What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Is Ricky Stuart the most overrated coach ever?

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Some of the roosters tactics did verge on the cynical. On one attacking raid in particular a rooster player in an offside position battered down a pass where we had a massive overlap.

Now, we obviously do this too but I really think a 5 minute sin bin for cynical penalties like the above should be introduced.

We want attacking footy which means cutting back on some of the deliberate penalties that all sides give away. If the defensive line is shot at the moment it makes sense to just give a penalty away because the reward (resetting the line) outweighs the tiny risk of being sin binned

morley101

Juniors
Every club cheats get over it.. Storm and sharks move from the defensive before the dummy half has touched the ball.
Raiders were very deliberate in slowing down the ruck on Sunday and got pinged for it in the 2nd half.

The Enforcer

Juniors
Great coaching yesterday by Stuart, who's instilled some resilience into our side after the last month of disappointing performances. The refs tried to ref the Roosters back into the game, but we stuck solid and got the win. Great stuff Rick.
Lol just scraped home against a depleted side at home.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Every club cheats get over it.. Storm and sharks move from the defensive before the dummy half has touched the ball.
Raiders were very deliberate in slowing down the ruck on Sunday and got pinged for it in the 2nd half.

I agree, but we weren't slowing it down anymore then the Roosters were and yet we were penalised 7 times and they weren't penalised once in the second half.

My problem isn't that the Roosters cheated, because as you say every team cheats, it's that the teams only cheat because the refs allow them to cheat!

If the refs pulled everything up, every little mistake and penalty no matter how insignificant they may seem in the moment, then these sort of tactics would die almost over night!
Sure we'd probably get a round or so where 50 penalties were given a game, but once the coaches realise that they aren't going to be allowed to get away with it anymore they'll change their tactics and everything will clear up again.

Valheru

Coach
I agree, but we weren't slowing it down anymore then the Roosters were and yet we were penalised 7 times and they weren't penalised once in the second half.

Welcome to our world.

This happens to us most weeks as evidenced by our 10+ year history of consistently receiving the least amount of penalties in the NRL.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Welcome to our world.

This happens to us most weeks as evidenced by our 10+ year history of consistently receiving the least amount of penalties in the NRL.

You've completely missed the point...

Who cares who it's happening too, it's how it's happening that matters (though as an aside, I don't have the time to look this up right now so I could be wrong, but I believe that the statistic is that your team loses the penalty count the most of any team, and not necessarily that your team receives the least penalties, those are two very different things with two very different implications, and it doesn't help your case that your team practically invented and mastered the tactic of intentionally giving away penalties on your own try line as a way to slow down the oppositions speed in the ruck, give your team time to set their defensive line, and forcibly change the flow of momentum in the game, which is one of these tactics that relies on the complicity of the refs (intentional or not on the part of the refs which is what I have a problem with), but as I said that's an aside).

The problem isn't that some teams get a fairer shake then others (which is certainly true in many regards in the competition structure, but not really in this case), it's that these tactics rely on the complicity of the ref (again not necessarily intentional on the refs part) and could be completely avoided simply by using the rule book to it's full extent and every time it's infringed!

All it would take is for the refs to call ever single offside, forward pass, obstruction, etc, etc, every time that they happen instead of letting some go in the interests of the flow of the game and eventually these regressive tactics would die and the flow of the game would go back to normal because the players and more importantly the coaches would realise that these regressive tactics aren't as effective as simply playing the game by the rules!

Add in a couple of changes to the rules around the ruck, such as perhaps a 5 count to get off the tackled attacking player to try and minimise the wrestle and the dominant tactics in the game would become free flowing fast paced football, which everybody agrees is the more entertaining brand.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Clearly Ricky is a love or hate guy.

I am in the love boat.

Has done everything.

Played and coached for Premierships, his State and his Country.

You actually cannot do more.

But hey, from the lounge chair, Monday quarterbacks there is.

Valheru

Coach
Who cares who it's happening too, it's how it's happening that matters (though as an aside, I don't have the time to look this up right now so I could be wrong, but I believe that the statistic is that your team loses the penalty count the most of any team, and not necessarily that your team receives the least penalties, those are two very different things with two very different implications, and it doesn't help your case that your team practically invented and mastered the tactic of intentionally giving away penalties on your own try line as a way to slow down the oppositions speed in the ruck, give your team time to set their defensive line, and forcibly change the flow of momentum in the game, which is one of these tactics that relies on the complicity of the refs (intentional or not on the part of the refs which is what I have a problem with)

I suggest you do look it up because i mean penalties received and it is 100% accurate. Head to the roosters sub forum for full stats on this year if you wish. As an example, we have the worst penalty differential this year despite having the 8th best discipline.

The idea that the roosters gave away penalties on purpose in 2013-2015 to set their line is a myth as well that was completely debunked a couple years back. Stats showed that they more or less gave away the same proportion of penalties deep in defence as other teams. It was just a made up excuse as to why our defence was near impregnable back then.

I do agree with your overall point about refereeing though but i am just pointing out that it is ironic canberra were the victims of it against the club that has had it happen to them most.

blaza88z

Coach
I suggest you do look it up because i mean penalties received and it is 100% accurate. Head to the roosters sub forum for full stats on this year if you wish. As an example, we have the worst penalty differential this year despite having the 8th best discipline.

The idea that the roosters gave away penalties on purpose in 2013-2015 to set their line is a myth as well that was completely debunked a couple years back. Stats showed that they more or less gave away the same proportion of penalties deep in defence as other teams. It was just a made up excuse as to why our defence was near impregnable back then.

I do agree with your overall point about refereeing though but i am just pointing out that it is ironic canberra were the victims of it against the club that has had it happen to them most.

It's just not fair

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
c4jt321.png

The Enforcer

Juniors
My my the overated one has got the team going great guns.
I'm just looking at the ladder and I can't find them anywhere....oh there they are way down there.
Keep up the great work Ricky.
Needs more origin players.
Keep talking him up you Raiders muppets.