What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Is Ricky Stuart the most overrated coach ever?

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Yea hodgson and Austin have completely changed the team. Fpn, sia and waqa are icing on the cake. If you rate the top 10 buys this season they would all feature, maybe even take out the top 5.

POPEYE

Coach
Sticky is doing a better job than expected by almost everyone, he appears to be galvanising the team albeit by means of a Chicken Little impersonation but nevertheless doing the best with what he has to offer.

I'm not convinced he is anything more than a Laurie Nichols, which in itself is admirable, how he can claim to analyse from ground level is bemusing. Methinks Sticky wants to defuse opinion that Austin is the key influence in the Raiders Revival, no matter however, it's f**king great to see the Green a Machine once more

legend

Coach
If you look back since he has taken over, his moves have been shrewd. Half the team have been shown the door with all the plodders gone. Cornish was given a shot and showed he is not the man to partner Austin in the halves.

I do feel for Sam Williams. He's been really good since being recalled and he compliments Austin well as he plays more of a passing game and has a better kicking game than Austin.

Stuart has jettisoned in the space of a season:

Campese
McCrone
White
TLL
Shillington
Buttriss
Tilse

Gone are the plodders and underachievers and now young guys like Nicholls and Kennedy are showing their potential (with Page knocking on the door) but competition for spots remains fierce. I don't know that Furner ever had the resolve to make the necessary cuts and attract quality signings in his time as coach.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Sticky is doing a better job than expected by almost everyone, he appears to be galvanising the team albeit by means of a Chicken Little impersonation but nevertheless doing the best with what he has to offer.

I'm not convinced he is anything more than a Laurie Nichols, which in itself is admirable, how he can claim to analyse from ground level is bemusing. Methinks Sticky wants to defuse opinion that Austin is the key influence in the Raiders Revival, no matter however, it's f**king great to see the Green a Machine once more

Josh hodgson has been the key influence in the raiders revival. Not saying a running 5/8th isn't great but the raiders haven't had a good hooker in decades.

Young baptiste has also been quite important. It shows the value of having a good bench player. It was almost comical how far the raiders would drop when hodgson was off the field.

typicalfan

Coach
Good service from dummy half makes a huge difference.

Let's compare Hodkinson and Reynolds now they have an inexperienced hooker.

legend

Coach
Lichaa has been probably the Bulldogs most consistent player this year. He's not the reason the Dogs halves are playing so shit.

nick87

Coach
Agreed with others, Josh Hodgson is honestly the best signing any club made this year
The upgrade he provides compared to Glenn effing Buttriss is the biggest contributor to a teams success so far this year. He is phenomenal

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Haha. The butts.

He ran like a demented mole (anyone remember that line?)

Seriously he was terrible. Only marginally better then tracks waddell

thorson1987

Coach
Agreed with others, Josh Hodgson is honestly the best signing any club made this year
The upgrade he provides compared to Glenn effing Buttriss is the biggest contributor to a teams success so far this year. He is phenomenal

Having Baptiste as a back up is quite handy aswell

POPEYE

Coach
Josh hodgson has been the key influence in the raiders revival. Not saying a running 5/8th isn't great but the raiders haven't had a good hooker in decades.

Young baptiste has also been quite important. It shows the value of having a good bench player. It was almost comical how far the raiders would drop when hodgson was off the field.

Granted Hodgson is probably the best signing but I'm not really into 'best', I believe in horses for courses. If Austin didn't get the service he needs he doesn't steer the team . . . and maybe I should give Sticky more credit for what Austin does. He might just be a slow learner starting to put it all together

My man Baptiste . . . he's as good a buy as anyone

Red Bear

Referee
The consistency of his service needs some work.
Part of the adjustment to the amount of defence he has to do I suspect.

I also agree that the Raiders recuitment has looked very good at this stage. Added a tougher edge rather than just having size.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Haha. By far the greatest sports game.

Anyways it's surprising how few people actually know Hodgson. The kid is carving it up...how is he the third rated 9 for England.