What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the GWS team a Sydney team or a Canberra team?

DC_fan

Coach
GWS has not even played a game yet, hell they don't even have a proper name yet, but team management has made the decison to play three (3) home games a season in Canberra for the next ten (10) years.

For me a team and a sport that is trying to find place for itself in the western suburbs of Sydney should be playing all its home games in the western suburbs of Sydney. Not taking three or two or even one game outside the territory it wants to develop.

For me thats sending the wrong signals to potential fans here in Sydney. As a league fan I have always thought highly of the people running the AFL. But after this decision I may have to change my mind.

I suppose though, just in case GWS fails in Sydney then they can transfer the team down the Hume Hwy to Canberra.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I'd say its got more to do with picking up fans in an untapped market.

DC_fan

Coach
The Afl are supposed to be after the western suburbs of Sydney. If they are, playing 3 games in Canberra is not going to help.

A really stupid idea in my opinion.

magic_johnson!

Juniors
I don't really like it, they should be just Western Sydney. It sounds bigger than it is though.

They will have 12 home games a season, 3 of which are in canberra. They will have one away game in sydney and one away game in canberra. So, they will still have 10 games in sydney, and 4 in canberra. 10 isn't that small an amount when you look at it, the swans only play 11 sydney games at the moment.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
It's souly about getting ACT government to underwrite four of the games and double AFL funding in the ACT to levels well above sports that are actually popular amonst the taxpayers.

skeepe

Immortal
It's souly about getting ACT government to underwrite four of the games and double AFL funding in the ACT to levels well above sports that are actually popular amonst the taxpayers.

And they got their wish.

The shambolic ACT government will pay GWS a ridiculous $2.35 million per year, or $783,000 per premiership match.

The ACT government pay the Raiders $1.8 million per year, or $150,000 per match.

It's an absolutely outrageous situation.

applesauce

Bench
It could really alienate the "ownership" to the fans of western Sydney. They might think "Screw it we have teams that want to represent ONLY our area (Penrith, Parra, Wests etc.)".

So... so far they have a training base at WS that might not even get used in the end, because they will be playing out of homebush, with 3-4 games going to the ACT...

Who are they representing?

Be interesting to see if it hurts them or not.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
To answer the question, the team is for ex Victorians who live outside of Victoriania.

rabbitohs

Juniors
Giants is the name and their colours - they're DOOOMED!!
454232-gws-jumper.jpg

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Do Sydney/Brisbane supporters support their old victorian teams?

not since the Swans

look at the Titans, I live on the GC and most people had an NRL team till the Tits got a gig, now they have a big following up here

I'm not sure how GWS will benefit from playing in Canbra, its not as though they will be permanently in Canbra

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Giants is the name and their colours - they're DOOOMED!!
454232-gws-jumper.jpg

one of my pet hates is why cant some one be original with their team names

why do we have to names out teams after NFL teams

how very unAustralian

AuckMel

Bench
I thought the Wolves was good and some of the designs I saw outstanding. This is gross on both counts.

Bulldog Force

Referee
This Vactardian team is not even going to have 'Sydney' in their name. Why? Because 3 games will be played as, how Twizz says it, "Canbra"!

STFU

Juniors
And they got their wish.

The shambolic ACT government will pay GWS a ridiculous $2.35 million per year, or $783,000 per premiership match.

The ACT government pay the Raiders $1.8 million per year, or $150,000 per match.

It's an absolutely outrageous situation.

Already making a profit without having played a game...impressive...

Latest posts