What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there anything they won't do?

stumped

Juniors
Just got a glimpse on fox sport, what morals if any has this club! why in the world would thay want Greg Bird and the baggage that comes with him? I am very gratful that I refused to renew my membership with this club of no moral. Thank god the NSWRL has stood up and finally put rugby league first.

Last edited:

stumped

Juniors
no, not yet according to Fox sport, only thing that stopped him playing for the jets was Ricky Stuart got wind of Newtowns decission and he got the Sharks CEO to contact the NRL/NSWRL, the nswrl has requested that a contract be lodged with them prior to him taking the field. fox also said Newtown are chasing Todd Carney!!!

brendothejet

First Grade
Im disgusted that a club that presents itself as a family based team, a last vestige of the honour of Rugby League, one of the 'good guys' would go and try to sign a player like Bird.

regardless of how the glassing pans out his career is riddled with incidents of bad sportsmanship, eye gouging, high tackles, dangerous and foul play, a disrespect for the rules and his responsibility to a team and to fans.

I cannot believe that Newtown have stooped so slow.

I hope the powers in charge of teh game do all they can to block this move and if they don't expect to hear a lot more about it from fans like me who are disgusted.

silverfox

Juniors
do they not understand the social ramifications of this. in a time when we are trying to promote rugby league to women and kids and newtown are getting good at that, this is going to all bought undone! i know some of the sponsors wont be happy with this decision. and the underhanded way it was done. the man is innocent until proven but have to agree with BTJ - his track record speaks for itself and if there was nothing else in it he would still be playing for the sharks!

they say any publicity is good but the perception of condoning this players behaviour is an absolute disgrace!

I havent renewed my membership yet but thinking twice now!

Last edited:
He wont stop looking into alternates either. I really cant see him getting a run with any side bar a junoir side. In that instance, i'd probably put some money on him going for a cronulla sutherland side. Me being a young player of a club in the shire [como-jannali], if he were to join my club, im sure many people would leave. We are the foundation club of the shire and i dont think many of the officials of the club would even allow bird to train with us.

bucks1972

Juniors
I couldn't agree with the sentiments of others on this forum. This guy is a grub the likes of which we do not want in our game, let alone at Newtown.

From the article in todays Sunday Telegraph, appears the Geoff Carr at the NSWRL has been told that he will be receiving a contract for Bird to play with Newtown this year. Doesn't mean that it will be registered, but the mere fact that it would be considered is enough for me! I certainly will not be attending a Newtown games this year, and know for a fact that a number of the long term Newtown sponsors are reconsidering sponsorship for 2009 and beyond

jets75

Juniors
is it worth pissing off our sponsors for this grub? I think not! The club is always crying poor and 2 think they would even consider it is a joke

brendothejet

First Grade
if he comes and plays for newtown i ll be unfurling a banner across the hill that says

"GREG BIRD? SHAME ON NEWTOWN."

Has anyone thought that it's just a publicity stunt by the club?? Think of all the media attention that it's recieved in the past week or so.....

Bluebags1908

Juniors
I think it's a publicity stunt. Given the Jets great publicity. Although associating yourself with grubs like Bird and Carney isnt a good image to project.