What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Is Ricky Stuart the most overrated coach ever?

skeepe

Immortal
It has to be the all time greatest coaching performance TBH. How Ricky got his Raiders over the line yesterday away from home with all those injuries and rep players out against a full strength top 4 team is beyond me. He even overcame a systematic attempt at cheating by the NRL.

He is a legend.
f**k you're one salty motherf**ker.

You could turn any body of fresh water into Lake Eyre just by dipping your toe into it.

Valheru

Coach
f**k you're one salty motherf**ker.

You could turn any body of fresh water into Lake Eyre just by dipping your toe into it.

Thanks for that skeepe.

Whilst i have your attention, i am interested in your thoughts on a key player in yesterday's game.

Henry Perenara is his name (of the raiders).

The Great Dane

First Grade
I know every bodies just going to say that I'm just a one eyed Raiders fan, but Rickys' not wrong on this one, It's been a tactic that has been consistently used against our team since the Sharks first did it in the semi last year.

You can't see it unless you're at the game because most of the time they don't show the defensive line on TV, but teams will stand 8 meters or so back (more often then not even the players right in front of the ref) and go before the ball is played (normally as our player is placing the ball on the ground, not when it's touched his foot, but sometimes it's even worse) then on top of that they'll add the wrestle to slow the play the ball down (admittedly every team has to deal with the wrestle).
They rely completely on the ref not calling them offside, or calling them offside so rarely that the penalties that they incur are worth it the reward of being able to completely stunt the speed and effectiveness of our attack.

Now don't get me wrong I'm sure other teams are facing similar tactics being used against them (the Warriors seem like a team that this tactic would work really well against), but as I said before with this tactic it's not as obvious because can't really see it in action unless you're at the game because 90% of the time you can't see if the opposition is back on side or if they're going early when watching on TV.

The problem isn't really that teams are using this tactic (or others like it), if you can get away with it why wouldn't you, the problem is with these ideas of the referee controlling the 'flow of the game' and 'interpretations of the rules' that have taken root in the reffing ranks in recent times.
If refs stopped worrying about the flow of the game and just worried about reffing the game this tactic and most of the other rule bending (or outright outlaw) tactics would die out in under month because the penalty would out weigh the reward and coaches would start coaching the players not to bend the rules and guess what, the game would flow just fine.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Everyone knows wrestling and infringing the 10 metres were introduced 10 and 25 years ago respectively by various teams with the foresight of successfully stymieing the Raiders' 2017 mediocre season.

It has to be the all time greatest coaching performance TBH. How Ricky got his Raiders over the line yesterday away from home with all those injuries and rep players out against a full strength top 4 team is beyond me. He even overcame a systematic attempt at cheating by the NRL.

He is a legend.

Legend indeed. Ricky done a lot for the Roosters.

Who could ever forget when he officially invented the fast rushing defence in 2002 and won the comp on the back of that? (...and now teams are using it illegally against us, and "scragging" the crap out of us on the ground)

How could anyone hate Ricky? He once shoulder charged Bucktooth Brett Finch on Mad Monday and blamed him for losing 2 GF's. Now that's a mans man.

blaza88z

Coach
Legend indeed. Ricky done a lot for the Roosters.

Who could ever forget when he officially invented the fast rushing defence in 2002 and won the comp on the back of that? (...and now teams are using it illegally against us, and "scragging" the crap out of us on the ground)

How could anyone hate Ricky? He once shoulder charged Bucktooth Brett Finch on Mad Monday and blamed him for losing 2 GF's. Now that's a mans man.

Bobby after writing the above

PLVFa.jpg

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Ricky is just a very bitter human being.

A good coach, but a bitter human being.
Nah he is just a passionate bloke who goes to bat for his players. He comes across as being quite appreciative of the position he has and gives back a lot imo.

Bitter people generally just wallow in their bitterness rather than do constructive things like starting autism wellbeing foundations.

Generalzod

Immortal
Nah he is just a passionate bloke who goes to bat for his players. He comes across as being quite appreciative of the position he has and gives back a lot imo.

Bitter people generally just wallow in their bitterness rather than do constructive things like starting autism wellbeing foundations.
Who's having a go at him over his excellent work on autism???? It's his coaching ability people are questioning.

Last edited: