What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the Swannies media coverage in Sydney justified?

Is the Swannies current media coverage in Sydney justified?

• Yes

Votes: 83 46.1%
  • No

Votes: 82 45.6%
  • No real opinion

Votes: 15 8.3%

• Total voters

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
To those still against AFL competing with the NRL for media space:

WHAT ABOUT THE ASHES?

Who cares about cricket? Why should it have got mega air-time as the NRL was winding down for the year? How dare anyone support Cricket. It is such a crap sport. As if you'd let it be played during the winter time.. geez.
*slams door*

*opens door*
Oh, by the way, I was being sarcastic
*slams it again*

:roll: Pathetic. Other sports exist and will continue to thrive. Realise and accept.

iggy plop

First Grade
dodge said:
To those still against AFL competing with the NRL for media space:

WHAT ABOUT THE ASHES?

Who cares about cricket? Why should it have got mega air-time as the NRL was winding down for the year? How dare anyone support Cricket. It is such a crap sport. As if you'd let it be played during the winter time.. geez.
*slams door*

*opens door*
Oh, by the way, I was being sarcastic
*slams it again*

:roll: Pathetic. Other sports exist and will continue to thrive. Realise and accept.

Just not in Melbourne during the winter months.

Sydney Kings
Minnesota timberwolves
Bolton Wanderers
QLD Bulls/West Indies :(
Newtown Jets (Once a Bronco before SL)
Golf
Music
Music
Music
And more Music.

Cricket and Rugby League are my two favourite sports and cover the year just perfectly. Bastketball and playing golf are also great sporting interests.

At the top of my dislike list is Australian Rules Football. The fact the Melbourne media and general public treat our great game with such disdain down there makes it an even easier game to dislike.I agree with Brutus there.

You can enjoy plenty of things, but you certainly don't have to enjoy everything.

iggy plop

First Grade
dodge said:
So why try to ruin other people's enjoyment of it?

Yes there's some tortured souls on here who will never recover from hearing negative things about AFL. :lol: Their lives are ruined.

It's all about opinions pal and with AFL dominating rugby league heartland for a fortnight or so you are going to get some AFL discussion on here - be it positive or negative. I'm sure that will all die down now as we focus on Sunday's big game.

Timmah

Staff member
iggy plop said:
Yes there's some tortured souls on here who will never recover from hearing negative things about AFL. :lol: Their lives are ruined.

It's all about opinions pal and with AFL dominating rugby league heartland for a fortnight or so you are going to get some AFL discussion on here - be it positive or negative. I'm sure that will all die down now as we focus on Sunday's big game.

There's a difference between having an opinion on something and shoving it down people's throats. If you truly don't care about AFL, then don't talk about it. You talk more about the two rival codes on this forum than you do about the NRL. Maybe, move on?

lockyno1

Post Whore
dodge said:
There's a difference between having an opinion on something and shoving it down people's throats. If you truly don't care about AFL, then don't talk about it. You talk more about the two rival codes on this forum than you do about the NRL. Maybe, move on?

Well said!

iggy plop

First Grade
dodge said:

Shoving it down people's throats :lol: You make it sound so hardcore, so involuntary. :lol:

There are several fellow rugby league fans on here who also share a dislike of AFL and believe it or not, both sports are competing for the same sporting dollar in Sydney and are fierce rivals - one appears to have a better working relationship with the media than the other. You can see by the various poll results that many here don't like the game and there will be times when they will express their displeasure of it. This is something the chest-beating "open-mind" brigade, of which you are the leader, will simply have to live with.

Most of my AFL rants are in TFC or are moved there so the poor open minders don't have their throats filled with things that can be shoved.

dodge said:
So why try to ruin other people's enjoyment of it?

Ruin :lol: :lol:

Timmah

Staff member
...the open-mind brigade will have to live with? Have you looked at this poll? There is one vote seperating yes and no. A lot closer than many would've thought. It just boggles me why you think it's your duty to force feed something that you think isn't really a big threat anyway...?

Force feed?

FFS, AFL has been over-hyped and over-televised and over-advertised ever since the Pink twinkies lobbed in Sydney. Yet the bandwagon is at its peak with the media, the general public still really don't give a sh*t about AFL.

20 years on they win a comp yet only averaged 13,500 bums on seats per week and about 130,000 ratings for their H & A season.

Let 'em bring on the second team, it'll be an unmitigated distaster.

lotti

Bench
yes it's been 72 years since the Swans won the flag and it's also the first time they've won as Sydney as a former Melbournite(I left 2 years after the Swans did) and Delta Goodrem fan I'm loving the fact the Swans won.

Timmah

Staff member
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Force feed?

FFS, AFL has been over-hyped and over-televised and over-advertised ever since the Pink twinkies lobbed in Sydney. Yet the bandwagon is at its peak with the media, the general public still really don't give a sh*t about AFL.

20 years on they win a comp yet only averaged 13,500 bums on seats per week and about 130,000 ratings for their H & A season.

Let 'em bring on the second team, it'll be an unmitigated distaster.

Then for christ sake EA, if nothing's going to come of it, let it god-damn well go. They don't appear a threat then why are you so vehemently against them?

Didn't we have this discussion already?

If someone comes here to push an AFL barrow, I'll be one of the guys pushing him toward reality.

We keep getting told that AFL is going to do this and that, well, they haven't done sh*t other than throw money at it to try and make it popular here. They even give them a huge salary cap advantage.

I saw one of the players on the news telling the crowd that they won it for all the South Melbourne bloods supporters and the Sydney supporters.... LOL

Sydney Swans my arse.

They're as representative of Sydney as Eddie McGuire is.

eelandia

Juniors
dodge said:

You're kidding aren't you. I get some of my best ammo from these threads...fringe supporters who want an argument have no answer to them (that is, most Swans and Tahs fans).

Dutch Oven

Juniors
This is the first time living in Sydney that I've felt the footy season is over before the NRL grand final has even been played. I know a lot of people who feel the same way. Once the Swans match ended last Saturday the footy season ended with it which is a weird thing to say in Sydney after an AFL Grand Final. The build up to the NRL Grand Final in the media is nothing compared to what the Swans received last week and will still receive right up until the ticker tape parade on Friday. Sydney is finally tuning into what is the bigger national event.

Start the cricket now!

Dutch Oven

Juniors
dodge said:
Then for christ sake EA, if nothing's going to come of it, let it god-damn well go. They don't appear a threat then why are you so vehemently against them?

SO you are saying the AFL is not a threat in Sydney :lol:

You obvioulsy haven't seen the plans footy has for Sydney my friend. They are already making inroads through Auskick programs and the media if you haven't noticed and the fab result last Saturday will only accelerate the process. The AFL aren't here to be number two, they don't have international expansion to strive for so they are putting all their eggs into the Sydney basket. Even the NSW government is on side with us. We know how fickle most Sydney sports fans are and the AFL will do everything to try and turn that fickleness into a weekly passion which will be become a reailty when a second side is introduced within 10 years. As they said on those Channel 10 ads last year, AFL IS EVERYWHERE!

wittyfan

Referee
Once Iemma is voted out in 2007, the Government may not be on the AFL's side anymore.

Say hi to Beaussie for me, Dutchy!

wittyfan

Referee
Dutch Oven said:
This is the first time living in Sydney that I've felt the footy season is over before the NRL grand final has even been played. I know a lot of people who feel the same way. Once the Swans match ended last Saturday the footy season ended with it which is a weird thing to say in Sydney after an AFL Grand Final. The build up to the NRL Grand Final in the media is nothing compared to what the Swans received last week and will still receive right up until the ticker tape parade on Friday. Sydney is finally tuning into what is the bigger national event.

Start the cricket now!

It's still too cold for cricket!

Dutch Oven said:
SO you are saying the AFL is not a threat in Sydney :lol:

You obvioulsy haven't seen the plans footy has for Sydney my friend. They are already making inroads through Auskick programs and the media if you haven't noticed and the fab result last Saturday will only accelerate the process. The AFL aren't here to be number two, they don't have international expansion to strive for so they are putting all their eggs into the Sydney basket. Even the NSW government is on side with us. We know how fickle most Sydney sports fans are and the AFL will do everything to try and turn that fickleness into a weekly passion which will be become a reailty when a second side is introduced within 10 years. As they said on those Channel 10 ads last year, AFL IS EVERYWHERE!

I think you are confusing a threat with acceptance.

Record crowds, records ratings for this NRL season indicate Rugby League is as strong at it has ever been in Sydney. AFL are getting greater interest to, but it has not been at the expense of League.

Additionally, we Sydney folk are quite open-minded folk by nature, and will take an interest in all things new. But we can also be creatures of habit, and lose interest when the shows over and success is on the slide.

Example 1 - Rugby Union. Post World cup 2003 interest in union was at record levels in Sydney and indeed across the country. It was proposed in some quarters that this would kick-start a wave to rival League as the No1 game in the Harbour City.
Come 2005 - Union, while still having a great following, has not reached that peak. It is as popular now as it was prior to the World Cup. Still no2.

Example 2 - Soccer. Apart from the obvious bunglings by the now defunct NSL, Soccer always hit record levels of interest in the Australian qualifiers for wrold cups. Addtionally - the last world cup in Japan/Korea attracted record ratings. Once again, it was seen that this interest needed to be capitalised on - and again talks were it had the ability to take the no1 mantle in Sydney. Soccer has always had string participation at junior level, but does not carry through to senior level. We now have the A-League, and so we'll see how this goes.

Example 3 - The Swans. When they came up in 82 - this was the new show. All glitz and glamour, the swans attracted major interest as the new kid on the block. Capper, Edelsten, pink lamborghini's. They had initial success on the field but when they started losing on the field, they also lost off the field. Come 96 (coincidently the start of the superleague war), they pumped money into the club and had on-ground success again - bringing the crowds back. Membership was at record levels and you couldn't get a ticket to the game. People flocked to see something different. A few years later, they start losing games, they start losing fans. They still travelled well in terms of crowd support, but never stayed near the heights of 96. The killer is that they don't rate well on TV - meaning their appeal to the wider public is quite low.

Example 4 - The Sydney Kings. Fly-by-nighters, in the late 80's & early 90's they were the hit team in town. Sell out crowds, it was the new game in town. The kings weren't winning titles, but they had fans leaking out the entertainment centre - and live FTA coverage. Where are they now??? 2 titles in the last two seasons, but they might as well be lepers.

All these sports have had success at one point or another here, have promised development at a junior level to get more kids involved, and pumped their chest out talking up their credentials to take on league as the main show in town.

I'm not a fan of the sport, but good luck to the swans for their recent success. I don't begrudge them that. But we've heard all this talk before. We accept these sides sports as part of Sydney, and each has its core of support. But as for overall dominance - none can compete with League. I doubt any will well beyond my lifetime.

Green Machine

First Grade
Dutch Oven said:
This is the first time living in Sydney that I've felt the footy season is over before the NRL grand final has even been played. I know a lot of people who feel the same way.
You probably should increase your circle of friend(s) if you think there will be no interest in Sunday night’s NRL Grand Final.
Dutch Oven said:
Once the Swans match ended last Saturday the footy season ended with it which is a weird thing to say in Sydney after an AFL Grand Final.
According to you?
Dutch Oven said:
The build up to the NRL Grand Final in the media is nothing compared to what the Swans received last week and will still receive right up until the ticker tape parade on Friday. Sydney is finally tuning into what is the bigger national event.
Belief is a great thing
Dutch Oven said:
Start the cricket now!
I wonder if the Super Test Cricket match will out rate the Tri Series Rugby League Test on the same weekend, with the Sydney audience?