What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the Swannies media coverage in Sydney justified?

Is the Swannies current media coverage in Sydney justified?

• Yes

Votes: 83 46.1%
  • No

Votes: 82 45.6%
  • No real opinion

Votes: 15 8.3%

• Total voters

aussies1st

Staff member
Just look at the score
Swans 8.10 (58) Eagles 7.12 (54)
Looks so complicated if you don't follow the game.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Knightmare said:
Aussie Rules is an ugly, frustrating game to watch. That's just the nature of the game.

Agreed but think about it - the frustration adds to the tension - adds to the excitement. Might be ugly but it certainly had me and my whole family on the edge of our seats yesterday evening.

Knightmare

Coach
Well for me watching the AFL Grand Final and then watching the Preliminary Final last night, made me realise how much we take League for granted. Agree with aussies1st on the scoring- who cares how many behinds or goals they kicked? All that matters is the final score. Imagine if the commentators said "Tigers won 4-2-20 to the Dragons 2-2-12.." How stupid does it sound?

Timmah

Staff member
I do agree, I hate if I'm listening and someone says 4.3 to 2.1 - I want to know the score not the goal tally.

Brutus

Referee
lockyno1 said:
So which Sydney teams average 27,000 in the NRL if the sport is that much better surely you have teams averaging more than 27,000 in NSW!

10 NRL teams in Sydney, 11 in NSW. 2 Sydney clubs combined would cover the support the Swans have. That puts it in perspective. Why don't you just hang out at an Aussie Rules forum if you love it so much?

Brutus

Referee
gaterooze said:
The Waratahs have a higher crowd average than the Swans, would you say they are hugely supported in Sydney?

They can't even get on TV.

Yeah where was the media hype for the Waratahs final? They got bigger crowds than the Swans. Helps to have a cosey relationship with the media.

tye

Juniors
Yeah good on the SWANS and what a great game to watch. And i think it will put a bit of pressure on the NRL and ARU next year.

Brutus

Referee
tye said:
Yeah good on the SWANS and what a great game to watch. And i think it will put a bit of pressure on the NRL and ARU next year.

I agree, rugby league is dead.

Surandy

Bench
TheEelsFanatic said:
No it aint justified, the should get as much coverage as proportionate to the TV rating between the two codes, in other words league should dominate

So you saying the papers should run more articles about The Iron Chef? :D

On the newspaper coverage of the Swans, you should try Melbourne media. Seriously if I didn't know any better I'd think the Sydney Swans were based in Melbourne the way the media down here is carrying on.

In fact just about every article about the Swans refers to them as the South Melbourne Swans or Bloods. :roll:

Parra_Eels

Bench
i just hated how all those 'diehard' swans fans came out this week eg delta goodrem - come on, a 'diehard'. she turns up for the gf and all of a sudden shes a lifelong fan. and that awful rebecca lee or whatever her name is from the daily telegraph - she just discovered a swans ticket is the latest fashion accessory. dont get me wrong i was goin for the swans but the amount of fairweather fans they have is unbelievable.

Timmah

Staff member
Parra_Eels said:
i just hated how all those 'diehard' swans fans came out this week eg delta goodrem - come on, a 'diehard'. she turns up for the gf and all of a sudden shes a lifelong fan. and that awful rebecca lee or whatever her name is from the daily telegraph - she just discovered a swans ticket is the latest fashion accessory. dont get me wrong i was goin for the swans but the amount of fairweather fans they have is unbelievable.

Delta has been a Swans fan, not closet either, her brother Trent has been a Swans junior for a few years now.

Who cares if they're on the bandwagon? Bandwagons are good things in every sport.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Brutus said:
10 NRL teams in Sydney, 11 in NSW. 2 Sydney clubs combined would cover the support the Swans have. That puts it in perspective. Why don't you just hang out at an Aussie Rules forum if you love it so much?

I have said it PLENTY of times that I like AFL but I like league equally. Everyone has to admit that both codes deserve their time in the sun and until Wednesday the Swans will be all over the paper. That is fair. Then the papers will go all out promoting the league grand final.

Dutch Oven

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
I have said it PLENTY of times that I like AFL but I like league equally. Everyone has to admit that both codes deserve their time in the sun and until Wednesday the Swans will be all over the paper. That is fair. Then the papers will go all out promoting the league grand final.

I think we've seen via the fabulous TV ratings for the AFL grand final (which will probably beat the numbers for the NRL Grand Final IN SYDNEY) that the media coverage of the wonderful Swans was justified.

I'd like to see AFL and rugby league share equal media coverage in Sydney from next season on because all sports deserve there time in the sun and I believe the AFL has earnt their stripes in Sydney. Don't be surprised if AFL leads several Sydney news bulletins and back pages from next season onwards just like it does in Brisbane now.

I'm with you lockyno1, AFL is the best game! Good lad.

Knightmare

Coach
Dutch Oven said:
I think we've seen via the fabulous TV ratings for the AFL grand final (which will probably beat the numbers for the NRL Grand Final IN SYDNEY) that the media coverage of the wonderful Swans was justified.

I'd like to see AFL and rugby league share equal media coverage in Sydney from next season on because all sports deserve there time in the sun and I believe the AFL has earnt their stripes in Sydney. Don't be surprised if AFL leads several Sydney news bulletins and back pages from next season onwards just like it does in Brisbane now.

Actually, I think Iron Chef should lead more news bulletins and appear on more front pages next year- because more people in Sydney seem to care about that than watching the Swans.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Dutch Oven said:

Well said!

I will say this again. I do like BOTH games and they deserve publicity when they need it. Eg. Swans in the final the deserve it, Tigers in the final they deserve it, etc. Both codes deserve an equal share of the publicity.

Dutch Oven

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
Well said!

I will say this again. I do like BOTH games and they deserve publicity when they need it. Eg. Swans in the final the deserve it, Tigers in the final they deserve it, etc. Both codes deserve an equal share of the publicity.

1. AFL Grand Final - 3.394 (peak 4 million)
2. Grand Final Wrap Up - 3.031
3. Grand Final Pre Match - 2.487
4. Time for Lunch (Pre Match Entertainment) - 1.514
5. Funny Videos - 1.419
6. Ten News/Sports Tonight - 1.316
7. Midsomer Murders - 1.307
8. 9 News - 1.192
9. NRL Dragons v Tigers - 1.150
10. 7 News - 1.129

12. Grand Final Preview (12:30-1:30) - 1.036
14. Monk - 845k (ouch)
20. Grand Final Day (10:00-12:30) - 540

NRL:
Sydney - 745k
Brisbane - 334k
The rest - 71k

AFL:
Sydney - 994k (peak 1.230)
Perth - 514k (570k)
Melbourne - 1.230 (1.367)
Adelaide - 314k (406)
Brisbane - 342k (425)

So the media coverage was justified in the end with the AFL killing the rugby league even in Sydney. I think it's a great testament to the AFL that they can demand an equal share of the media in Sydney with only one team compared to RL's 10 or so. Imagine if the AFL introduced another team into Sydney!

I would like to see Melbourne more receptive to rugby league, but if they hate the game there's not much we can do about it.