What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the Rugby season too long

Timbo

Staff member
If you were in Manchester you were in the epicentre of the Premier League and Rugby League wouldnt get a mention. It would get about as much press as Swinton Rugby Union or Sale.

The only towns in England that care about league are Warrington, Wigan, Hull, Bradford and Leeds. Outside of those areas there are a few regional villages such as Wakefield and Castleford (yes, I know they call themselves towns) that follow the code, but they're not main population centres.

Rugby League in the UK reaches about 10% of the population at best and in half of that it plays 3rd fiddle to other sports.

In London, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Sunderland football is god. In most regional areas Rugby Union is the main alternative and that covers pretty much the entire country.

Nothing will change unless it changes at the grass roots level. Give proper funding to junior development and put some glamour in the top tier of the game and it stands a chance. But it needs to be played in schools and that requires the involvement of the education department and governments. People that dance to the tune of the almighty Premier League.

Yeah, I get that now. What gets me is you hear all the time here that league is big 'in the North'.

Manchester is the biggest city in the North and no one gives a flying feck!

WireMan

Bench
Take it from someone who lives in England, and watches it week in and out.
The game is in a shocking state. Those who say it's never been better are delusional.

It has never been better. It has been a lot worse than it is now.

Step outside a handful of cities in the north, and nobody has even heard of the game.
The amount of 50+ margins is a shocking look for the code, and when franchises like Wales fall by the wayside, and other teams outside the main Rugby League areas are propped up by geriatric Aussies, the game is in trouble.

Its the same in Aus though, how much do people in Adelaide or Melbourne really know about the NRL? How many threads on this forum crying about channel 9's coverage. The difference is in Aus it is big in Sydney and Brisbane. In the UK its big in a few pit towns int he north of England.

My opinion is shared by Brian Carney, and several people in the know.
Sky sports is a joke, they show a measly 2 games a week, that's it. Free to air has nothing. Promoting the game to youngsters is almost non existent. It's the Wigan/Leeds/St Helens/Warrington travelling sideshow...nothing more.

Why does Carney not say that Sky coverage is a joke then?
A measly 2 games? When do you want the others to be on telly? Saturday afternoon? Football. Sunday morning? Football. Sunday afternoon? Football. Monday? You get the picture.

2 games is about as good as we are going to get.

Free to air has the challenge cup.

I believe the key to growth, is a strong England national side. They simply don't have the talent pool to sustain a top line 20 team comp.
8 of the best teams playing each other week in week out will improve the game. It will create competition for spots, and players will have to backup each week for a tough game.
As it stands, the top teams only have to 'get up' probably once a month...against another heavy weight team.....then it's back to training drills against the minnows. That helps nobody.

An eight team competition would provide a stronger national team if that is what you want. It would also provide a great 2nd division. However, I think having only 8 teams would diminish the profile of the game across the UK. An 8 team comp would be good for the national team but not for the game IMO. It was definitely a mistake to expand the competition to 14 teams. 12 would be the right number for me.

8 teams would not produce enough games to keep anyone in business. We don't all have multi million deals lined up.

Development of the international game you say? Go to the international section of this forum to discuss the problems about that old chestnut.

Yeah, I get that now. What gets me is you hear all the time here that league is big 'in the North'.

Manchester is the biggest city in the North and no one gives a flying feck!

Did you expect Manchester to be like Sydney? Wall to wall league coverage? Where did you get that idea from?

Anyone will tell you, Rugby league is not a big game in the UK. Its big in the North compared to the South, but not compared to our main sporting obsession.

We have a FA cup game this weekend between two of the norths big teams. So in all honesty Rugby league could do everything the game has done in Australia for the last 5 years (all the good and bad things you read about) and none of it would make the sports news.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Maybe this should moved to the Super League section.
Isn't the RFL trying to expand the game at semi pro level,the Crusaders could never make it in the SL but could be successful at semi pro level.

eozsmiles

Bench
The season is too long for the players and too short for the media and clubs. The players want more money and the clubs can't afford to pay them what they get now.
Seems like the desires of both parties are mutually exclusive and maybe a bit contradictory.

Didgi

Much as I'm a big fan, no one can deny that in general league in England really isn't going that well. But it's undeniable that it is getting better. There's less shitty Aussies going over every year, and surprise surprise the teams that do well keep the imports to a few quality forwards, that's it. There's a stat that goes something like no Australian/NZer has won a SL grand final in the halves for the last decade. Once teams really realise this - and more are - the standard will improve. Whilst over the hill/crap Aussies are holding back talented English youngsters, they're not going anywhere.

drago brelli

Bench
if you want to shorten the season then merge cronulla with steel dragons, merge parra and chocolate soldiers, merge souffs and eastern surburbs and merge dogs with magpies balmain. Easy. I've just wasted 5 minutes thinking about this.

bobmar28

Bench
Soccer in England seems to go for about 10 months. Based on that fact the NRL season is not long enough.

hutch

First Grade
if you want to shorten the season then merge cronulla with steel dragons, merge parra and chocolate soldiers, merge souffs and eastern surburbs and merge dogs with magpies balmain. Easy. I've just wasted 5 minutes thinking about this.

Anybody who thinks this does anything but kill off hundreds of thousands of supporters are delusional!

Teddyboy

First Grade
Much as I'm a big fan, no one can deny that in general league in England really isn't going that well. But it's undeniable that it is getting better. There's less shitty Aussies going over every year, and surprise surprise the teams that do well keep the imports to a few quality forwards, that's it. There's a stat that goes something like no Australian/NZer has won a SL grand final in the halves for the last decade. Once teams really realise this - and more are - the standard will improve. Whilst over the hill/crap Aussies are holding back talented English youngsters, they're not going anywhere.

Saying that there were no Aussie greats in the English game in the first half of the 90's.

russ13

First Grade
Even better, but certainly don't call it just 'rugby'. You do realise that refers to a different sport don't you?

Where I come from RL was called rugby & union was called union.

BTW you know what league means don't you?

Lambretta

First Grade
Soccer in England seems to go for about 10 months. Based on that fact the NRL season is not long enough.

Yes, but football is a non contact sport, regardless of how much the overpaid Spanish prima donnas playing for so called English teams roll around on the floor clutching their f**king heads.

Lambretta

First Grade

I am an avid fan of the English Super League and I record and watch every single game shown on Nine thanks to TiVo and it's ability to remember to record something that Nine moves all over the place.

During the past few years the people running the Super League HAVE taken steps to increase the quality of the players coming through. Restrictions on the number of overseas players are now taking place and teams are getting involved in developing more and more youth players.

Leeds, St Helens and Castleford have been especially strong in this area and Castleford have unearth a group of talented youngsters that could see them become a better Super League team. The result in this insistence in developing local talent will benefit the Super League in the long term. Already you can see the benefits in the competition.

However I would like to see Rugby League in England casting a wider net to bring in young lads from different areas. They need to find a way to get some competitions and schools involved in the sport from outside the traditional areas. BE that through an academy system where young lads can get sports degrees and better levels of education or other means I dont know.

After all, Sam Tomkins, Englands brightest Rugby League prospect was born in Milton Keynes. Not your usual Rugby League stronghold is it? If they can manager this League in England will truly prosper.

Last edited:

VictoryFC

Bench
Any League comp season should be as long as the body can take without breaking down. There are no voices over here saying we should extend the season. With international, rep games, its about as good as you're going to get.

I dunno how long the ESL season goes for, but it seems that at most a player would be able to sustain about 35-40 matches a year, all up. Unless you wanted to scrap intls and rep games, then you can't really expand the season. We've got 26 fixtures plus finals. If we didn't have a finals system, you could say that we could play 30 fixtures...and with 16 teams that would be home and away for everyone. Thats plenty.

You mention the NFL, but those guys complain about a heavy season after only 20 odd games. I do agree off season is too long though, but thats why we have cricket for!

mokn

Juniors
It's too long for the players to play their best every game, see it all the time when they are play at their max every game and then just burnout.
They should get a bye round every 8 weeks and 2 weeks for origin only and no club games, origin players would be force rested for the 2 weeks following origins, this would keep all players at optimal fitness and reduce any burnout.
The quality of the game mid season is terrible.

Latest posts