What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Is Ricky Stuart the most overrated coach ever?

nick87

Coach
All jokes aside, because of how hated he is as a coach now, he'll never get his due as a player... but Stuart is unquestionably one of the best and most skillful halfbacks to ever lace a boot. Incredible football mind

It's lucky no one ever thought of the 40-20 when he was playing.

BadnMean

Juniors
All jokes aside, because of how hated he is as a coach now, he'll never get his due as a player... but Stuart is unquestionably one of the best and most skillful halfbacks to ever lace a boot. Incredible football mind

His highlights are ridiculous (and I also saw his heyday live as a kid). 30m spiral onto the chest of a sprinting back either side... compare his show & goes & deception on an inside ball vs modern halves just dump inside every play ... kick long, short, bend it, bomb it, go lefties if they commit to the right foot...There hasn't been a better half- recency bias accounted for.

I honestly wonder how he isn't even more furious coaching guys who can't read a game, can only play one side, or can run but not pass or tackle or not kick or vice versa. Ricky could do it all- then Laurie caught the bug & just hung around training extras until he could do it all too... Decent coach but FAR better half.

He was, in my opinion, the best halfback I’d seen until Andrew Johns.

Stuart n Langer is always a natural comparison. Both were awesome and very different styles (ahh … the good old days when players had their own style and a licence to create… much like car makers..not the drones we see much of today…). For me, Stuart was the best in club football by a nose, Langer best in origin by a nose… and Stuart at internationals maybe. They were so even..

But Stuart’s long passing and enormous boot was second to none. He could stretch a defence in all different ways.

Those two, and Johns, are the best 3 halfbacks I’ve seen, with Thurston a whisker behind. In Thurstons favour was longevity, although his last season wasn’t that great. But he was also the “last” of the great playmakers at 7… before the “attack of the drones” that we now see.

Last edited:
E7R58b2VUAAfz4C

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Amazing game of footy BBJF, RL at its finest.
The 03 ashes were also great
3 very close games all won by us
Nearly felt sorry for the lions after the 3rd test..............

Nearly
The commentary is so one eyed it's actually quite funny

mongoose

Coach
Injuries really cruelled Stuart after 1996 he was never the same player after that year and I don't think ever played rep footy again. Daley on the other hand took his game to another level in 95/96, became a great playmaker and not just a great runner.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The Baron of Bruce about to get a raiders team decimated by injury into the finals. That's a bit winning Bathurst in a Suzuki Mightyboy.

Surely he's the favourite for coach of the year.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Team 5 in the finals should get a bye. Surely team 8 will be too embarrassed to front with an, at best, 11-win 13 loss record.

Yes, I am saying that as a fan of a team that is 8 and 15. And I'm bitter as f**k.

BadnMean

Juniors
Team 5 in the finals should get a bye. Surely team 8 will be too embarrassed to front with an, at best, 11-win 13 loss record.

Yes, I am saying that as a fan of a team that is 8 and 15. And I'm bitter as f**k.

It's true. We won't deserve if we get it. And if we win a finals game it'll be a miracle. But I just want it so that others can't have it.