What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Robbie Farah the 2nd greatest hooker of all-time?

Radical Rat

Juniors
No he isn't. Of players I've seen - Walters, Ellias, Buderus, Toovey and Smith are all clearly better modern day hookers. I will concede an argument can be put forward for Farah v Toovey for 5th spot but if the OP needs it explained to him why Boxhead, Backdoor, Bedsy and Smith are better hookers, perhaps Rugby League is not the game for him...

Please, Farah is right up there with all of them and he shits on Toovey. I've seen all their careers.

Apparently everyone "back in the day" was better. It's a load of shit.

dinko

Juniors
Buderus :lol: , Luke, :lol:Ennis:lol::lol::lol:

Credit where credit is due, Robbie Farah has won a premiership with a team that was UNDER the SALARY CAP.

No player has played at a level that Robbie continuously plays at.

He was not apart of a team which was systematically and players knowingly rorting the competition.

Robbie Farah is miles ahead of Smiffy in every facet of the game bar goalkicking.

Let me sign off with a song i made

His signature proved he was a tige farah farah.
He is with wests until he's dead farah farah
His contract shows that he is rich farah farah
Cameron smith is robbies bitch farah farah
Robbie farahs the tigers number #9

beave

Coach
Glad to see there is absolutely no bias towards players from their club in this thread. I don't think i could possibly handle it..……

Buderus :lol: , Luke, :lol:Ennis:lol:

Credit where credit is due, Robbie Farah has won a premiership with a team that was UNDER the SALARY CAP.

No player has played at a level that Robbie continuously plays at.

He was not apart of a team which was systematically and players knowingly rorting the competition.

Robbie Farah is miles ahead of Smiffy in every facet of the game bar goalkicking.

Let me sign off with a song i made
:lol::lol:
Melb 2012 .won UNDER THE CAP..so you are wrong .
Cam Smith has played at a level far above (SOO & INTERNATIONAL) that of Farah & has been far more consistant..Wrong again.

Give up now.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Please, Farah is right up there with all of them and he shits on Toovey. I've seen all their careers.

Apparently everyone "back in the day" was better. It's a load of shit.

the fact i rate smith on par, if not slightly ahead of Walters puts to bed your "back in the day" theory.

Walters, Smith, Ellias and Buderus at their peaks were (or in smiths case), are better hookers than Robbie Farah... that's not slight on Farah who is an awesome player. And comfortably the games #2 hooker, with Daylight 3rd. No one is having a shot at Farah. He's just not as good as the 4 mentioned, who are some of the games greatest post war footballers.

It'll be a cold day in hell before you convince my unbiased RL fans that Robbie Farah is a better hooker than those 4. Toovey is a personal favourite of mine, but as said, ive conceded there is probably a good argument to made for Farah over him

pirie

Juniors
:lol::lol:
Melb 2012 .won UNDER THE CAP..so you are wrong .
Cam Smith has played at a level far above (SOO & INTERNATIONAL) that of Farah & has been far more consistant..Wrong again.

Give up now.

You should give up on watching league becasue you don't know shit

Radical Rat

Juniors
the fact i rate smith on par, if not slightly ahead of Walters puts to bed your "back in the day" theory.

Walters, Smith, Ellias and Buderus at their peaks were (or in smiths case), are better hookers than Robbie Farah... that's not slight on Farah who is an awesome player. And comfortably the games #2 hooker, with Daylight 3rd. No one is having a shot at Farah. He's just not as good as the 4 mentioned, who are some of the games greatest post war footballers.

It'll be a cold day in hell before you convince my unbiased RL fans that Robbie Farah is a better hooker than those 4. Toovey is a personal favourite of mine, but as said, ive conceded there is probably a good argument to made for Farah over him

Yeah fair enough. I guess it all comes down to personal opinion and what you're judging on.

KiamaSaint

Coach
Just throwing it out there...

Being in the shadow of Cameron Smith, i believe people lose sight of Robbie Farah's own undoubted greatness.

He is unquestionably the Tigers best, and most important, player. And he's proven as much with a sensational start to the season. Even at Newcastle he was a class above his teammates.

Farah has every quality you'd want in a hooker. A great defender, heart, composure, stamina, a crisp and selective passing game, decision making, kicking game - long and short. He's also a brilliant dummy half runner... He basically performs every aspect of hooking at a minimum 8/10 level.

If i could have any player at the Roosters it'd be Cam Smith. But my second choice? Just as easy, Robbie Farah.

And i dont think it's silly in the slightest to call him the 2nd best hooker of all-time.

No.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Im as aware of the history of the game as 99% of people on here, grandpa.

Just because i didn't mention Sandy Pearce in this debate doesn't mean that im oblivious to the world before my time.

And aside from a few ":lol:" and "pfft, kids these days! they should have seen Ian Walsh and Noel Kelly go at it!!" type lines, im yet to see an argument which outlines why Robbie Farah is a level below Walters, Elias and Buderus.

Hopefully, in the next few years I will have that honour - looking forward to it.

By the way, whilst I have your attention in the great racetrack in the sky; was Tulloch or Kingston Town the best of all time?:D

Walters and Elias could be rated with the old time rakes as they played in the days of contested scrums.

Therefore, this thread would have made more sense if the question was - is Farah the 2nd best No:9 of the modern game.

Last edited:
You should give up on watching league becasue you don't know shit
So you got nothing, thought so .
Smith has led his state & country (as well as his NRL team to victories).
A lot more than farah.
Time to get the tissues & baby oil out ,& start batting away .Your man love for Farah has made you gibbering idiot.

RABK

Referee
Johns played at hooker for some time so by default Johns is the greatest hooker of all time and Smith is the second best meaning Farah is not the 2nd best hooker of all time.

Rod

Bench
I can only comment on the last 15 or so years, so

1. Smith
2. Buderus
3. Farah

Farah is currently in a brilliant stretch of form which brings this issue back I guess, but Smith and Buderus still have him covered reasonably comfortably. I will say it is nothing less than a travesty how little Origin he has played and probably the number one shocking decision when talking about the awful NSW selection period from about 2008-2010. Hopefully he has 3 or so more Origin series in which to make amends.

dinko

Juniors
I can only comment on the last 15 or so years, so

1. Smith
2. Buderus:lol::lol::lol::lol:
3. Farah

Farah is currently in a brilliant stretch of form which brings this issue back I guess, but Smith and Buderus still have him covered reasonably comfortably. I will say it is nothing less than a travesty how little Origin he has played and probably the number one shocking decision when talking about the awful NSW selection period from about 2008-2010. Hopefully he has 3 or so more Origin series in which to make amends.

:lol:

Apey

Staff member

tigertiger

Juniors
Buderus got a leg up from Johns his whole career, both club and SOO...and what other hooker would have challenged him at the time? If Smith or Farah were playing back then Buderus would have gone to the UK earlier.

But the question remains, would Smith be anywhere near the player he is if he played for the Tigers? And would Farah have a cabinet full of trophies if he played for the Storm or QLD?

no name

Coach
Smith and Farah play completely different roles for their team.
Smith is one of the best hookers I've seen, he works so well with Cronk and Slater.
Farah plays as a hooker and half for the Tigers, he pretty much carries the team and is in a purple patch at the moment.
I don't really like ranking players, best second best etc. (because of their roles, eras etc.) but Farah is far more important to the Tigers than Smith is for the Storm ATM.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Not even close!! He woukdnt make the top 20.

I'm not even sure he is the 2nd best hooked at the moment!

I think Ballin & Segeyaro are better.