What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the Swannies media coverage in Sydney justified?

Is the Swannies current media coverage in Sydney justified?

• Yes

Votes: 83 46.1%
  • No

Votes: 82 45.6%
  • No real opinion

Votes: 15 8.3%

• Total voters

Knightmare

Coach
Yeah, the AFL should bring another team into Sydney. Especially the West, where an appearence by Collingwood (the most famous team in the AFL) drew a great crowd of 20 people! If anyone saw smoke rising in the sky last night, it was Eels, Bulldogs, Tigers and Panthers fans burning their jerseys and ending their association with their NRL teams to follow "our" Swannies!

RiotAct

Juniors
Well, believe it or not.. it is possible to actually follow two seperate sports.. amazingly. Go Canterbury, Leeds United and Swans.

Knightmare

Coach
Good for you. I happen to think Aussie Rules is an ugly, frustrating game but I like St Kilda. I agree that people can follow more than one sport, but if the AFL think they're going to take over Sydney then they're more deluded than I thought!

Dutch Oven

Juniors
RiotAct said:
Well, believe it or not.. it is possible to actually follow two seperate sports.. amazingly. Go Canterbury, Leeds United and Swans.

I'd like to see Melbourne people accept more than one code of footy, but that is never likely to happen. I wonder why they won't watch a football code other than AFL, it's always intrigued me.

I guess Sydney is just better.

Pantherjim.

Referee
lockyno 1 said:
I will say this again. I do like BOTH games and they deserve publicity when they need it. Eg. Swans in the final the deserve it, Tigers in the final they deserve it, etc. Both codes deserve an equal share of the publicity.

The trouble is (as I've already explained) League doesn't get a millionth as much coverage or media promotion in Victoria as the A.F.L. does in N.S.W. Even if the Melbourne Storm win a Grand Final. Have you ever visited Victoria? Come to think of it, have you ever visited Planet Earth?

RiotAct said:

Sure it's possible, and if that's what turns you on, go for it. But until the day the Melbourne media gives our great code a break down there, I'll say:

"Up yours Cazaly, in there and bite!"

Pantherjim.

Dutch Oven

Juniors
RiotAct said:
AFL has a market in Sydney, they'll never take over though.

I'd say it has a strong market in Sydney, but I do agree it will take a Brisbane Lions type run by the Swans before it can challenge rugby league.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Pantherjim. said:
The trouble is (as I've already explained) League doesn't get a millionth as much coverage or media promotion in Victoria as the A.F.L. does in N.S.W. Even if the Melbourne Storm win a Grand Final. Have you ever visited Victoria? Come to think of it, have you ever visited Planet Earth?

I have visited victoria, I actually lived there for nearly 2 years!

Dutch Oven

Juniors
A Sydney victory would unlock greater riches

September 24, 2005

A Swans win will bring new sponsors and members and lift attendance, writes Stephen Dabkowski.

It's the AFL's Holy Grail. A Sydney victory in today's grand final would be a financial bonanza on top of what has already been a successful footy season if you consider all the numbers.

The AFL reported this week that season 2005 achieved record attendance; membership and television ratings and league revenue hit $200 million for the first time. But a Sydney victory will unlock far greater riches in the future. Sponsorship experts say there are millions of dollars in sponsorship income, membership expenditure and television revenue waiting to be unleashed by a Sydney victory. Banking giant Citibank offered an insight into what is possible at the start of the finals just weeks ago when, it has been speculated, the company paid almost $1 million to become Sydney's new jumper sponsor.

Success for Sydney means higher ratings for the AFL in the lucrative NSW market, which will drive up the overall value of its broadcast rights now in negotiation with the major networks.

Even rival clubs such as Essendon realise why success for Sydney is important for the league in the long term.

Peter Jackson, Essendon's chief executive, believes the whole game can benefit - even Victorian clubs - from a Sydney win.

"Sydney is the most critical emerging market in the AFL from both a support and sponsorship point of view," he said. "It will be a matter of ensuring the game capitalises on the result should Sydney win.

"I know a large number of our key business partners have their head offices based in Sydney and it is increasingly becoming a place AFL clubs look to do business. You would think a Sydney flag would increase the awareness of AFL football in Sydney to the benefit of all stakeholders."

Lynne Anderson, managing director of sports sponsorship experts S-Comm Australia, believes that quietly the senior executives within the AFL would be excited about a Sydney win.

"A Swans premiership would have significant financial and strategic implications for the game," she believes.

"If Sydney were to win, the flow-on effects would see attendances at Sydney games go up, membership would soar, which is cash up-front for any club, and there would be a pool of new sponsors happy to look at the game, both for Sydney, but also nationally."

Most observers, including Lynne Anderson, also believe that a Swans victory would probably bring forward the AFL's longer-term vision to introduce a second AFL team into Sydney, attacking rugby's NRL in its heartland.

The increasing dominance of interstate clubs in the AFL - only two Victorian clubs have won premierships since 1996 and only three since 1993 - has meant the powerhouse local clubs have become more sophisticated in the packages they offer to their sponsors.

Peter Jackson says Essendon provides exclusive football content for the handsets of its major sponsor - mobile phone giant 3 - and the club is held accountable for sales and media coverage of their product.

A recent survey indicated that 3 remained the most visible sponsor in the AFL.

"The dynamics of sponsorship have changed in my opinion," Mr Jackson said. "Sponsors now are far more demanding, looking for a commercial return on their sponsorship, and rightly so.

"As a club we have been very conscious of providing genuine outcomes for our sponsors - it is no longer a matter of simply sticking a logo on a jumper."

St Kilda during the season signed a lucrative deal with NEC Business Solutions - not a sponsorship - but a channel-partnership arrangement.

In effect, that meant that St Kilda signed on to help NEC Business Solutions look for business customers around Australia to sell its products and services, and the club will be rewarded financially by NECBS's sales growth.

"Traditional sponsorships in the AFL where people hand over a cheque and forget about it are dead," said Riaki Tanaka, managing director of NEC Business Solution. "Our relationship with St Kilda is about us working together as partners to drive sales. We have weekly meetings where St Kilda gives us access to its other corporate clients. They open doors to allow us to become part of the corporate AFL family.

"The benefits over time of a partnership like this we believe will be worth millions to both St Kilda and NEC Business Solutions. This way both sides benefit from a more sophisticated arrangement."

Despite the recent dominance of interstate clubs, one of the main reasons why Toyota became the AFL's main sponsor two years ago was to lift its market share in Victoria - a tactic that seems to have worked.

Toyota claims it has gone from No.3 car seller in Victoria to No.2 in the past two years, overtaking Ford - but is still behind Holden.

"We are delighted with the AFL sponsorship and it is certainly helping our brand awareness and the intention to purchase, which is what all our research is telling us," said Toyota spokesman Peter Griffin. "The key with consumers is to get on their shopping list to eventually convert to a sale."

The ATTACK has begun. http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2005/09/23/1126982228600.html

Many in Melbourne are talking about attacking NRL in it's heartland. Could this be war?

lockyno1

Post Whore
Dutch Oven said:
Did you see much rugby league? :lol:

I actually only vaguly followed the game before I went to Melbourne so I was not fussed at the time. To answer your question, not much but it didn't bother me at the time!

gaterooze

Bench
It's simple. The Lions won 3 in a row, and this year the first week of AFL finals had TV ratings of ~60,000 in Brisbane!

3 wins in a row and still they don't really give a stuff about AFL.

The same will be true of Sydney. They will follow the Swans (it's a bandwagon city, everyone knows it), but will they follow AFL in general? Watch games that the Swans aren't in? Yeah, right.

You forget that the NRL has also had a record year, and 2007 begins a new area with the Gold Coast and new TV deal. Nothing the AFL do will affect the NRL (except holding it back in VIC). People may follow both sports, but the games are so different that people won't be forced to "choose" between them.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
You could look at it as though it was going to happen one day, get it out of the way, the only way is down for the AFL in Sydney. Come the start of the season in 6 months the emotion will have gone. There is definately a push in the media pro AFL.

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
You need to keep in mind that the Swans have been in Sydney for around 20 years now, and have had some pretty lean times media wise as well.

I grew up in Sydney, but have lived in Melbourne, South Aus and Tassie (twice!), and can say that of these (and NT and Qld which I have visited on occassion, but never lived there), NSW is by far the least parochial state, and therefore most likely to accept a game from across the border.

Although Victoria seems to be getting better, they have a tendency to be extremely insular when it comes to anything from north of the border, and league will have a long and hard job to overcome this.

I think that it is probably a generational thing too. A lot of people in Vic are passionate about their game, the same way that many of us are about league (possibly moreso ... at least in terms of the number of passionate supporters). These people are NEVER going to be passionate about league. If league in Vic is heavily promoted to kids however, then when they grow up, they will me more supportive of the game, but it is a long haul (as the Swans have experienced in Sydney).

That is not to say that none of the current generation of Vics will accept league. Over the years, if the NRL continues to support the game there, the Vics will increasingly accept it, but this generation (and most of the next) will on'tt be passionate about it, and there is nothing you can do to change that. It will be like the attitude of many Sydneysiders to the Swans ... they will happily turn up to a game for something different every now and again, particularly if the team is doing well, but won't really care too much if the team is doing badly either.

tye

Juniors
RiotAct said:

You are right, it amazes me that the majority of league fans are so insecure about other sports. Why cant they enjoy it all . I know where i will be on the easter weekend in 2006....Swans v Essendon at Telstra in front of a sell-out crowd id guess.

Green Machine

First Grade
tye said:
You are right, it amazes me that the majority of league fans are so insecure about other sports. Why cant they enjoy it all . I know where i will be on the easter weekend in 2006....Swans v Essendon at Telstra in front of a sell-out crowd id guess.
Dob us all in to Andrew Demetriou, why don’t you. Did you ever think for one minute that most League fans think that it’s a game for nancy boys,

Brutus

Referee
tye said:
You are right, it amazes me that the majority of league fans are so insecure about other sports. Why cant they enjoy it all . .

Yet there would be five times as many AFL fans that would fit in that exact category you have just described. Insecurity and ignorance to other football codes is rampant throughout the hardcore AFL community. They are the worst of the lot.

I'll put my hand up and say on a Sat afternoon with nothing on TV and with the Official Broadcaster of the NRL a complete write off singe the NRL announced there would be no exclusive radio rights in 2006 onwards.....I had my longest look at AFL during their Grand Final.

Its like a ruined game of Force Man Back. If the game was as good as its highlights, it might be watchable. But its really just a fumbling mess.

And can someone tell me....your job is to kick goals between the posts. The game stops for you to do this. So then....HOW CAN YOU MISS LIKE THAT! I mean, some of them misses EVERYTHING.....even the point you get for missing!

I knew something was up with AFL when they got their ar$es handed to them by a bucnh of Irish blokes who play for the love of their sport and not for money. But this Grand Fjust proved to me that AFL is nothing more then a poorly crafted training excersise that League players do just about every week with far more accuracy and far more skill.

Mr Saab

Referee
RiotAct said:

of course it is:

Bris Broncos
Detroit Lions
Boston Red Sox
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Syd Kings

I dont know how people (there are some out there) follow just one code. There is soo much sport out there.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
My favourite teams from certain codes... not that I passionately follow but who I have managed to find myself cheering for...

Bulldogs NRL
Warriors ESL
Kings NBL
Swans AFL
'Tahs Yawnion

Pretty standard but hey it works for me.