What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this a great Rivalry?

eagles4eva

Coach
I have noticed recently the media banging on about "bitter rivals" or great rivial's or "Recent rivals" (more likely).

My question (yes we have played off in a few finals), but as fellow eagles fans, do you feel Eagles vrs mexicans is a great rivalry?

I still love a win over Parra more!

zombie jesus

Staff member
It's turning in to a good rivalry, probably the most consistent sides since 2006, 2 of the best coaches, the Orford/Kimmorley swap back in the day, then we bought Orford and Bell a few years later, they flogged us in '07, we demolished them in '08, there's been some very good close games over the years. Melbourne are a young club and their rivalries are developing and evolving, won't mind if we are one of them.

caspersparks

Juniors
for me this is "the" team i love to beat the most and look forward 2 the most.. as much as i hate the eels, i still went for them over the storm last year... i HATE the storm..

it is definetly a great rivalry, esp in modern times for fans who were too young to remember the manly vs eels clashes of the past..

i hope the storm fans feel the same about us..esp after they got pants 40-0... rivalrys are GREAT for the game

stoodamire

Juniors
Yeah great rivals indeed, but whenever we play them i'm never ever confident, except in the 08 grand final, i knew it was our time...

Shoulders Matai

Juniors
The storm are the Spicegirls of the NRL
Manufactured, no soul, no substance and as soon as News Ltd pull the plug they will be forgotten.

That said bellyache is a great CLUB coach but i think his true test will come at the next club he goes to when he doesnt get the advantages of coaching a club that owned by the same company that part owns the game.

Scarves

Juniors
From 1976 to 1983 Manly vs Parra featured in many massive clashed including 3 grand finals and a few classic semi finals. That is more than 25 years ago and many youngsters have no idea about the why's or hows of the Manly v Parra rivalry, but they understand there is a rivalry and cheer hard for their respective clubs.

I know all about the Eels, the 82, 83 games burned into my psych. My father telling me of the hatred of Parra, passing it down.

IF Melbourne and Manly continue to clash in high powered encounters over the next five years, rest assured, today's 8-14 year olds will be brewing over this rivalry for many years. And rivarlies once identified never go away.

For me, I only hate the teams I respect, if I don't hate your team, well I probably don't rate your team. Deep down, I reckon this is true for most fans.

Last edited:

eagles4eva

Coach
From 1976 to 1983 Manly vs Parra featured in many massive clashed including 3 grand finals and a few classic semi finals. That is more than 25 years ago and many youngsters have no idea about the why's or hows of the Manly v Parra rivalry, but they understand there is a rivalry and cheer hard for their respective clubs.

I know all about the Eels, the 82, 83 games burned into my psych. My father telling me of the hatred of Parra, passing it down.

IF Melbourne and Manly continue to clash in high powered encounters over the next five years, rest assured, today's 8-14 year olds will be brewing over this rivalry for many years. And rivarlies once identified never go away.

For me, I only hate the teams I respect, if I don't hate your team, well I probably don't rate your team. Deep down, I reckon this is true for most fans.

Well said Scarves

I am one of those who remembers the early eighties and it sucked, but i did love tonights game

Snoop

Coach

Wise words.

As for the hate, even with Gallen and Sticky I am finding it hard to hate the Sharks. I think I have replaced hatred with laughter.

Scarves

Juniors
Another rivalry.... looks like another dead club. I think I spoke way too soon about the rivalry between Manly and the Storm. This Salary Cap drama just set the game back to 1998 in Victoria. They have bigger issues now.

t-ba

Post Whore
Supporters of this club should be proud that our team stuck it to the Storm at the peak of their powers. To hand the Storm their arses to them like our 2008 team did has been made all the more remarkable by these revelations.

It's also fitting that Manly closed the era out by beating this 'dynasty' one final time on Monday night.

But sh*t, I hope they don't fold as a consequence.

Latest posts