach
If we get Sezer next year I think we are going to be hard to beat. I'm really liking the team Stuart is building though, not super skilful but very strong ball runners all over the pack.

Latest posts