What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Robbie Farah the 2nd greatest hooker of all-time?

BranVan3000

Coach
No,

In no particular order #9s who are better then him, Cameron Smith, Issac Luke, Steve Walters, Keryd Walters and maybe a few others I have forgotten about.

Issac Luke is a game breaker. But he never really developed the leadership skills to be up with the greats. His defending, passing and kicking skills have improved a lot under Madge, so he is becoming more refined.

That said, he is just barely reaching the halfway mark in his career now. And he is pretty much the prototype for new dummy halves coming through

hutch

First Grade
Pretty sure if Buderus didnt get injured, Farah wouldnt have even played origin last year..

When a 35 year old hooker who has one hand on retirement who has just come back from england is good enough to play you out of an origin Jersey then I am going to go with No, he is not the second best hooker of all time. Not even top 10.

In my life of watching footy, Cam smith is the best I have seen, followed by Danny Burderus. No one else comes close in the last 20 years..

That's not true, buderus is a mere shadow of the player he once was and was nowhere near nsw selection last year. Farah has been better than buderus for a number of years now, including the last couple buderus was here before he went to Leeds.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
660289-andrew-johns-jamie-goddard.jpg

boonboon

Juniors
I think he is the 2nd best hooker ever in fact I think he is closer to smith then many think as to being the best . The difference between the players is the teams they have played in. If Farah had been at Melbourne and smith at the tiger and nsw then they would be ranked the other way round. Robbie Farah has come in the top 3 of the dally m medal 3 times -that makes him elite in the history of hookers in the game

Bench
I didnt say Buderus was better than Farah last season, I merely pointed out a fact that if Farah was indeed the 2nd greatest hooker of all time, Buderus's name would never have been mentioned above Farah for origin last year.

Come back to me when Farah has played 21 games for NSW, 15 as captain (also the last to captain a series win), 24 games for Australia and Won a Dally M medal.

Then we can discuss if Farah was indeed a better player then Buderus.

Some of you must have the memory of a goldfish.. It was only 10 years ago when Bedsy was at his peak... Funny how quickly people forget.
Farah should have been playing for NSW for years,the selectors are idiots,and how many series did Budurus lead us to lose,Farah would have had a dally m if Sheens didn't move him to halfback,he was leading comfortably,he was been runner up twice,Tim Sheen's cost Farah at least one maybe two dally m's by playing him at half,thank god he is not running the show now.

hutch

First Grade
No,

In no particular order #9s who are better then him, Cameron Smith, Issac Luke, Steve Walters, Keryd Walters and maybe a few others I have forgotten about.

Ill give you Steve Walters and smith, but kerrod Walters was nothing special, and farah is a better player than Isaac Luke.

BranVan3000

Coach
I didnt say Buderus was better than Farah last season, I merely pointed out a fact that if Farah was indeed the 2nd greatest hooker of all time, Buderus's name would never have been mentioned above Farah for origin last year.

Come back to me when Farah has played 21 games for NSW, 15 as captain (also the last to captain a series win), 24 games for Australia and Won a Dally M medal.

Then we can discuss if Farah was indeed a better player then Buderus.

Some of you must have the memory of a goldfish.. It was only 10 years ago when Bedsy was at his peak... Funny how quickly people forget.
Lol like NSW selectors have any idea what they are doing. Nathan Merritt will end up one of the highest try scoring wingers of all time but has never seen a jersey. They snubbed El Masri just the same

Getting an NSW jersey or not is no reflection on quality

Jeese there are a lot of what ifs going on here...

What if Farah played for the storm, what if he wasnt in cameron smiths shadow, what if a selector wanted him to play for NSW... Blah Blah Blah..

The NRL is a tough competition, no point making what if scenarios.. Fact is, Farah created his own career path and will be forgotten a year or 2 after he retires, and Cameron Smith will probably go down as an Immortal.

Tommy Smith

Referee
So the majority of people think it is ridiculous. Fair enough. And yet strangely its not absurd for Matty Johns to suggest Thurston will be greater than his brother. Ok...

Look it's impossible to compare hookers across eras. The game has changed so much so there's no fair way to compare Cameron Smith to Noel Kelly.

All im suggesting is that Robbie Farah's skill set for a modern day hooker is as complete as you will find. He does everything at a minimum 8/10 level and is one of the most influential players for a club that ive seen. And he has been for about 8 years now.

Given this, why shouldn't he be compared with the likes of Elias, Walters and Buderus? Id be just as happy with Farah as the others if i was starting a team from scratch today.

As for Isaac Luke, lol Didnt McGuire prefer Nathan Peats at one point last year? Imagine the Tigers with Luke over Farah. I know, they wouldnt be half the team they are.

Maybe we'll revisit this in four years. For now, my bad for making this an "all-time" borefest when i really wanted to highlight just how f**king good Farah is.

magpie4ever

First Grade
So the majority of people think it is ridiculous. Fair enough. And yet strangely its not absurd for Matty Johns to suggest Thurston will be greater than his brother. Ok...

Look it's impossible to compare hookers across eras. The game has changed so much so there's no fair way to compare Cameron Smith to Noel Kelly.

All im suggesting is that Robbie Farah's skill set for a modern day hooker is as complete as you will find. He does everything at a minimum 8/10 level and is one of the most influential players for a club that ive seen. And he has been for about 8 years now.

Given this, why shouldn't he be compared with the likes of Elias, Walters and Buderus? Id be just as happy with Farah as the others if i was starting a team from scratch today.

As for Isaac Luke, lol Didnt McGuire prefer Nathan Peats at one point last year? Imagine the Tigers with Luke over Farah. I know, they wouldnt be half the team they are.

Maybe we'll revisit this in four years. For now, my bad for making this an "all-time" borefest when i really wanted to highlight just how f**king good Farah is.

Then stop using the term "hooker" and the post topic of "all time".

Sorry but a dumb thread written for the Gen Y (and later) brigade, as we all know the Gen Ys don't believe the world existed before they arrived in it.

I know I have two of these special creatures.:lol:

Bench
Jeese there are a lot of what ifs going on here...

What if Farah played for the storm, what if he wasnt in cameron smiths shadow, what if a selector wanted him to play for NSW... Blah Blah Blah..

The NRL is a tough competition, no point making what if scenarios.. Fact is, Farah created his own career path and will be forgotten a year or 2 after he retires, and Cameron Smith will probably go down as an Immortal.
And Budurus is forgotten now,and he is still playing

Stagger Lee

Bench
thread written for the Gen Y (and later) brigade, as we all know the Gen Ys don't believe the world existed before they arrived in it.

I know I have two of these special creatures.:lol:

Me too :cool:

I won't even bother trying to tell them about

Steve Walters
Benny Elias
Max Krilich
George Piggins
Noel Kelly
Ian Walsh

Because a hooker these days is a completely different beast

bring back the contested scrum!!!!! :crazy: :p :lol:

Latest posts