What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there such a thing as bad publicity?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I was pondering this last night after I picked up yesterdays West Australian. Now this paper rarely gives RL any inches yet yesterday the Storm were 1/2 front page, full back page and two full inside pages. Short of the Eagles winning a GF I haven't seen a club get that much coverage! Then driving home Triple J's Hack program was dedicated to discussing the Storm for its entire program.

Got me thinking if the eventual outcome of this won't actually be a massively higher profile for the game and for the Storm?

westie

Bench
When was the last time any sport in Aus was on the front page of every paper in the country?

And some journos asked "will this kill the game?". RL thrives on this sh*t.

VictoryFC

Bench
Of course there is such a thing as bad publicity, which is why there is whole industry dedicated to preserving images. I get what you're saying, and in some cases any publicity, including bad, is welcome. This is not one of them. Perhaps most importantly, sponsors have abandoned the Storm, and the sheer magnitude of this story probably won't be inviting any new sponsors any time soon. For Melbourne as a club, there is absolutely such a thing as bad publicity.

clarency

Juniors
I'd be safe to say this may help? People have gone way over the top. Melbourne admin need get to work and rebrand the Storm, start again from the beginning. The coverage this is getting is the positive aspect that needs to be taken advantage of in this negative event.

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
There is no such thing as bad publicity (in terms of exposure) when trying to break into a market but the Storm will feel blow back financially from this escapade in the short term.

Last edited:

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
I will maintain channel nine has done more damage to the Storm through poor coverage than any scandal could ever do.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

Exactly.

You'd think that people would learn after the amount of sh*t that has happened to the game in the past decade or so... RL thrives on controversy, the game has been growing the last few years in the face of some incredibly negative coverage.

Dragonwest

Juniors
The thing I don't quite get about sponsors jumping ship is will anyone make a moral judgement on those companies involved with the Storm? Couldn't a sponsor do very well out of this by saying something along the lines of 'We understand the shortcoming of the club but we have made a commitment to the club and their fans to see this through and help them rebuild!'

Johns Magic

Referee
Exactly.

You'd think that people would learn after the amount of sh*t that has happened to the game in the past decade or so... RL thrives on controversy, the game has been growing the last few years in the face of some incredibly negative coverage.

The major difference is that those past discretions have been about player behaviour and not the sport itself. This has shown up the whole competition of the last 5 years as a sham.

m0nty

Juniors
Hmm, obviously the reason crowds are down this year is due to a lack of really juicy sex scandals involving players. :sarcasm:

babyg

Juniors
If it turns out that the players and coaches are totally innocent then I definitely think this will eventually lead to increased support. Some points:

Most will sorry for the players already.
The harsh penalty will lead to an us (vic) vs them (NRL and Sydney) mentality.
Crisis can often bond people and make them stronger.
If they play their cards right, any rebuilding activity should get some publicity. Including new sponsors.

When was the last time any sport in Aus was on the front page of every paper in the country?

I think you have a point. Especially in WA where RL is rarely in the paper to any great degree.

Of course there is such a thing as bad publicity, which is why there is whole industry dedicated to preserving images. I get what you're saying, and in some cases any publicity, including bad, is welcome. This is not one of them. Perhaps most importantly, sponsors have abandoned the Storm, and the sheer magnitude of this story probably won't be inviting any new sponsors any time soon. For Melbourne as a club, there is absolutely such a thing as bad publicity.

I think it will hurt at the top end of town for a while. But amongst the general populace I think it will do wonders. You see, people with no attachment to the Storm now know EVERYTHING ABOUT THEM. That is good. The bad publicity is indeed bad.....but remember we live in a morally corrupt society, as is most of the western world. We care we have been "cheated" even if its not directly affecting us to a large extent personally. But those feelings will fade. You must also consider that sporting teams images are largely determined by the players, and for now the players are not involved. People identify with the players, not the CEO - and in this case it has been the CEO, so I think a "new" imaged Storm will be ok eventually, and News are sticking by them. Bravo. In time, all will be good. Remember: the villains of yesterday can be the heroes of tommorow

I'd be safe to say this may help? People have gone way over the top. Melbourne admin need get to work and rebrand the Storm, start again from the beginning. The coverage this is getting is the positive aspect that needs to be taken advantage of in this negative event.

People are reacting and I agree this has seen it go way over the top. But this was dramatic news. It ties in with a whole raft of things, not the least the direction the game is headed....and quite seriously amongst the public now there is a groundswell (for years actually) of support for the NRL to "get it right".

The game can ride that wave IF it delivers results owing to such a cause.

NRLMad

Juniors
Let's see how the dust settles... I think you may be right, eventually..

I saw somewhere that some guy actually became a member on the back of this,.. He was a QLDer who was being heckled..

In general, NSW/QLDers hate VIC - so from a VIC perspective they may really stand up against it..

2000 members turned up to AAMI park today.. That's as ure way of proving a point... they'll stick by the storm..

Fickle storm supporters will def disappear... But most people who have been with the club from day 1 will eventually return...

THis can't be as bad as Souths being kicked out...

Also, Jayco & Suzuki upped their sponsorships!

Hanscholo

Bench
Do we have a choice?

I guess its better than not being seen at all. But it would be nice if it was for the right reasons again, like late last season.

FamilyFirst

Juniors
I was pondering this last night after I picked up yesterdays West Australian. Now this paper rarely gives RL any inches yet yesterday the Storm were 1/2 front page, full back page and two full inside pages. Short of the Eagles winning a GF I haven't seen a club get that much coverage! Then driving home Triple J's Hack program was dedicated to discussing the Storm for its entire program.

Got me thinking if the eventual outcome of this won't actually be a massively higher profile for the game and for the Storm?

The problem is that everyone reading it is having a good laugh at the Storm and waiting for their demise.

Perth, this is your dream come true. Melbourne should be stuffed! They are a laughing stock (have made RL a laughing stock) and if News has any sense they will pull out of Melbourne, possibly making way for Perth. Personally, I think News is dumb enough to continue to sink good money after bad into the Storm under the illusion that everyone else is stupid enough to think the NRL is a national competition. After all, Straya did have the benson and hedges word series for however long!

The imminent death of the storm could be WA rugby leagues saviour!

FF